Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk r7000 wifi droppimg

AeroJim
Initiate

Nighthawk r7000 wifi droppimg

I'm trying to find a similar issue here but no luck so far. For the last couple of weeks my router drops internet every 24 hours like clockwork. It's not wifi interference because I've reset it at different times (ex. 11pm then 4pm now 1030am).

The wrinkle is that if we're streaming (Netflix, MS Teams Mtg, Gaming) it will hold the connection and speed but everything else drops. If I reboot the modem from the app it is fine. I've also confirmed with ISP that they are not showing any drops in service to my house.

Any ideas?
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk r7000 wifi droppimg

What modem/gateway do you have? 

What firmware is on the router? 

Does it happen to wired devices as well as wireless?

Message 2 of 6
AeroJim
Initiate

Thanks for responding.
Modem Model: Technicolor Model #DPC3216

Router firmware V1.0.9.88

I haven't tested if a wired connection maintains yet as I don't typically have any devices wired in.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

The latest firmware for that router is the 1.0.11.123 version. 

The agreed upon most stable firmware is the 1.0.9.42 version. 

with any firmware changes on the r7000, I recommend doing it over a hardwired connection and doing a factory reset/reinstall afterwards. 

Message 4 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@AeroJim wrote:
Thanks for responding.
Modem Model: Technicolor Model #DPC3216

Router firmware V1.0.9.88

I haven't tested if a wired connection maintains yet as I don't typically have any devices wired in.

If it makes any difference to you or anyone else, I've been using the latest Hotfix v.1.0.11.123 without any issues whatsoever. But then I've downloaded and updated to every single firmware update in the last 16 months since v.64 with no issues. I refuse to believe that I am the only one with an AC1900 router that has never had a problem, so why so many people keep reporting issues with this router, is quite frankly a mystery. But then different ISP's, different environmental conditions, cabling, modems, I guess some folks will get problems. There's also a group of folks who genuinely have little idea of home network setups and will blame issues on the kit when in fact it isn't probably set up correctly or their building has 2 foot of concrete wall between each room and the WiFi isn't getting 100 feet down the garden.

Personally, I've never had any issues relating to dropped speeds or dropped WiFi here in the UK. Furthermore, I've just recently gone on to full fibre to the premises connection and my AC1900 is working flawlessly connected straight into a Optical Network Terminal at 150mbps download, 30 upload, so no more separate modem required for me as the ONT is now the business end of the connection. Yes, my speeds might seem crazily low compared to the people on 1gb downloads, but I really don't need that sort of speed!

It might be worth checking your Network Time Protocol server. I picked one here in the UK. You could of course use the Netgear default server, but if you've got a server nearer your locale, give that a try.

Worth reminding you as well, whilst v.42 might be seen in some quarters as 'the most stable firmware', it's pretty ancient firmware and probably full of security flaws. I'd personally steer well clear, but if it works for you or others, then best of luck.

Message 5 of 6
kdhollis
Aspirant

Same for me... it started a few revisions ago.   I can't go 24 hours without having to reboot.  Wired devices work fine.

1.0.11.123 version is what is currently installed.   I've made it a habit to just reboot every morning when I wake.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7