Nighthawk as Repeater

falloutfry
Aspirant

Nighthawk as Repeater

I just picked up a second Nighthawk R7000 when I saw that my first one had a "Repeater" option.  However, once I started setting these up and realized that I had to remove all wireless security, I was a bit baffled.  In this day and age, how could any corporation suggest that you deliberately make your network vulnerable to attack?!?!? 

Can anyone confirm if this truly is the case?  If not, how can I set these two up?

FYI - We are in a colab space with offices spanning the length of one of the floors.  From the first to last office, it is roughly 400 ft.  My thought was to place the two routers about 150-200 ft apart to span our entire area.  We have WiFi available throughout the building, but we want to create a subnet that is a little more secure and not directly accessible by everyone in the building.  Thoughts?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk as Repeater

@falloutfry wrote:
My thought was to place the two routers about 150-200 ft apart to span our entire area. 

That's a hell of a span.

We have WiFi available throughout the building, but we want to create a subnet that is a little more secure and not directly accessible by everyone in the building. 

Could be a nightmare, trying to get two different wifi networks to coexist.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
falloutfry
Aspirant

The 150-200 is a starting point.  I would play with it of course until I found a sweet spot.

Right now, there are dozens of wireless networks in this building.  The "main" network that the building supplies is not good, so every other office hardwires a router and uses their own wireless.

Message 3 of 4

@falloutfry wrote:

The 150-200 is a starting point.  I would play with it of course until I found a sweet spot.

Going by the stretch of my R7800 and R7000P, even 50 feet is a long stretch. 200 feet would be at the bottom of the garden. Not a chance.

Check the products pages.

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

200 feet  would probably come into the category "gigantic home".

If you have one R7000, set it up and see how far you can walk away from it before the signal vanishes.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements