Highlighted
Apprentice

Nighthawk iOS app not able to connect to router

Hello,

For some reason my iOS Nighthawk app is not able to connect.  My iPhone is on the same Wifi network, but when I attempt to connect I get an error saying "cannot conect to the wift network xxxxx". I am connected to the 5Ghz-2 network

Any advise?

Thanks

JD

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nighthawk iOS app not able to connect to router

I'm on an R8000 and using Genie on an iPad with iOS 12 and have no problems?

Have you tried the 5-1 SSID?

Genie has been replaced by the NIGHTHAWK app, get that in the store and see if that works.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello,

I have tried all 3 networks and i am still unable connect using my iPhone XsMAX iOS 12.1.1 and the NIGHTHAWK app

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Master

My iPad connects with no problems?

What is it exactly doing? Any error messages? Are you providing the right UserID and P/W?

If you use Safari and enter the router IP Address, usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, do you get prompted for the UID and PW? What happens when you enter them?

Check the Network connection in Settings and is the IP Address actually the same network as the router?

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello,

I finally got it working. The router has been setup using 192.168.0.1 LAN address, to match our network address, and in order for the Nighthawk app to work it needs to use the router as it DNS.  We currently run our own DHCP and DNS server so when you connect via WiFI you are assigned a DNS address of 192.168.0.12 along with your ip address in the scope range we have set up.  The Nighthawk app will try and use the 192.168.0.12 address as the DNS and will fail to connect to the router.

To fix this we added an additional DNS server for the WiFi connection i.e. 192.160.0.1 and now the app connects.

Thanks

JD

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm not tech savvy, but I have the same issue with the nighthawk app not connecting to my X6S EX 8000 mesh router. My other XS4 modem router shows up fine. Could you walk me through the steps of how you fixed it?
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello,

if you look on your iphone under wifi and select your network, tap on the information icon "i" then under DNS select manual and enter your routers ip address, which i think will be 192.168.1.1

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/22/how-to-change-the-dns-server-used-by-your-iphone-and-ipad

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements