Tutor

Nighthawk r6700v2 gets fast download from modem, but slow wifi going out of router

Greetings all,.

I never get a decent speed on wifi. I have Spectrum 400 Mbps coming into house, and ethernet coming off the router is fast, however any speed test using wifi, laptop, phone, tablet, only gets a max of 50 Mbps if I'm lucky. I have the latest firmware, have reset the router multiple times, and still slow wifi....Netgear says this is a fast router, suitable for gaming and streaming movies, but my son has issues playing a game on the laptop, and my house wifi is weak.

What is the deal? Was considering getting a mesh wifi extendeer for better signal on front and back porch, but would be a waste of money if the router is crap.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Nighthawk r6700v2 gets fast download from modem, but slow wifi going out of router

@flkayak wrote:

Netgear says this is a fast router, suitable for gaming and streaming movies, but my son has issues playing a game on the laptop, and my house wifi is weak.

Wifi is complicated. The speeds depend on the clients (receivers) as well as the source (router). Then there is the layout. If the wifi is weak, trying moving the router higher up or somewhere more central.

Big houses need stronger wifi. I mean front and back porch? Sound like a spread.

Also turn off QoS. You don't need it with that internet speed.

Then there is the r6700v2. Not the most powerful device around on the wifi front. Probably one of Netgear's cheapest devices.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
Master

Re: Nighthawk r6700v2 gets fast download from modem, but slow wifi going out of router

House construction can cause an interesting wireless environment. My house is wet plaster over metal lath. So every wall you are going through 2 layers of that. Bit of a challenge to get proper wifi. Square foot wise, 2 floors 900 sq ft each, sounds like one router should work wonderful. Not true in my case. Need two AP's to do the job. House is rectangular, not square, so have an AP towards each end long wise. Give you another example. When the cordless phones first came out I returned a number of them because they did not work in this house. Finally found a Sony that did. 

So wireless speed can come down to what the client device is capable of, how far way is the client from the router, what materials does the wireless signal have to go through, and wireless interference from neighbors. Lastly possible firmware issue with router. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 5
Tutor

So the issue with slow wifi on laptop appears to be the factory wifi built into the laptop, which was built in 2012. All other devices get great wifi speed. For now, I'll hardwire laptop if speed is required for downloads.

Message 4 of 5

A small USB adapter doesn't cost much and can give you more moderm wifi technology.

Much cheaper than a new PC!

If, that is, the PC has a USB slot!

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements