Nighthawk r7000 connectivity problems.

ijisquiji
Aspirant

Nighthawk r7000 connectivity problems.

I just bought an r7000 would like some insight into the issues that I'm facing.

⦁ r7000 periodically refueses wifi to my PC. My phone is on the 5g connection, and the lights for internet and 5g are both solid white!

⦁ Ethernet won't connect. Each time I connect the computer via ethernet to the router it fails to connect, and turns off my wifi. My phone on the 5g connection, retains connection. I assume this based on the fact that streatming music on my phone remains unteruppted, while my pc is unable to connect to anything.

⦁ I cannot connect to the router due to the WiFi problem. Even when the ethernet is connected I am unable to reach the router.

⦁ Poor video streaming quality. I can't get through 15 minutes of a video without facing buffering issues. I'm on a 40 mbps line and have never faced this poor of quality even when sharing the same Wifi with several other computers and phones.

⦁ Restarting my PC doesn't fix the problem. Reconnecting the PC to the nighthawk seems to be random.

For some insight, I'm using a Lenovo y410p with a fresh SSD and OS install from Windows 7 -> 10. My Samsung S7 is completely unphased by router and maintains a constant connection on the 5g band. If this is fixed by simply updating a driver, I would be releived.
Any advice aimed towards my ISP, router or PC would be greatly appriciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk r7000 connectivity problems.

@ijisquiji wrote:

I just bought an r7000 would like some insight into the issues that I'm facing.

⦁ r7000 periodically refueses wifi to my PC. My phone is on the 5g connection, and the lights for internet and 5g are both solid white!

Are you connecting via the 5Ghz SSID or the 2.5Ghz SSID?

⦁ Ethernet won't connect. Each time I connect the computer via ethernet to the router it fails to connect, and turns off my wifi. My phone on the 5g connection, retains connection. I assume this based on the fact that streatming music on my phone remains unteruppted, while my pc is unable to connect to anything.

How are you trying to do this? The 1GB should not turn off the WiFI, both can be used/on? Describe 'Fail to connect'? What errors are you seeing. Do you have the latest drivers for the 1GB network built-in adapter?

⦁ I cannot connect to the router due to the WiFi problem. Even when the ethernet is connected I am unable to reach the router.

How are you trying to access it? I assume you could at one time since you can connect to it?

⦁ Poor video streaming quality. I can't get through 15 minutes of a video without facing buffering issues. I'm on a 40 mbps line and have never faced this poor of quality even when sharing the same Wifi with several other computers and phones.

⦁ Restarting my PC doesn't fix the problem. Reconnecting the PC to the nighthawk seems to be random.

Are you N Speed connected via wireless or G? I guess since you can't connect to the router you can't tell is QoS is on or off? Have you run a SPEED TEST via the web? What speed do you get?

For some insight, I'm using a Lenovo y410p with a fresh SSD and OS install from Windows 7 -> 10. My Samsung S7 is completely unphased by router and maintains a constant connection on the 5g band. If this is fixed by simply updating a driver, I would be releived.
Any advice aimed towards my ISP, router or PC would be greatly appriciated.

Message 2 of 7
ijisquiji
Aspirant

• Are you connecting via the 5Ghz SSID or the 2.5Ghz SSID?

I am connecting my phone to the 5ghz band, and my PC to the 2.5ghz band. 

• How are you trying to do this? The 1GB should not turn off the WiFI, both can be used/on? Describe 'Fail to connect'? What errors are you seeing. Do you have the latest drivers for the 1GB network built-in adapter?

I am connecting my PC to the router via ethernet. With past routers this has given me direct access to the router (routerlogin.net in this case). The only errors that I am seeing are "Failed to connect, your computer needs to use WiFi" when attempting to access routerlogin.net. My drivers may be the issue. I did a system update shortly before losing Wifi, and restarting the computer now seems to allow me to connect to the WiFi, and internet. 

• How are you trying to access it? I assume you could at one time since you can connect to it?

I am attempting to access the router via ethernet and routerlogin.net. I could access the router this way at one time, but connecting ethernet seems to stop my WiFi connection, and the previously stated issue with the WiFi seems to be stopping me. 

• Are you N Speed connected via wireless or G? I guess since you can't connect to the router you can't tell is QoS is on or off? Have you run a SPEED TEST via the web? What speed do you get?

TBH I'm not sure if im N speed. You are correct, my inability to connect to the router via routerlogin.net bars me from determining if QoS is on or off. In a speed test I clocked in at 36ms Ping, 3.79mbps Download, and .52mbps Upload. 

Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

I'm sort of confused here?

You posted this first:

========

I'm on a 40 mbps line and have never faced this poor of quality even when sharing the same Wifi with several other computers and phones.

========

Last reply had this:

========

In a speed test I clocked in at 36ms Ping, 3.79mbps Download, and .52mbps Upload. 

========

Which is correct? 4Mbps down is very slow and could account for all slowdown the problems?

Not the PC dropping WiFi when you plug in the Ethernet cable though. That should not happen? I can have both my Ethernet 1Gbps and N Speed WiFi on at the same time.

Use the Windows key (hold it down) and press R at the same time and enter CMD. At the CMD prompt enter IPCONFIG /ALL. I've enabled the WiFi as well and it should look like this:

======

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B1-56-DD-6A
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58bf:9e27:bf45: (Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 19, 2016 7:08:00 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:08:00 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 49852758
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-04-98-17-F8-B1-56
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-D2-1E-5B-78-5D
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d917:f052:79d9: 2(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred)
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 19, 2016 7:28:21 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:28:20 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 178049566
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-04-98-17-F8-B1-56-D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

============

Compare the output above to what you get. Default Gateway and DHCP Server should match the Router IP Address. The IPv4 address should start with the same first 3 octets of the Router IP Address.

One other thing, you running Kaspersky? If so disable and try accessing the router again. That program has caused this problem. One needs to re-install that and then the problem goes away.

Post back what you see for the above data if really different.

I tried Googling "Failed to connect, your computer needs to use WiFi" and got NO hits but the response you posted? I've NEVER seen that error message either? I suspect it is another program that is trying to use a WiFi connection that is putting that up? Exactly what are you doing with what program when you get that error message?

Have you tried to connect to the router from the phone using a browser on it?

Message 4 of 7
ijisquiji
Aspirant

Both are correct. I'm paying for a 40mbps connection, but only clocking in at the speeds listed in my last reply. I have used a browser on my phone, and have no issues. I'm not using Kaspersky, but I am using Maleware Bytes and Avast Security. 

Here is the data that I received when entering IPCONFIG /ALL, on WiFi only, before plugging in the ethernet;

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

Windows IP Configuration

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 28-D2-44-34-15-BF

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C2-C6-0E-05-02

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C2-C6-0E-05-01
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f818:b8a0:2654:fd73%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 18, 2016 2:33:58 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:51:13 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 67158726
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-A0-1D-E8-28-D2-44-34-15-BF
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{269B0736-154E-4799-ABFD-D66CCAE75B2B}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

I'm noticing IP Routing and WINS Proxy are disabled, and that I dont not have a Connection-specific DNS Suffix or a Primary DNS suffix. Pardon my ignorance, but do any of these have an effect on my situation?

Message 5 of 7
ijisquiji
Aspirant

RouterLoginError.png

This is the page that I see when attempting to go to routerlogin.net. 

Message 6 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Ahh, it looks like you have a few problems here.

First and foremost, the speed. Way off... so try to verify you are getting what you pay for.

Power down EVERYTHING, including the modem. With everything off, connect the PC directly to the ISP's modem. Turn on the modem and let it come completely up, wait a minute or two. Then power up the PC. It should connect and then run a speed test. Hopefully that will match the 40Mbps. If not, contact your ISP.

Next the inability to see the router in a browser. First of all it does appear from the picture to be reaching the router. However I do not think your PC and Router are on the same network/domain? That is set in the router as well as on your PC.

You will need to power everything off again and connect the modem to the router and the router to the PC. Now bring up the Modem first followed by the Router and lastly the PC waiting for each to come up completely. Now enter 192.168.0.1 into a Browser on the PC.

Get the same warning in the browser, then enter these two commands in a command prompt:

NTBSTAT -n  <--- use a lower case n only here

NTBSTAT -S 192.168.0.1

Post back the results.

Still not working, check HERE.

Also you can try GOOGLING "netgear router login page cannot be displayed" and you'll find a lot of links and some marked solved. I didn't see a 'smoking gun' in any though.

Not being on the same network fixing could be problematic if you can't see what the router is set to though, and for that you'll need to reach the router to see it? Normally that would NOT be set in the router as well?

Last thing to try, RESET the router. Using the hidden button in the back. Depress it for 30 seconds WITH the power on. Then see if you can connect.

Also look here, just more details on how to do it.

http://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Netgear-Router

This could reset the IP Address of the router to 192.168.1.1 so you may need to use that to get to the router.

However, first solve the low Internet Speed (no, it doesn't cause the router connection problem).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E