Nighthawk app, how to change wifi channels?

Nighthawk app, how to change wifi channels?

I just tried to use the Genie app for my Nighthawk router, which I have always preferred to do because it is a better app than the Nighthawk app. When I tried to open the app on my iPhone, I got the message that support for my Nighthawk router no longer exists for the Genie app and that I now HAVE to use the Nighthawk app (yuck). Tried to then use the Nighthawk app as directed. So, true to form, I cannot find where in that substandard app to change the channels for the wireless radios. Does that option exist, and if not, why the heck not? It is a basic function that should be included.

Message 1 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk app, how to change wifi channels?

Nope, can't do it with 'Nighthawk'. Almost a useless app as far as I'm concerned. I guess it might work for some, but it is limited. Since you are on mobile, use a browser to log into the router and change it there. You might disconnect though, but should be able to reconnect easily.

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

There is no Wi-Fi channel control on the Nighthawk App as of writing, indeed. This was discussed several times e.g. in the Nighthawk App community section already... You might have to use either the router Web based Genie, or the desktop (macOS, Windows) Genie. Somehow I fear Netgear consumer BU does not care what we are talking of here.

Message 3 of 9
myersw
Master

Somehow I fear Netgear consumer BU does not care what we are talking of here.

Which leads me to why even use Netgear if they do not care about the end user? 

David Henry, one of the high mucky mucks does not follow forums, obviously from his comments that say with Netgear routers you configure place on shelf, or where ever, and forget. If folks like Henry do not follow froums why would I think things will get any better. The firmware support is a joke from lack of testing and QA before releasing to the end user. Has same issues that were reported several releases back. Would feel better about things if known issues from several releases back were fixed. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Bill, you know, some times I actually wonder why you are here? You seem sometimes hell bent on driving others away from Netgear and the investment they made? Yes, you do help sometimes, but it is posts like this I find 'annoying' to say the least.

"Which leads me to why even use Netgear if they do not care about the end user?"

Do you have PROOF they do not? Don't point to problems, nor requests not honored? I know what can happen when you put out a product. I know what happens when parts fail and what has to be done. Do you have that experience?

None of that is proof a company doesn't case? Do you have INSIDE information to share that proves your point?

"David Henry, one of the high mucky mucks does not follow forums"

Maybe not, but don't you think he would have better things to do? Don't you think he might have someone who does? Do you have PROOF this is not happening? Do you know the job description and requirements for Moderator's here?

"obviously from his comments that say with Netgear routers you configure place on shelf, or where ever, and forget."

Where do you get the garbage from? How many times do you CHANGE any settings on a router. Yes, this assumes it works, true, but guess what, THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD WORK!!!!

"If folks like Henry do not follow forums why would I think things will get any better. "

Give me a break, see above... unless you have proof he knows what is happening here and tells people to forget about it!

"The firmware support is a joke from lack of testing and QA before releasing to the end user. Has same issues that were reported several releases back. Would feel better about things if known issues from several releases back were fixed. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. "

Absolutely TRUE, but that means nothing except what has happened. What you or I do NOT know is what is being done to FIX this mess? So tell me, what was the LAST date of ANY router firmware release? It was NOT recent from what I can see. Do you KNOW WHY? I don't, so if you do, tell us why?

With my dealings with the SMB 1 problem first hand with Support higher levels in Taiwan, I am 99% sure I was NOT working with Netgear Employees (could not even get them to answer that, I never spoke to them, only communicated via NOTEPAD on a TeamViewer session and that question was IGNORED more than once). At some point it was CLEAR I knew more about the problem and 'fix' than they did. Over almost a YEAR of back and forth, closing my case and having Netgear Moderator's force it open again, many hours of my time documenting, describing , and basic teaching support how to recreate, the same answer came back, MS's problem, talk to them. Hours spent connected to the first level of support (and talking) explaining and demonstrating the problem and showing web pages on what needed to be done (WSD implementation to replace SMB1) and getting told it isn't needed as SMB 3 is enabled, which had nothing to do with NETBIOS NAME resolution I was passed onto Level 3 in Taiwan. The folks who actually produce the code. I had 3 ID's on my machine watching. They FINALLY got the point. A few weeks later it was closed again, the REASON, they were NOT going to implement WSD on the router! Not that they don't have the 'skill' to do that, it might have more to do with a CONTRACT between Netgear and the 3rd party as to what is covered? That and the fact others are not doing anything about it even?

By the way ASUS, LINKSYS, TPLINK, and DLINK exhibit the SAME problem. ASUS made a public statement SMB 1 MUST be used for shares... does that mean they don't care about customers too? See https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037477/ for the official line from ASUS...

Me, I am here to help, not turn people away.

I know that people have problems. I do not know the percentage of those with problem, and I don't think you know either. Some are 'self-inflicted', other problems not due to the router or not understanding how some settings can cause things to happen. Some are just not knowledgeable about routers.

Yes, there is NO EXCUSE for the firmware released lately. I am sure sub-routines for many common functions, like the Attached Device List is used in many products. One bug can replicate across many routers. Still, the fact that there have been no recent releases I take as a positive, not a negative. The .60 f/w release of the R7000 was terrible, and a .64 was probably rushed out (it came out fairly soon to fix problems) but it might have been even worse. I think that opened some eyes and made Netgear step back and take stock of the Support organization and it processes and procedures, as well as the skill base. If you KNOW otherwise, enlighten us please.

As you and I have discussed before, we don't know what and how many reports go to Support directly, how many (percentage) this is, nor that in relation to sales, past or present. Also, when looking at forums for other residential vendors, by subject alone, they appear ot be similar. Reports on bad support, firmware bricking routers, new firmware bugs, Wireless and Internet disconnects, slow speeds, etc. NONE are better it seems, and again, not know the percentage of users with problem, skill level of users, it is hard to say one is better than any other. Almost all have no TRUE support people in the forums (Netgear does have DUMAS support people in that forum), and some are not even OFFICIAL VENDOR forums.

Off my soapbox for now.

Message 5 of 9

OK, so first of all, I did not ask the question to start a rant against another forum user. I welcome any and all responders simply because I am not usually here and therefore do not know some of the issues that regulars have discussed. When I enter a forum for help, it is usually only because I cannot find any information on a topic through a Google search, some of my usual tech resources online, or a search of the forum itself. I also frequently find myself being told that something has already been discussed in forums, but unfortunately, I have zero control over what results are returned to me when I perform a search before asking. In my experience, forum searches are notorious for returning **bleep**e results. So, when ANYONE takes the time to respond and provide me with information pertaining to either my situation or what their viewpoint of how a company has handled anything related to my situation is, I appreciate it.

All of you have taken the time to respond have my thanks. Each of you gave me the answer to my question in your own way, and they all furthered my knowledge on the topic. And yes, Netgear and every other company these days either seems incompetent in app writing, or just do not give a crap if we are all satisfied with how they handle our business. Nothing new there. That, by the way, is why we have to rely on each other. Cheers!

Message 6 of 9
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello WickedTechGirl

Sorry for the responses you have gotten. But you will need to log into the router via a web browser to change the wifi channel. I have linked a Kb below on how to do this.

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 7 of 9
IrvSp
Master

I did give you the answer in msg #3, and another user did too in msg #4. In msg #7 a Netgear moderator gave you the same answer.

I know you didn't ask so someone would complain about Netgear? That was done in msg #4, and is a constant stance here by that member who seems to have an axe to grind with Netgear,  and we've seen it many times. I just got fed up seeing this, sorry if I offended you.

Message 8 of 9

Holy carp you all! am the woman here. Smiley Wink  I know I got answers in the previous post. I said thank you to EVERY person who responded previously, and I said I got something from all the responses. I was also not offended by anyone. I was just concerned that there seemed to be an immediate attack from one member to another when the attacked member was just giving me his opinion...which we are all still entitled to in this country. The person doing the attacking also provided great information in his post as well though, so I was glad to see that. I would just like everyone to think twice before launching an attack on a fellow poster in the course of responding to a question here. Especially to a new person. It does not encourage us noobs to come back, for fear of being jumped on later for something.

Again, thank you to everyone for all of your helpful and kind information. I truly appreciate it. Peace out.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements