Re: Nighthawk app wont detect router

Djg1984
Guide

Nighthawk app wont detect router

For some reason both the nighthawk app and the wifi analytics app wont detect my router or wifi connection but netgear genie works fine. Is it because the firmware on the router needs updating as no matter what i have tried it just wont pick up the router. Any help would be appreciated.
Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The R7500 is not yet supported on the nighthawk app

https://kb.netgear.com/000055505/Which-products-support-the-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-app

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
Djg1984
Guide

Ok thanks darren. But what about rhe netgear wifi analytics app. That doesnt pick up my router and connection either. Is that also because of the same reason that the R7500 is not supported by that either.
Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Djg1984 wrote:
But what about rhe netgear wifi analytics app. That doesnt pick up my router and connection either. Is that also because of the same reason that the R7500 is not supported by that either.

There is no need for any specific router support - the WiFi Analytics app does just show some more information on wireless acess points on air the mobile has access to. Possible reasons are - beyond fo the router not emiting any wireless SSID (broken, or network name broadcast disabled aka. "hidden") - that e.g. Android devices won't use channels not available where the device is located, while the router is built/preconfigured for another wireless legislation. Other examples are wireless clients built for the US market which won't allow to see the 2.4 GHz channels 12 and 13, or a US configured router operated in Canada, Europe, or Russia where the mobile client isn't allowed to use some sets of channels.

Still curious in how the Genie App should work under these conditions.

Message 4 of 11
Djg1984
Guide

Yeah im a bit confused as the routers working perfectly fine. All devices wired and wireless connect to router without any issues at all. My android device works fine on wireless with everything but nighthawk app and wifi analytics. The router is configured correctly and no settings have been changed since i set it up on my network. My dad is a retired it and networking technician and i have pretty much same setup as he does apart from he has r7800. He showed me how to set up and configure everything. Im going to do a firmware update as there is one available and then see if that makes any difference and maybe try running the apps from ipad instead of android device. Apart from that i dont see why its not working and the genie app works fine.
Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

No rushed updates required.

Still don't fully understand on how you expect the Netgear WiFi Analytics App to detect your router. All it is supposed to see is it's wireless radios (all 2.4 and 5 GHz) broadcasted network names.

Shoudn't make a big difference from what you see in the Android - Network & Internet - WiFi or e.g. using the WiFi Analyzed app from the Play Store.
Message 6 of 11
Djg1984
Guide

No im not expecting to wifi analytics to pick up the router as such in a way like genie or nighthawk app. What i meant was the same as you have stated with the wireless signal from the router. It doesnt see any wireless signals from the router. I worded my reply wrong which is why it seemed like i was expecting it to detect the router. Genie sees thw wireless signal and strength but wifi analytics does not.
Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Still unclear to me.

Genie App does - once connected locally or remote - show things from the view of the router.

WiFi Analytics and the like show things as visible from the client.

And again the question: Is or are the network names (SSID/ hidden (name broadcast disabled) on your router? This would explain why the WiFi Analytics App won't show the network name.
Message 8 of 11
Djg1984
Guide

I am as unclear on this as you are. It just doesnt make sense. Genie app works perfectly as it should showing all network names and data/info as it should. Wifi analytics shows nothing like there is no network at all it just doesnt pick up anything. Pretty sure ssid name broadcasting is not hidden as i can see network name on every device and app that connects to the router. Have experienced no issues with my network at all every device and connection works perfectly as it should. Very strange.
Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Djg1984 wrote:
Wifi analytics shows nothing like there is no network at all it just doesnt pick up anything.

Some kind of App compatibility issue?

As mentined before, try an alternate WiFi Analyzer App, like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Message 10 of 11
Djg1984
Guide

Ok thanks will give that a go. But in regards to the other issue with the nighthawk app hopefully the app will support my r7500 router soon as apparently it doesnt. It supports the r7450 and r7800 but not the r7500 which seems odd but will wait and see.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E