Re: Nighthawk r7000 ping spikes

Kote87
Follower

Nighthawk r7000 ping spikes

I am having a weird issue with my nighthawk r7000 with ping spikes when gaming on my desktop pc. Mostly on one game World of Tanks, when playing I will be sitting at 30-40ms in game but I will suddenly jump to 180-250ms at times.

For troubleshooting I have tried the following to narrow it down to what I believe to be a router issue.

First I downloaded a ping tracer and started it hitting www.google.com and www.yahoo.com, doing so I was showing large packet loss on the first hop between my pc and the router. 

Next I unhooked my LAN cable from my pc and plugged it into my laptop, running the same tracer for the same websites I am showing no packet loss, eliminating the potential issue of a failed cable. I ran world of tanks on my laptop while have a cable connection and had no ping spikes.

Next I plugged the same cable back into my desktop pc but changed the port on my router, still no change with packet loss. I try the laptop again and suffer no packet loss.

I thought my network card had failed but just to verify I took the same LAN cable and unhooked it from my router and hooked it directly to my modem. Suddenly no packet loss, World of Tanks suffers no high ping issues. After 2 hours of gaming with no ping spikes I switch back to the router and suffer immediate ping issues. Just to rule it out I switch to a new LAN cable and still have the same issue. Next I do a factory reset on the router and allow it to update to the latest firmware, not making any modifications to the default settings, issue is still present. Next I completely wipe my desktop pc and do a fresh install of Windows 10 after the install I allow windows to update all of the drivers and then try again. Tracer shows packet loss and in game ping issue is still present.

Within the router settings I have tried turning QoS on and off and no difference.

My PC I have allowed Windows to install the drivers for my network card and when issue was still present installed the drivers from the manufacture.

MY PC:

My motherboard is a ASUS Maximus Formula VII and I am using the built in card that is a Intel® I218V, 1 x Gigabit LAN.

I am pretty positive I have ruled out any chance that this is a cable fail, a network card fail or an ISP issue and believe the issue lies with my router.

Just to add a little twist to this, when the ping tracer is showing large packet loss for both google and yahoo I wanted to see if it affected my download speed. I ran the blizzard installer and had it start a large download for a game. While I was showing 30-55% packet loss to my first hop of 192.168.1.1 I was able to download the blizzard game at 13mb/s.

Anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing the router to have issues with this one pc but I am able to plug my laptop and have no issues at all?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
MR12
Tutor

I have no idea what's causing your problem, but I too can confirm that my Nighthawk R7000 is having horrible WiFI connectivity issues since the lastest firmware update. I go through spurts of perfect connection, with intermittent complete loss of WiFi, which causes me to go through the whole power cycle process to get the good ol R7000 back at it for the next few hours. I did do a hard reset on my Nighthawk and it fixed the problem temporarily, but it comes and goes. Not certain what the cause is, if you figure it out, please let us know! Good luck. 

Message 2 of 13
theroys88
Apprentice

Downgrade your firmware to this one V1.0.4.28_1.1.64. I also updated the firmware and had so many issues including wifi drop outs. I had tried a Verizon gateway but the range and speeds were not close to the R7000. Once I downgraded to this older firmware and then reset the router, Performance has been stellar. I also upgraded the antennas to three 12dbi dual tuned antennas which has increased my range and speeds past the original range and speeds that I had before the update, The problem is that these Netgear engineers are screwing up this device by updating the firmware. They still will not acknowledge the issue and instead of  of properly testing the firmware, they released it anyway. Now they are pushing  a new firmware that opens your router up to them to collect analytics. Again a lazy approach to this situation.

Message 3 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Who is your ISP?

What's the brand and model of your modem?

What's the operating system of the computers (desktop and laptop)?

Is this a wired or wireless connection issue?

Can you set the desktop in DMZ and see if it will work?

By the way, which firmware is installed on your router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 13
MR12
Tutor

I was having issues with the WiFi and the 5GHZ just disappeared. I gave this router it's 2 and half years and it served me well. I believe it was on it's end , so I ended up purchasing a new router and all is well again. Thanks for the support anyways. Kudos.
Message 5 of 13
theroys88
Apprentice

Since downgrading firmware the wifi dropouts have dissapeared and streaming is reliable but my sons still say they are having issues with gaming. Basically their characters freeze for a second or two then resume but it cost them with their competitve gaming. My son says it is spikes and latency issues. Definately the router because when we tried the Verizon Gateway router, those issues also dissapeared. Anyone know about this and a possible fix? 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@theroys88 What firmware are you currently on?

Is the connection wired or wireless from the router?

Do you have QoS enabled? If yes, did you try turning it off?

How long have you had the router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 13
theroys88
Apprentice

Rolled back to this firmware:vV1.0.4.28_1.1.64. That was one that seemed to have the least complaints. Immediately fixed the wifi dropouts.  Connections are wireless and if not I would not bother with an upgraded router.  Qos is not checked and that being downstream and upstream. When switching out with a Verizon Gateway all dropouts and latency issues and spikes experienced by my two sons dissapeared. Of course range and speed test dropped in half.  There is somthing up with this router and I am not sure. The latest firmware's release notes do not mention any fixes but just analytics.  I have combed this forum and these two issues seem to plague this router and need to fixed by your engineers especially since you still sell this model. I am looking at some other brands to eventually replace this one unless a permanent fix can be figured out by your engineers. I should not have to roll back to a old firmware to fix one of the two issues that this router is experiencing. Ran a network analyzer and picked the appropriate channels to avoid any interference from any other networks in my area.

Message 8 of 13
theroys88
Apprentice

As usual crickets from Netgear.  They ask alot of questions but after giving them the information, they offer no explaination or constructive help.  Performance with this router has been an issue on numerous threads with no real accountability or committments to fix these issues. To really fix these issues would take a enginners to actually do real world testing over a period of time which most corporations just do not want to do. This takes time and money.  Usually with a product this far out from release, support is non existant and companies have long moved on to the new line of products. Because this company still sells this model, it is sad that they do not care about fixing known issues!

Message 9 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@theroys88 Kindly register your router to create a case.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 13
theroys88
Apprentice

Unit was registered when I purchased in 2014.  Support ran out after the first year so that is why most of us come on this forum to find answers to issues that your company does not provide. Why don't you take this issue seriously and have your engineers fix this router.  When a Verizon Gateway router works better then a router designed especially for those applications, something is wrong!

Message 11 of 13
theroys88
Apprentice

I hear nothing but crickets.  

Message 12 of 13
MR12
Tutor

Guys want to know how I fixed this problem?? After going through every avenue to discover what the cause could be.. isp service techs, router settings , firmwares, hard resets, new modem purchase and the whole nine yards. Sadly none of which fixed the problem. I simply purchased a new router, not a new R7000. No I decided to go off brand and got me a new Linksys. Currently have had 0 internet issues since this. I will repeat. I have had NO INTERNET ISSUES since I purchased a new different brand router. I hope this can help guide the rest of you in the right direction as this problem is rampant amongst Netgear R7000 users. Myself included. Good luck.

How about them crickets?! Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements