Re: Nighthawk r7000 keeps getting disconnected

trnd7
Aspirant

Nighthawk r7000 keeps getting disconnected

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to a new house and reused a setup that worked fine: with Comcast, Netgear CMD31T as a modem and Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as a router. My router is on the latest firmware version but is getting random disconnects that I've been unable to troubleshoot. I've tried checking cables, moving my setup to a different location, reset and factory reset, nothing worked. I've included 2 logs below but I'm not sure that I understand them properly. It seems that an "Internet disconnect" happens BEFORe the "Internet connected" which seems very strange. Anybody has any idea what's going on? Thank you for your help!

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.3, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:41:34
[DoS attack: ACK Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [104.112.169.203], Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:39:41
[DoS attack: ACK Scan] (1) attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [23.45.228.128], Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:38:11
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:36:11
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.6)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:36:07
[Internet connected] IP address: -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:51
[Internet disconnected] Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:50
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.4)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:45
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.5)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:38
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:38
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:37
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.9.64] Saturday, Jun 01,2019 08:35:37

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.6)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:13:15
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.3, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:13:07
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.5)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:54
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:29
[Internet connected] IP address: -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:14
[Internet disconnected] Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:13
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.4)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:11
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:06
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address -------, Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:06
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.9.64] Saturday, Jun 01,2019 10:11:03

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 29
IrvSp
Master

OK, 2 things here....

One, you do have V1.0.9.64. If you search this forum using that firmware number, many many people have problems with that version. You said it worked fine before, great, you are one of the few that make that claim. Most have found V1.0.9.42 to be the f/w version that solves the problems they have.

Two, that said, it is possible it doesn't work well with your ISP, but I seriously doubt that? Why? It appears I have the SAME problem. One an R8000 no less, and it is TOTALLY RANDOM. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not?

From my May 30th log (did not happen on yesterdays log):

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.8)] to MAC address 48:60:5F:85:81:BE, Thursday, May 30,2019 21:20:43
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, May 30,2019 20:43:23
[Internet connected] IP address: 97.xxx.xxx.xxx, Thursday, May 30,2019 20:43:22
[Internet disconnected] Thursday, May 30,2019 20:43:21
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6Smiley Very Happy3:44, Thursday, May 30,2019 20:15:56
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.5)] to MAC address A0:C9:A0:6A:76:07, Thursday, May 30,2019 19:04:29
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, May 30,2019 18:27:21
[Internet connected] IP address: 97.xxxx.xxx.xxx, Thursday, May 30,2019 18:27:20
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6Smiley Very Happy3:44, Thursday, May 30,2019 18:09:34

On top of this, my PRIOR modem (unit was replaced with same model by Spectrum) I NEVER had this happen!!! I complained to Spectrum, waste of time, they claim my modem has no problems. There was work done on my line along with the modem replacement, I supposedly had a bad ground block as well. All I can say, after these were done, these log entries started to appear. 

Also, I have NEVER seen anything on any PC to indicate a drop of the Internet?

I of course are running different f/w than you are, but I do suspect the log routine is the same. However, it could be your line coming in and it could be 'marginal' or the logging function is not robust enough to handle something. Draw your own conclusions. Me, I suspect the modem or line.

Message 2 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

My current network worked perfectly fine for more than 2 years, also with Comcast and in two different places.

I've tried as many things as I could think of: disabling/re-enabling the Ethernet adapter in Windows 10; use Netgear genie to fix the issue; reboot the router. Throughout these attempts I had the feeling that something on my desktop computer was causing the issue. I'm now trying to see if not using my desktop will prevent the issue from happening (I still have WiFi and my Xbox connected wirelessly).

If anyone has any idea how to troubleshoot that kind of issue, I'd appreciate the help!
Message 3 of 29
IrvSp
Master

I guess you do NOT believe me? If you look at my log entries you should be able to determine it has NOTHING to do with a device, but the TIME SYNC! In your case this is happening within 10 to 13 seconds of turning ON the router. It has nothing to do with the devices connecting. If anything, it is the V1.0.9.64 firmware of the R7000. BUGGY as can be. Don't believe me, SEARCH for it in the search box top right. Suggest going back to version V1.0.9.42, it could fix your problem, which might not even be a problem because:

• It happens randomly to me, possible logging bug and I'm on a different model router.
  • I can't see any interruption of Internet, and I doubt you can within 14 seconds of the router turning on.

Feel free to ignore my responses which you seem to want to do. Good luck.

Message 4 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

Hey there,
It's not that I don't believe you, I didn't understand your suggestion! I'm going to try revert back to the version you mentioned and see if it helps.
Thanks
Message 5 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

It's been a few hours since I reverted the firmware to version 1.0.9.42 and so far it's looking good. I'm hoping that it's going to stick but for the moment thank you @IrvSp for suggesting this!

Message 6 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

Well the disconnects are back after a solid 8 hours of Internet. I guess I'll have to buy a new modem unless someone has a better idea?

Message 7 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@trnd7 wrote:

Well the disconnects are back after a solid 8 hours of Internet. I guess I'll have to buy a new modem unless someone has a better idea?

Besides the log entry, do you actually experience the Internet disconnect on any device? I do NOT on any device.

Also, how did you get the CMD31T? Comcast give it to you or did you just buy it? I ask for 2 reasons. As I said, I have a similar problem with Spectrum on an R8000. My problem started when Spectrum worked on my line and also changed the modem, a Technicolor E31t2v1, and these disconnected before the time sync stated at that time. You said it started when you moved, a cable line change. Also I notice that that modem IS NOT on the Comcast approved modem list? See https://approvedmodemlist.com/comcast-xfinity-approved-modems/?

I'd be checking with Comcast myself, but if you really don't think it could be the modem, do what you think you need to do. Possible a change of routers will fix it, but maybe it will not?

Like I said, I don't see the disconnects that are logged. If you do not either, just forget about it and go on.

Message 8 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@trnd7 wrote:

I guess I'll have to buy a new modem unless someone has a better idea?

Wait, are you complaining about the modem or router? Subject and comments are about the router, not modem?

Modems are covered in another section of this site. If so, go to COMMUNITY at top, HOME selection, and then the MODEM choice and then the correct forum for your modem. Post there, some users with the knowledge of the CMD31T might be able to assist.

Message 9 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

Yeah I meant router, not modem! It's one I bought and it worked fine for 2 years with Comcast. That being said I want to call their Support and see if they can see any weirdness, before I venture into buying a new router.

By the way, the disconnect happens with the router "Rebooting" (I see the lights flashing to indicate it). All connected devices are affected, wired and wireless. After a disconnect, it usually takes 5 minutes for things to get back online, while the router reboots several times, and I try to fix it via Netgear Genie and disabling/re-enabling the Ethernet adaptor in Windows 10.

Message 10 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

By the way, I can almost consistently reproduce a network disconnect: it almost always happens when I boot my desktop PC while the router is on. And then disabling the Ethernet adapter in Windows 10 while the router is rebooting will allow it to reconnect, then re-enabling the Ethernet adapter seems to always work.

Message 11 of 29
myersw
Master

@trnd7 wrote:

By the way, I can almost consistently reproduce a network disconnect: it almost always happens when I boot my desktop PC while the router is on. And then disabling the Ethernet adapter in Windows 10 while the router is rebooting will allow it to reconnect, then re-enabling the Ethernet adapter seems to always work.

What I read here is that the PC has connection issues. Your discription, to me, sounds like a PC issue and not router. Have you checked to see if there is a newer network driver for the PC?.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@trnd7 wrote:

Yeah I meant router, not modem! It's one I bought and it worked fine for 2 years with Comcast. That being said I want to call their Support and see if they can see any weirdness, before I venture into buying a new router.

By the way, the disconnect happens with the router "Rebooting" (I see the lights flashing to indicate it). All connected devices are affected, wired and wireless. After a disconnect, it usually takes 5 minutes for things to get back online, while the router reboots several times, and I try to fix it via Netgear Genie and disabling/re-enabling the Ethernet adaptor in Windows 10.

I got e-mail for this post but you must have edited it? About a specific IP Address (seems like 192.168.1.4 from the logs) and its MAC Address. I assume you figured out 'who' that is? If not there are sites where you can enter the MAC Address (only first 3 sets of characters needed I think) and it will detail the manufacturer helping you determine who it is.

W10, yeah, could be a driver, actually a driver interface file within W10, problem.

Now the router REBOOT, that is more problematic to me. Something has to be causing this, and sometimes that is the power supply. To troubleshoot this further I'd suggest:

• Leave the device at 192.168.1.4 OFF and see if it still happens.
  • Turn off ALL devices but the one at 192.168.1.4 and see what happens.
  • If it is power supply related, if on any type of power strip or extension cord, go direct to the wall socket. Check to see if that helps.
  • If possible and still having a problem, see if you can move the router to another power outlet in the house.
  • On the PC if the device is a USB Network or PCI card, try using a different port of slot and see if that helps.

Did Comcast know you had the router that is not on their approved list (assuming you checked with them)?

Message 13 of 29
IrvSp
Master

I too at this point really think it could be a W10 problem? Should NOT cause a reboot of the router though which is puzzling to me?

One thing to check as you feel it is a specific PC related running W10 is to check the EVENT VIEWER (Windows Key+R and enter eventvwr.msc) and stay on the default, Event Viewer (Local) selection. On the right will be the events. Look at the LAST HOUR, and just look at the Critical and Error, should be 0, but you can have some warnings, especially when opened up (click on the+) for User Profile Services it seems (possible MS bug). See anything? They might be related to the problem.

Message 14 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

What I read here is that the PC has connection issues. Your discription, to me, sounds like a PC issue and not router. Have you checked to see if there is a newer network driver for the PC?.

There was an update but I did it a few days ago. I'm not sure it's the driver though, although today I've had both a disconnect when starting my PC and then no disconnect after I started it twice later during the day, so it's inconsistent. I'd love to be able to pinpoint the precise cause/process/program so that I can fix it (obviously)!

Message 15 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

I got e-mail for this post but you must have edited it? About a specific IP Address (seems like 192.168.1.4 from the logs) and its MAC Address. I assume you figured out 'who' that is? If not there are sites where you can enter the MAC Address (only first 3 sets of characters needed I think) and it will detail the manufacturer helping you determine who it is.

W10, yeah, could be a driver, actually a driver interface file within W10, problem.

Now the router REBOOT, that is more problematic to me. Something has to be causing this, and sometimes that is the power supply. To troubleshoot this further I'd suggest:

• Leave the device at 192.168.1.4 OFF and see if it still happens.
  • Turn off ALL devices but the one at 192.168.1.4 and see what happens.
  • If it is power supply related, if on any type of power strip or extension cord, go direct to the wall socket. Check to see if that helps.
  • If possible and still having a problem, see if you can move the router to another power outlet in the house.
  • On the PC if the device is a USB Network or PCI card, try using a different port of slot and see if that helps.

Did Comcast know you had the router that is not on their approved list (assuming you checked with them)?

Yes I edited my post. The MAC address was my Xbox's so it was a false alarm.

I had a driver update a few days ago, not sure if it made things better (today one disconnect due to the PC booting, then two more boots that didn't disconnect). I wonder if I should uninstall then reinstall the Ethernet driver?

I plugged the router's power supply to go directly to the wall socket after I remember an advice from a Comcast tech person, but I'm not sure it solved the issue.

I don't think Comcast knows that my modem is not on their approved list (I checked with a link different from the one you provided), do you think it could cause the issue? I haven't called Comcast yet but I may do it tomorrow.

Message 16 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

I too at this point really think it could be a W10 problem? Should NOT cause a reboot of the router though which is puzzling to me?

One thing to check as you feel it is a specific PC related running W10 is to check the EVENT VIEWER (Windows Key+R and enter eventvwr.msc) and stay on the default, Event Viewer (Local) selection. On the right will be the events. Look at the LAST HOUR, and just look at the Critical and Error, should be 0, but you can have some warnings, especially when opened up (click on the+) for User Profile Services it seems (possible MS bug). See anything? They might be related to the problem.

First I'd like to thank you for continuing to try to help me Smiley Happy

The Event Viewer is really interesting. I'm starting to dig into the errors and the first thing I noticed are errors from the "Tcpip" service indicating an IP conflict with another device (it changed between devices the few times I saw the error) getting my desktop's IP. But when I look at my router logs, the event times do not correspond to a disconnect. When I do look at the disconnect times, I see an error event from the Dhcp-Client source with the following message: "The IP address lease 192.168.1.5 for the Network Card with network address [my desktop PC's MAC adddress] has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)." I see this error event for 2 other disconnects, but for the last one I see an additional 2 error events that seem to be related to a Genie service ("Faulting application name: GenieTimelineService.exe" and "The Genie Timeline Service service terminated unexpectedly")

Message 17 of 29
IrvSp
Master

A couple of things.

So the ISP may not know you have your own Modem on their network? That alone could present to problem to you and them. First, on all modems, and it doesn't matter who owns it, they, the ISP should be controlling it. Especially the firmware. I'm pretty sure (but not positive) this is so they have tested any new firmware and know it will not harm them.

Calling and ISP can be a mixed bag depending on who you get on the phone. You had to call them to get the MAC Address of the modem enabled. Some might 'just do it', other press for make and model and will NOT approve a modem not on the list. I've heard that done both ways, especially when it comes to Voice modems. I have Spectrum and NO Voice modems are approved, and even DOCSIS 3.1's are very limited. Some have had no problems getting either of those approved, others can not.

