Nighthawk r7000 Slow WiFi Speeds

TheRealSuperMar
Aspirant

Nighthawk r7000 Slow WiFi Speeds

Desperate and hoping someone can help since NetGear support has been a huge waste of time with this ongoing issue of over a year.

My nighthawk r7000 AC1900 is outputting extremely slow WiFi Speeds. When I connect a wired device directly to my modem, I'm receiving speeds of over 300mbps. I am also receiving similar speeds of 300mbps when I connect a wired device to my Nighthawk router. However, my devices are only receiving up to 5-10mbps (sometimes 15mbps) when connected wirelessly.

I've wasted many many hours reading threads on Netgear and scouring the internet with users experiencing this exact issue, and no method has been successful for me:

• Upgraded firmware 
  • downgraded to multiple firmware versions (including V1.0.7.12_1.2.5)
  • reset the router (many times) and applied default settings
  • played around with different wireless settings recommended by users
  • moved the location of the nighthawk so no obstructions were present
  • verified the router is not on the same channel as other wireless devices
  • tested the wireless speeds with multiple devices capable on both 2.4 and 5G
  • Verified I was the only connected device when testing

My last step is to purchase a new wireless router... I'm hoping someone can have any additional suggestions, please help!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Nighthawk r7000 Slow WiFi Speeds

Tried turning off QoS? (If it is on.)

What is the modem?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 10
IrvSp
Master

On the QoS page, even with it disabled, run the Speed test... what does that show?

Try chan ging the SSID name. That will force every device to rebuild the connection.

Message 3 of 10
TheRealSuperMar
Aspirant

thank you for your response -I think you're on to something! My wireless speed test within QOS is 290Mbps, but it seems my devices are still experiencing the speed issues. Similar speeds with two laptops, iPhone, and Galaxy s7. I made sure to have no other devices connected when testing. 

1. Changing SSID

I previously tried renaming the SSID, no luck with speeds after changing it this time either... 

2. Speed Test (prior to enabling & applying QOS)

QOS Router Wired speed test: 290 Mbps

QOS Router Wireless speed test: 273 Mbps (I would assume this means there's hope?)

Can the router just be managing the output of the data horribly? I am using default settings at this point.. 

3. Dynamic QOS Enabled

QOS Router Wireless Speed Test: 265 Mbps

Xfinity Wireless Speed Test (xfinity): 16 Mbps

Ookla Wireless Speed Test: 26 Mbps

AT&T Wireless speed test: 18 Mbps

Message 4 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Is WMM on?

Try as a test not to use ANY Security? Should not change it and if it doesn't reset it to what you had.

Is this ALL SSID's or only one?

Take the CHANNEL off of AUTO if on it and test with different channels, of if running Windows get ACRYLIC and run to see what channels are less crowded and change to the one less crowded and test again.

Message 5 of 10
TheRealSuperMar
Aspirant

Not sure what's going on, but good news..

I just did a speed test (speedtest.net) to get a baseline prior to making any changes. Results:

1st test: 105 Mbps Download speed... 2nd test: 82 Mbps Download speed......3rd test: 64 Mbps Download speed....4th test: 129 Mbps Download speed........5th test:101 Mbps

WMM is off, by the way, I'm assuming you'd like for me to keep it off?

Maybe the previous changes didn't take effect immediately? I applied them and reconnected when I completed them. It looks like either QOS or changing the SSID might have done it. Can I please monitor this for 1 day or 2 before marking this thread as resolved?

I appreciate all of your help and quick responses. I've spent so many hours troubleshooting and trying to figure this out. I was at the point of ordering a new router if this didn't solve it. Thank you, again 🙂 

Message 6 of 10
IrvSp
Master

WMM should be ON as it too will effect speed.

If you are getting that much variation on speed you still have a problem. Were you testing with wireless or via the speed test on the QoS page?

What is your modem? It could be the ISP service fluctuating or wireless interference... did you run Acrylic?

You might be able to get to the modem's status page by using 192.168.100.1 in a browsers URL and the when prompted enter admin admin or admin password... then you could see how the modem is doing? This varies by modem model though, and some you can't.

Message 7 of 10
TheRealSuperMar
Aspirant

I apologize for the double post. and weird picture order!

Message 8 of 10
TheRealSuperMar
Aspirant

Arris2.pngArris3.pngWMM should be ON as it too will affect speed.

I'll turn it on now and see it how it goes.

If you are getting that much variation on the speed you still have a problem. Were you testing with wireless or via the speed test on the QoS page?

When I test via the QoS page, I'm getting the high speeds. When I test on sites on the internet, I'm receiving inconsistent and typically extremely slow speeds. 

What is your modem? It could be the ISP service fluctuating or wireless interference... did you run Acrylic?

Arris Surfboard SB6190. Yeah, I confirmed I was the only one on the channel and even tried changing channels, and no improvement in speed.

You might be able to get to the modem's status page by using 192.168.100.1 in a browsers URL and the when prompted enter admin admin or admin password... then you could see how the modem is doing? This varies by modem model though, and some you can't.

I'm able to get in, thanks.  I'm a noob, so I attached some screenshot of what I see when accessing it. I tried to not give any personal info.. 

Arris1.png

Message 9 of 10
IrvSp
Master

The Surfboard modem has a max. speed of 340Mbps... so you should be getting it.

Did WMM on help?

Modems usually have LOGGING under an EVENT LOG or something like that. That is the status I was looking for. Usually in 2 parts, the DOCSIS events and the PACKETCABLE events. The former will show and unusual events, basically warnings and errors. The latter timestamps of modem to ISP transactions and what they were... either of those that show errors or loss of signal is what would be of interest. TIMEOUTS as well.

What wireless device are you testing with and how far from the router? Make and model please.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E