× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR1000 no internet

Scratch159
Tutor

Nighthawk XR1000 no internet

I have an Arris TM1602 modem that shows that it is connected to the internet. Although, my Nighthawk XR1000 shows that both wifi bands are able to be connected to, they don’t have access to internet. They are only “connected locally” as it says. I am not sure what steps I should take to get the router fully connected to the internet.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Nighthawk XR1000 no internet

You can either hold the reset button in the back of the router with a pin or something similar for 30 seconds, wait 2 minutes then access the interface and go through the wizard or
instead of the physical button, if you have access you can go to Settings > Administration > Backup Settings and click erase

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Using WPA2 and AES only for security? 

Have you tried a factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC? 

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you get internet through ethernet on the XR? Are you able to access the interface at all? If this is your first time with the router have you accessed and completed the setup wizard as you will need to do that to get internet.
Message 3 of 10
Scratch159
Tutor

The firmware is up to date. WPA2 password for security. I have tried factory resetting from my phone but I don’t have a pc with an Ethernet port - all fairly new laptops.
Message 4 of 10
Scratch159
Tutor

No, this isn’t the first time using the router. I had just gotten a new modem from my ISP due to transferring service from my sister and into my name. (Therefore new account warrants new equipment.) and it was working just fine with the old router. Not sure why this new one won’t pick up signal.
Message 5 of 10
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

If you connect directly to the new modem, do you have internet access?

From a device connected to the XR1000 via Wi-Fi, are you able to get to the XR1000 interface by going to 192.168.1.1 in the web browser?

Since factory resetting the XR, you'll need to run through the setup wizard again to get a connection.

Message 6 of 10
Scratch159
Tutor

Perhaps I’m not doing the factory reset properly. Could you run me through the steps of doing a factory reset? Maybe I’m missing something…
Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can either hold the reset button in the back of the router with a pin or something similar for 30 seconds, wait 2 minutes then access the interface and go through the wizard or
instead of the physical button, if you have access you can go to Settings > Administration > Backup Settings and click erase
Message 8 of 10
Scratch159
Tutor

Turns out my ISP sent me the wrong modem. 🙄 I then followed your factory reset tips and got er working. Thanks a ton!
Message 9 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thanks for the update!
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7