Event Viewer errors. Very interesting, especially when I Googled parts of the errors. Many hits on the whole message (have to leave off the specific IP Addresses) or parts of it. Some point to a virus, some to a VPN, and others to the PC Blue Screening? Main thing is that the errors are common, but many go back over 4 years? I can't see a smoking gun though?

The part "The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message" I figured would give the most information didn't really. Basically that means (with the other part of the error) that for some reason the Router could NOT give your PC what it wanted for an IP Address. This I do not understand. What should happen is you get that IP Address which basically another device had and that device drops off the LAN. That device will then try to reconnect if set to do that, otherwise the user of that device needs to do it manually.

Here is the rub. You have two types of IP Addresses, Dynamic and STATIC/RESERVED. Unless you have a reason for any device to be at a specific IP Address, DHCP (Dynamic) should be used for all. That is the device connects and says can I have an IP Address please. The router then hands out the NEXT sequential one it has available. A little different for the other case. A STATIC one is set IN the device, in its PROPERTIES and it asks for THAT IP Address. The router will give it the device. If another device were to have it, it would be dropped and the asking device connected. In the RESERVED method, a table of MAC Addresses is set by the router administrator to assign that MAC Address to a SPECIFIC IP Address. When the device connects, the table is looked at and if the MAC address is in the table that IP Address is given to the device. Now for this to work, the RESERVED/STATIC IP addresses can NOT be part of the DHCP range, in the router there is a setting to have DHCP exclude those IP Addresses.

What doesn't make sense to me though is how is this breaking the Internet connection and even rebooting the router?

I also find THIS interesting, "GenieTimelineService.exe" failing? It is part of READYSHARE VAULT? Are you running that? This link, https://www.file.net/process/genietimelineservice.exe.html. even seems to suggest some virus may use that name (I doubt it)? To be on the safe side I might uninstall READYSHARE VAULT and get a new copy, install it, and set it up.

Still, this all points back to your PC? Might be worth Googling those error messages and going through the links, something might hit home with you?

Message 18 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

So... it's been a few days and there's been barely no disconnects, while my desktop PC was booted multiple times. I'm not sure what this means yet but it's very weird, because I didn't do much to fix the issue. I'm going to continue keeping an eye on the situation and hope for the best (probably not a great strategy).

Edit: in the Event Viewer, I do not see the tcpip IP conflict errors any more. Still see some dhcp and Genie ones, so I'm wondering if it was the culprit (and if it is, I'll try assigning static IP addresses next time),

Message 19 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

And right after I posted my previous message, the disconnects came back :/

Message 20 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

I hope this will be my last update: after talking to a Comcast engineer (who said that it's possible that the modem may not support the bandwidth and could be overloaded at times), I replaced my unapproved Netgear CMD31T modem with a Netgear AC600 that is supported. Things seem to work a bit better at the moment but I'll probably wait till the end of the weekend to confirm.

Message 21 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

For what it's worth at this point, I can report that I've encountered a few situations when turning off my Xbox will make the router reboot (the Xbox is wired with a very long cable). So it may be indicative of a problem with the router? A friend is going to lend me a router to test this and hopefully I'll know more soon.
Message 22 of 29
myersw
Master

@trnd7 wrote:
For what it's worth at this point, I can report that I've encountered a few situations when turning off my Xbox will make the router reboot (the Xbox is wired with a very long cable). So it may be indicative of a problem with the router? A friend is going to lend me a router to test this and hopefully I'll know more soon.

One other suggestion since we are talking Xbox is to put an Ethernet switch between the router and Xbox. For some reason Netgear routers do not like Xboxes directly connected via Ethernet. Can get an inexpensive switch to do the job cheaper then another router. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 23 of 29
trnd7
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

@trnd7 wrote:

One other suggestion since we are talking Xbox is to put an Ethernet switch between the router and Xbox. For some reason Netgear routers do not like Xboxes directly connected via Ethernet. Can get an inexpensive switch to do the job cheaper then another router. 

It's never been an issue during the past few years between this router and Xbox, so I'm not sure if it'd work?

Since people have been kind to reply and suggest things to try, I can share that a friend lent me a different router and the network has been working like a charm for a few days. I want to try the Netgear router again to be sure that it wasn't a fluke, but I'll probably be looking for a new router if it's confirmed.

Message 24 of 29
JohnNadeau
Apprentice

Out of curiosity, do you have the Guest Network Enabled?

Disabling it worked for me: 

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E