Nighthawk does not recognize 8TB WD My Book Nighthawk AC 1900 R7000

GQphotography
Aspirant

Nighthawk does not recognize 8TB WD My Book Nighthawk AC 1900 R7000

Recently purchased Nighthawk AC 1900 R7000 & WD My Book 8 TB. external hard drive. Then plugging hard drive into front USB 3.0 port Nighthawk does not see hard drive. Contacted customer support & was told that I needed antivirus program to clean computer. Installed recommended AVG to clean computer & retried plugging in hard drive. I still have same issue.(note when plugging external hard drive directly into the computer USB port the drive can now be seen). Called customer service again & now being told that Nighthawk will not recognize hard drive larger than 4TB. Customer support now suggested that I purchase a 4TB or less hard drive. I have a 4TB external hard drive that is full, so that is why I purchased 8 TB hard drive. Sounds like the better recommendation would be return Nighthawk & buy another router.
Message 1 of 19
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk does not recognize 8TB WD My Book Nighthawk AC 1900 R7000

You didn't say, but I assume you had contacted WD Support, not Netgear's.

Whichever it was, USB hard drives that can be connected to almost any router that NG makes are NOT every one of those made. Many portable do not work at all, mostly because of the power draw from the USB port. Many that are formatted to other than FAT types or NTFS may not work. Almost every one is 4TB's or less in size. None work with multiple partitions on it. No Encrypted drives will work either.

There 'is' a KB article with a list of drives. It is a few month old, but I'd not vouch that ALL possible working drives are on it. Check HERE. There is a Seagate 8TB drive on the list (Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB SRD0PV1). All WD drives are 4TB's or less and one WD is stated not to work.

I have a WD My Book, 4TB,  and it wouldn't work in the USB port. It was a newer one that was made and shipped as compatible with Windows and Mac PC's. Was formatted in ExFat I recall. Caused a boot problem with my Dell as well. Reformatted it into NTFS and then it worked in the router as well.

Message 2 of 19
GQphotography
Aspirant

I contacted Net Gear as the WD drive works fine, just on when hooked up to Nighthawk. I to had a WD my cloud that worked fine with all computers on my network. Would not work when hooked up to Nighthawk. Found fix on internet that stated that My Cloud needs to run thru Net Gear switch. Purchased switch and now that My Cloud works with Nighthawk. Contacted Net Gear and was advised that I needed antivirus software, purchased AVG that was recommended, USB port still does not recognize WD My Book.

Again called Netgear support that now states that Nighthawk will not work with 8 TB harddrive and that I should buy smaller hard drive. Advised Netgear that I had a 4TB hard drive that was full so thats why I needed larger storage. Looking for router that can handle 8 TB hard drive instead continueing to purchase "fixes" recommended by Net Gear.

@IrvSp wrote:

You didn't say, but I assume you had contacted WD Support, not Netgear's.

Whichever it was, USB hard drives that can be connected to almost any router that NG makes are NOT every one of those made. Many portable do not work at all, mostly because of the power draw from the USB port. Many that are formatted to other than FAT types or NTFS may not work. Almost every one is 4TB's or less in size. None work with multiple partitions on it. No Encrypted drives will work either.

There 'is' a KB article with a list of drives. It is a few month old, but I'd not vouch that ALL possible working drives are on it. Check HERE. There is a Seagate 8TB drive on the list (Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB SRD0PV1). All WD drives are 4TB's or less and one WD is stated not to work.

I have a WD My Book, 4TB,  and it wouldn't work in the USB port. It was a newer one that was made and shipped as compatible with Windows and Mac PC's. Was formatted in ExFat I recall. Caused a boot problem with my Dell as well. Reformatted it into NTFS and then it worked in the router as well.

Message 3 of 19
myersw
Master

I cannot imagine what having a antivirus program running on PC would make a difference with the drive connecting and visible on the router. Maybe they have a purchase agreement with AVG. 😉

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, I too laughed at this. Just don't know why, but who knows what really happened?

Suspect that the possible reason would have been a firewall issue? A full blown A/V with a FW would allow the trusted network to come in.

I'm sort of surprised with the switch though? Not sure how it would be connected? If feeding the Router USB port that is surprising? A 'switch' is dumb, but who knows? Theoretically the USB port still has to deal with the filesystem, but maybe with a switch there it then gets to the External drive to handle? Just seems odd?

@GQphotography, there is a difference between  a My Book and a My Cloud so that might have had something to do with it? Not sure? Where did you find this, "Found fix on internet that stated that My Cloud needs to run thru Net Gear switch"?

Message 5 of 19

@GQphotography wrote:

Contacted Net Gear and was advised that I needed antivirus software, purchased AVG that was recommended, USB port still does not recognize WD My Book.

This is worrying and suspicious. Did you really contact Netgear, or did you ring a number that came up in a web search?

People turn up here from time to time ranting about being conned by Netgear support when it turned out that they talked to some scam merchant who sold them a pup.

Tech Support a Scam - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 19
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward

That could very well be with the site. Just out of curiosity the other day, I did a search and came across a site that uses the same color scheme as Netgear and looks pretty official. Had a chat session window so I played dumb for awhile with them. They quickly said they would need to call me and perhaps have to connect to correct the problem. I had not even discussed a problem yet. Very suspicious. They were very persistent as well when I indicated maybe later. Got rid of them finally by telling them I did not have a Netgear router. I suspect if you could slam the phone in a chat window I would have heard it from how quick they dropped the session. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 19

Search something like bing for

netgear router support

and see what comes up.

Look at the sites with "support" in the web address.

Don't be surprised at how many have nothing to do with Netgear the company.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

I cannot imagine what having a antivirus program running on PC would make a difference with the drive connecting and visible on the router. Maybe they have a purchase agreement with AVG. 😉

Bill, firewalls can do strange things. Blocking access if the network is not trusted for instance. More than once I've blocked access to stuff I shouldn't have. Once I was totally lost as I put in my back-up router, but the network IP Address was not the same as the router I was using. Took a few minutes to figure that one out.

Now thinking back to that converstation here, I don't think you can call NG? You can if in the Free Support period (which does vary by country I guess) open a case or use Chat I think? I forgot if you could actually call them? They WILL call you though after the case is open I guess? There are a few 'Netgear Router Support' sites on the web though. Same for all vendors, using the same number too.

Message 9 of 19

@IrvSp wrote:

Now thinking back to that converstation here, I don't think you can call NG? You can if in the Free Support period (which does vary by country I guess) open a case or use Chat I think? I forgot if you could actually call them?

In general that is true, but if you persevere, and you are in the right country, after many clicks in the support area you may be able to track down a genuine local phone number. (I saw one for the UK once.)

But you will not find that number anywhere in Googleland.

Another factor to consider is that Netgear itself does not provide the sport of paid-for support that needs a number for punters. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

We have yet to hear from @GQphotography about who they called.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 19
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@myersw wrote:

Bill, firewalls can do strange things. Blocking access if the network is not trusted for instance. More than once I've blocked access to stuff I shouldn't have. Once I was totally lost as I put in my back-up router, but the network IP Address was not the same as the router I was using. Took a few minutes to figure that one out.

@IrvSp

That can happen, however in this case they where having him install AVG. That would install a firewall. I am convinced this was not true Netgear support or even Gearhead. Installing antivirus to fix an access issue makes no sense to my tiny old brain. Can see it blocking access as you said. Have lots of experience with various antivirus packages and am currently running Bitdefender on all PC's, laptop and MAC laptop. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, Bill, well, yes it 'could'. Assuming no A/V or FW installed, Windows Defender would be in place. If that was the culprit, then installing ANY A/V w/FW or Suite would turn that off, certainly the FW function.

Now the OP didn't say if he had to pay them or not, nor if he had the FREE NG support? Suspect a 3rd party and they probably offered to fix it for a fee (or would have if they continued) and suggested installing the protection and knowing they'd call back and then pay? Stranger things have happened.

Message 12 of 19
myersw
Master

@IrvSp

If firewall or defender was a suspect they can be easily turned off without any additional install of software as you probably know. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 13 of 19

@IrvSp wrote:

Now the OP didn't say if he had to pay them or not, nor if he had the FREE NG support? Suspect a 3rd party and they probably offered to fix it for a fee (or would have if they continued) and suggested installing the protection and knowing they'd call back and then pay? Stranger things have happened.

Staying off topic, here is what they say over at Arlo.

How can I avoid Arlo support scams?

I wonder if Netgear has done its own take on this?

Just another user.

Message 14 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, Bill, yes, but that would leave you exposed. Suppose 'something bad' happened then?

Again, all speculation, but it is quite possible the agent KNEW that putting on AVG (possibly the FREE version) wouldn't fix it and hoped for a callback?

Message 15 of 19
myersw
Master

From experience I can tell you that all you have to do with Arlo is go to arlo.com/support. Easy then to find contact and low and behold an actual phone number. That is what I needed as the Arlo base I have was a refurbish and the old registration info was not removed. Try and do that on the netgear.com/suport site. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 16 of 19
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@myersw, Bill, yes, but that would leave you exposed. Suppose 'something bad' happened then?

@IrvSp

Not suggesting leaving off, but if support thought was problem could temporally. Another thought I just thought of is this would be a good way to introduce a trojan. Here install the A/V package without telling OP it was modified from what product vendor normally supplies.  

Have we gotten far enough off topic yet? 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 17 of 19

Is that possible?

The person who kicked this off, @GQphotography, has gone AWOL.

I think we need some feedback before go even deeper into conspiracy theories.

Just another user.

Message 18 of 19
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

I think we need some feedback before go even deeper into conspiracy theories.

But they are such fun. Cat Happy

Our government lives on them.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E