× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nighthawk ac 1750 can't find dns server

I have only had my Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 for a few weeks, but several times now it has dropped my internet connection. I get an error message that says 'can't connect to dns server'. I have Windows 10 on a Dell desktop pc. If I power off and on my router, it can again connect. What is the problem here and how do I avoid dropping my connection. Do I need to return the router? This is not an internet provide problem (Xfinity) - I can connect to my modem's wireless even when the Ethernet connection is dropped. I can also directly connect my computer's ethernet to the Xfinity modem and it will then connect.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted

Re: Nighthawk ac 1750 can't find dns server

I am having the same problem with the AC 1900 (R7000) but it did not happen until after a few weeks of using the router so I can't take it back (purchased at Best Buy, they have a 14 day return policy). I had configured the DNS settings to use OpenDNS and shortly after this the internet connection dropped with the message 'can't connect to dns server'. I changed the configuration back to using my ISP DNS and it happened again. It's happened now about three times in a month.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

How do you get the internet to run. Do you have to restart the router like I have done? Also, won't Netgear stand by its product and send a replacement?

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

Yes, I had to restart the router but I had never done a hard reboot, (disconnecting the power) so I tried that a few days ago and so far so good. If the problem happens again I have phone/chat support with Netgear until 9/6/19. They will probably just tell me to reset the router back to factory settings.

Message 4 of 4