Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk r7000 slow wifi and even slower ethernet

HikingPlane0
Aspirant

Nighthawk r7000 slow wifi and even slower ethernet

Hello, I recently bought gigabit ethernet for comcast xfinity, and my motorola mb8600 pulls a steady 500 mbps download when running a speed test directly connected to it, but its a single port modem. When I run the speed test on the same pc hardwired to the r7000 router, I get about 130 mbps download and when I connect on my phone via wifi right in front of the modem I get about 300 mbps download. I have rolled back my firmware to v1.09.42 and I cannot roll back any farther (I assume it is because I bought it in 2019, so it is a newer serial number version or something). I have also tried factory resetting the modem. Any ideas? I would really like to get my ethernet speed up first and then I can worry about the overall speed from xfinity being half what is promised.

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@HikingPlane0 wrote:

I just ran some speed test to get some exact results so here it is:

PC ethernet to modem:

Fast.com- 430

Speedtest.com- 189

xfinity.com- 507

Speedtest app- 130

PC ethernet to router:

Fast.com-220
Speedtest.com-185
xfinity.com-530
Speedtest app-140 

iPhone wifi-

speedtest app- 330
Nighthawk app- 376
fast.com-360

A lot of speed testing depends on what site you're testing with. When you get >250mbps speeds, a lot of the servers need to be able to handle it. You've put that you're hitting 500mbps directly connected to the modem. You're hitting full speed on xfinity which is a good sign as it tends to be able to saturate the full speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
HikingPlane0
Aspirant

PC ethernet to modem:

Fast.com- 430

Speedtest.com- 189

xfinity.com- 507

Speedtest app- 130

PC ethernet to router:

Fast.com-220
Speedtest.com-185
xfinity.com-530
Speedtest app-140 

iPhone wifi-

speedtest app- 330
Nighthawk app- 376
fast.com-360

Message 2 of 7
Portwey84
Virtuoso

You say you rolled back to v1.09.42. Which version of firmware was on the router when you bought it? Mine was on v.64. My router was manufactured in 2019. I've never attempted a roll back and even if I did, it would only be back to the factory installed version.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@HikingPlane0 wrote:

PC ethernet to modem:

Fast.com- 430

Speedtest.com- 189

xfinity.com- 507

Speedtest app- 130

PC ethernet to router:

Fast.com-220
Speedtest.com-185
xfinity.com-530
Speedtest app-140 

iPhone wifi-

speedtest app- 330
Nighthawk app- 376
fast.com-360

A lot of speed testing depends on what site you're testing with. When you get >250mbps speeds, a lot of the servers need to be able to handle it. You've put that you're hitting 500mbps directly connected to the modem. You're hitting full speed on xfinity which is a good sign as it tends to be able to saturate the full speeds. 

Message 4 of 7
HikingPlane0
Aspirant

I believe I started on 1.09.88

Message 5 of 7
HikingPlane0
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

@HikingPlane0 wrote:

PC ethernet to modem:

Fast.com- 430

Speedtest.com- 189

xfinity.com- 507

Speedtest app- 130

PC ethernet to router:

Fast.com-220
Speedtest.com-185
xfinity.com-530
Speedtest app-140 

iPhone wifi-

speedtest app- 330
Nighthawk app- 376
fast.com-360

So what should I do?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

So what should I do?

You're hitting full speed on some of your test sites? Specifically the ones that are ran by the isp and most likely to be able to supply the speeds? If so, then I'm not sure what else you're wanting as its hitting those speeds.
if you're worried you can try upgrading to the newest 1.0.11.100 firmware, factory resetting, and re-installing. Or you can try downgrading to the 1.0.9.42 version, factory resetting, and reinstalling. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7