Noahlk
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 R8500 netgear downloader

Why do the routers below the r8500 have the netgear downloader option but the supposed higher end one doesn't have this simple option? Is it coming should I just switch to Kong? Any suggestions anyone netgear reps care to chime in? I have a had attached to USB 3 port awesome being able to share files but would like to be able to use the netgear downloader function also.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500 netgear downloader

Hi @Noahlk

Welcome to the community!

The NETGEAR Downloader will be added in the next firmware release.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 44
Noahlk
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the info any insider info you might have on the release date of the new firmware? As I am new to the router I was not able to find the release dates of each firmware in the release notes only last updated so couldn't tell if every month or longer or less.  Thanks in advance!

Noah

Message 3 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I cannot guarantee but it might be this October.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 44
Izzudin
Tutor

Any news about the firmware update? Already end of the year and still no netgear downloader on r8500...
Message 5 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This firmware will be rolled out soon. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 44
Noahlk
Aspirant

So just updated the firmware and still nothing I hope it doesn't end up being just pipe dreams two firmwares and still no downloader or improvements to ui, I hope full mimo comes soon too!

Let's keep our fingers crossed guys for this absolute great product getting even better!!!

Message 7 of 44
Izzudin
Tutor

It's mid feb already... is the firmware with netgear downloader coming soon?

Message 8 of 44
dcinca
Apprentice

It's mid March already... I am thinking not buying Netgear products for my next router.

This is what happen to me.I have to download to my computer hard drive and then upload to the disk which is connected to the R8500 router. Then I can enjoy the movies on my TV. The netgear downloader can make this easier. Just a simple update takes so long...

Message 9 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We will inform the community as soon as this fix becomes available.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 44

Awaiting arrival since Star Wars 7 release!

Let's hope that for the 8th it will be released!

Message 11 of 44
Noahlk
Aspirant

It seems like it's going to be a long wait been almost a year still no support if you know others that would like this and other features include would encourage them to join and add to this thread, or create another for other features looking at you mimo 

Message 12 of 44

I can only agree with you, we are drifting on the same thugboat!!!

Message 13 of 44
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

For those who would like to try the beta for R8500 with NETGEAR downloader, feel free to send me a private message. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 44
Krycek
Tutor

Still nothing ? When do Netgear downloader (BitTorrent) will be available on this router ?
Message 15 of 44
Izzudin
Tutor

It's mid october and nearing end of the year... still no netgear downloader for R8500 on official firmware. are the abandoning us or what?

Message 16 of 44
Krycek
Tutor

The 1.0.2.106 firmware is released with support of a useless netgear up app. And guess what... still no netgear downloader.
Message 17 of 44

A 2 Y/O stuff should have that feature already in place 18 months ago!!!!

Message 18 of 44
LimpX
Initiate

Shame long chose router between R8500 and Asus RT-AC5300, given that Netgear is more expensive, I was confident in the quality and features that he had more, but I was disappointed, you spit on your users, so many years and no updates with useful things. It is difficult to add support for download?!

Message 19 of 44
Noahlk
Aspirant

It is sad but true all these years I have supported netgear router after router and now my patience is running things with the updatesame and support for their products. If I spend this much on a router and it doesn't even run out of the box with dentures it said it had but only with future updates. Then now slow to update firmware and support their users requests for features shame on netgear time to look for alternatives.

Message 20 of 44

I may be pig headed or grumpy whatever!!! Those complains are just the tip of the iceberg you are loosing customers with that attitude!!!!I do no understand the way people from upstairs are running their business. People at the highest level should be ashamed of themselves or they have been in our swamp for years!!

Message 21 of 44

Message 22 of 44
Krycek
Tutor

Luckily my netgear router enter a « reboot loop » (Google it it’s a very common hardware problem and with no solution). I returned it to Amazon and bought Asus rt-ac5300 which supports torrent and nzb (usenet) download. Bye bye Netgear and good luck to other customers.
Message 23 of 44

I am sorry for you.

Guys from upstairs that is a 200$ loss!!

Message 24 of 44
LimpX
Initiate

400$ 🤬
Message 25 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements