Krycek
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500 netgear downloader

Amazon have all refunded (300$) Smiley Happy
Message 26 of 44

Guys from upstairs it is time to act because customers are really unhappy!!

Message 27 of 44

R8500-R7000 torrent issue.jpg

R8500 300$ no download feature. R7000 170$ feature avalable!!! What is wrong with that picture?

Message 28 of 44
tonybcc
Aspirant

I`m thinking of seling my router as well. I`ve checked snology and asus and I`m almost certain to swap router after beeing attached to Netgear for years.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 29 of 44

By memory R8500 Public release was 2.5 years ago and R7000 feature realese was 2 years ago!

Netgear you've got the fire in your house!!!!

@ElaineM  can we have some explaining and a tight schedule to solve that non sense?!!!!

Message 30 of 44
vagrant_h
Aspirant

I'm a R8500 user who needs this function too.
The netgear downloader is really a useful function.
I don't know why netgear refuse to add it in R8500,
And there's no capable custom firmware (openwrt/lede/merlin) for this model.
Now I felt regret for buying this model.
Message 31 of 44
vagrant_h
Aspirant

回复: Nighthawk X8 R8500 netgear downloader

I'd like to give a way to add "downloader function" to R8500(definitely unofficial), it's not a step by step instruction, so it needs some knowledge about linux.

As we know the router is just like a linux computer, you could:

1. connect the usb hdd/ssd to router

2. copy rightful "aria2 binary" to hdd/ssd

3. use telnet to run "aria2 binary" as daemon

4. use "aria2 web gui" to connect to your router, you may need ddns configured here

Message 32 of 44
dcinca
Apprentice

@ElaineM We are still waiting for this!

One year and five months already!

Have you guys forgotten it?

I bought 3 Netgear routers, R7000 for my parents, R7800 for my parents in law, and R8500 for myself. No Netgear Downloader for me, unhappy!!! This will be one of the reasons of custom loss. I may try ASUS next time, though I love Netgear's stabilization.

Message 33 of 44

For sure I don't know how this house is ruled but that's a mess!!!

I puchased picutres online in shop next door to test I was not satisfied they refunded me the stuf in 3 days!!!

We should shake the coconut tree harder!!!!!!

SHAME on THEM!!

Message 34 of 44

Is there any news on that subject?

Message 35 of 44
Izzudin
Tutor

It's middle of Feb 2018. When is netgear downloader coming for us? I thought they would gave us a Christmas present but no... they decided to abandon us?!
Message 36 of 44

This is not space rocketry that's some just a few lines of code it is almost 3 years and we are still toasted!

I must be the only device still having this feature missing!!!

Message 37 of 44
tonybcc
Aspirant

Just give up guys. I recently bought new router from Synology and never come back to Netgear again. And I say even more once company laid to me i will never use her products again. I suggest to do the same. Since I bought Synology rt2600ac I'm reciving updates and have download option in standard. No more bagging. No more netgear, ever!
Message 38 of 44
schumaku
Guru

@tonybccwrote:
Just give up guys. I recently bought new router from Synology and never come back to Netgear again. And I say even more once company laid to me i will never use her products again. I suggest to do the same. Since I bought Synology rt2600ac I'm reciving updates and have download option in standard.

Syno would love to sell you a nice NAS for the DownlodStation instead for sure. Worth mentioning here is that Syno does have a very narrow product line when it comes to routers, two models when I have it right. Nice products, excellent user interface. Netgear does try much more to be on the leading end of the hardware capabilities, implementing the hardware vendors platforms, pre-standards, while keeping a lot of legacy or standard "features" ... and the user base is a high price for this. This does it make difficult to change the direction for Netgear. I'm wondering myself for a longer time about Netgear's lethargy (an attempt for not writing ignorance) when it comes to the Nighthawk product line. 

In my opinion, and for most deployments we're doing beyond of small apartments, the monolithic consumer routers have no future. Technology lifetime of some parts - specifically wireless - is running in a much shorter loop than the switching. 10 years ago, GbE became standard. Not far away, MultiGig is becoing the standard (2.5/5/10 Gb). Once the user has a switch infrastructure, there is no need to renew it every one or two years. Same for the router engine itself. Same for the security appliance.

Message 39 of 44
tonybcc
Aspirant

Yes they have only 2 products and therefore it os easier to support them but there is no excuse for Netgear because you not going to tell me that thay can update existing routers? It is very poor service and that's why I said good bye to Netgear. No more. I would buy new x500 but knowing what I know now I'll pass.
Message 40 of 44
Wildboy13
Initiate

already changed to ASUS never buy netgear again
Message 41 of 44

Guys can't you make some effort in implrmenting in all Nighthawk portfolio Torrent feature!!

Message 42 of 44
dcinca
Apprentice

@BretD

Hi Community Manager!

You Are Driving Customers Away!!! Still Not Saying Anything?

Message 43 of 44

@dcinca  you are absolutly pointing the real weakness of that brand customer hearing!!!

Car manufacurers are creating in 2 year a brand new model.

This technology does not have all the rules and norms so it should be easy to implement that!!

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements