Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk d7000 v2 Internet throttling

getafixNZ
Aspirant

Nighthawk d7000 v2 Internet throttling

Hey guys,

I've been finding a quite strange issue, It seems my router is limiting the speed of my internet.

I recently upgraded my fibre connection from 200mbs to 900mbs and the speed is the same, so my isp got me to connect directly to the fibre ONT and run a pppoe connection, and turns out via that I'm getting the full speed.

So when I connect the nighthawk to the ONT via the same port and same cable, regardless of whether I connect to the nighthawk via wifi or ethernet, I'm getting downloads capped at 160mb/s.

I've turned off QoS, and can see no other reason that I'm getting this cap?

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk d7000 v2 Internet throttling

You do realise that you are using a DSL modem/router on a fibre connection?

Are you using it correctly? With a cable in the WAN port? (Looks like it should be LAN 4.)

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Have you read the bit in the manual Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service?

@getafixNZ wrote:

..wifi or ethernet, I'm getting downloads capped at 160mb/s.

Some wifi clients will never hget faster than 160 Mbps. That's what they were designed to deliver.

The wifi from the D7000 v2 won't be the fastest on the block either, although it should satisfy most wifi clients.

By the way, it may not matter, but you have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

DSL Modems & Routers

No need to repost there, unless you want to – that will just clutter up the place with duplicated messages – but you might find advice related to your hardware.

Message 2 of 4
getafixNZ
Aspirant

Hi Michael, Thanks for your response.

Yes I realise its a dsl modem on a fibre connection, Yes I have read the manual section. 

All the clients have 'ac' compliant network cards, and are well within range.

The interesting thing is that if I ethernet into the router, I get the same speed as the wifi. where as if i ethernet in the fibre ONT directly rather than through the Nighthawk, I can get 700mb/s.

Therefore, the ONT is putting out the correct speed to the nighthawk. That cable its going into the correct WAN port on it. And then the Router is somehow capping the ethernet and wifi connection for some reason.

Which is beyond me

Cheers

Mike

Message 3 of 4
getafixNZ
Aspirant

I've now done a factory reset, and unfortunately have exactly the same results.

It just seems like that wan port is not putting through the full speed it should be.

In the show statistics for the Internet tab, its showing that the wan port is connected at gigabit 1000M/Full

Im at a loss. I've checked through the options in it and disabled things like media server, QoS and Readyshare services

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7