Re: Nighthawk r7900p Randomly drops attached devices and won't connect again if so it is at slow spe

Techperson2
Apprentice

Nighthawk r7900p Randomly drops attached devices and won't connect again if so it is at slow speed

I have had this issue with 3 of the modems. I can not get any devices to stay connected or pass traffic. I have worked with tech support now they will not talk to me because the phone support ran out. I have reset the firmware to what it comes with I have updated it. I have worked with Netgear support over 2 dozen times and nothing ever happens they say try this and call us back in 4 to 6 hrs they tell me that because they don't want me to call back until next day. I just got my 3rd replacement and still same issue. No connection and will not pass traffic. I have an Asus router that works if I plug it back in but not this piece of junk. $250 for this piece of junk I am tired of the run around I have started to post all the trouble with this model on social media and so far 10,000 said they will not buy it and they will not recommend it and they are sharing the page. So maybe Netgear will get the clue and fix this because they haven't helped me and the support is a joke. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 22
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk r7900p Randomly drops attached devices and won't connect again if so it is at slow spe

I assume you meant to say router not modem for have had 3. 

All I can say for this is welcome to the Netgear firmware fiasco! Sold mine.

Would suggest you go back to Asus or maybe Linksys

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 22
Techperson2
Apprentice

Now I can't get any help to fix my router that is DOA 3 hrs with one rep that ask the same question and 1 hour with a rep to have me do the same things. I have done. 2 hrs and the rep asked 3 questions and said he was escalating my issues? $300.00 later and I still can't get devices to connect to the router to pass traffic. The reps said let us pass this to our engineers and we will work on a issue in the next few weeks to months???????

How am I to use this router as was advertised when I bought this device from the store. This is a case of false advertising and there should be a multimillion-dollar lawsuit because they are fraudulently taking money for a false advertised product that doesn't work 

Message 3 of 22
Techperson2
Apprentice

Not Easy to do when they send you 3 DOA each time!!!

Message 4 of 22
Techperson2
Apprentice

Yes I ment to say router

Message 5 of 22
myersw
Master

IMHO, the $300 spent on tech support would have bought you a good router from a different manufacturer. 

In my case it will be a long time before I buy another Netgear router. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@Techperson2, I'm sorry you are having problems. However, if this is a rampant problem with this specific router, you would think there would be a lot more reports of problems here?

3 DOA's? Hard to believe, at least by me?

How did you get them, you never completely explained? Did you contact Netgear Support and get an RMA and did this 3 times? Or did you return them to the point of purchase? I only question if it was NG Support or not because I've never gotten a phone number to call them? They usually only contacted me via e-mail and occasionally in response to an e-mail back they will call me? Not saying you didn't, but if one searched the web there are many places that claim to be NG Support and do use the phones.

I don't really know your problem either?  About all you've said is "No connection and will not pass traffic."? No  direct information if this is wired or wireless or both? No mention of modem nor how it is connected to the router and if you turned off the modem before connecting the router? After updating the router, did you RESET it and re-enter the settings which you said you did, but not how? If you could do that you at least had the network working, so it might be a modem/router issue, even a bad cable? You said you put the ASUS back and it worked? If so, that suggests to me the modem is looking for that router by MAC Address. This happens if the modem is not turned off as it retains that address.

Without specifics it is hard to tell what is going on.

No need to reply, but I am just surprised many others haven't hit this situation?

Message 7 of 22
Techperson2
Apprentice

Not 3 DOA's They all work but they will not let any of my wireless devices stay connected they will drop or if they do connect there is no traffic that passes and if there is the speed is so slow that you can't do anything. Wired it ok. I have updated the Firmware. Netgear has had me change tons of settings to many to mention. The first one bought from the store the second one and third the manager of my case had them replace. Now that the same issue with the same model they won't do anything. It is the same issues these had before the last firmware update if I restart my router it works ok for a few mins to a few hours! I don't have a modem. My ISP comes strait in and uses PPPoE. 

Message 8 of 22
Techperson2
Apprentice

Now since the Tech person at Netgear deleted all my cameras on my account and my router and he will not even respond to the emails I have a replacement router that was DOA and no one at Netgear cares or will answer me even when i try to ask for help or open a new case. They want to take my $ but they will not help. I will not buy again or recommend Netgear!!!! Horrible company and service. 

Message 9 of 22
myersw
Master

Welcome to the Netgear haters and never recommend club.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 22
jgscorpio
Guide

@myersw What router would you recommend?  I have the R7000 and I updated the firmware to 1.0.9.42 and it destroyed my router.  I need to buy a new one and I wanted to get another Netgear router because up until I upgraded the firmware it was working just fine.  My set up is simple.  I live in a 2 bedroom apartment home, I have a couple computers, iphones, Alexa, Apple TV and PS4 connected to the router at all times.  I've been reading these discussions and you really know what you're talking about and I would like your recommendation for a new router since Netgear can't seem to get their issues fixed.

Message 11 of 22
myersw
Master

@jgscorpio wrote:

@myersw What router would you recommend?  I have the R7000 and I updated the firmware to 1.0.9.42 and it destroyed my router.  I need to buy a new one and I wanted to get another Netgear router because up until I upgraded the firmware it was working just fine.  My set up is simple.  I live in a 2 bedroom apartment home, I have a couple computers, iphones, Alexa, Apple TV and PS4 connected to the router at all times.  I've been reading these discussions and you really know what you're talking about and I would like your recommendation for a new router since Netgear can't seem to get their issues fixed.

As you can see by my posts I do not recommend Netgear, firmware = crap

I currently am running what is in my sig, but do not recommend for non-tech. 

IMHO I would look at Asus or Linksys for a good  router solution and not Netgear. Netgear, IHMO, has lost their way in the firmware forest.\

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 22
jgscorpio
Guide

Thank you @myersw for recommending Asus or Linksys!  I am def not successful tech person but I do try my best LOL.  It is so frustrating because Netgear was really good?  I mean, don't they offer a great product in the range of routers they offer?  What happened to them?  If I were in charge of Netgear, I would want to ensure that these issues were fixed so that my revenues weren't negativly impacted by people returning products and not using them for future needs and recommending to firends and family to not use them. YOu would think that with all the issues on their own forums that they would say "We need to find a solution to fix this!"

Thank you again!

Message 13 of 22
myersw
Master

Yes Netgear used to be great. I used to concider them as my go to manufacturer. However they seem to have lost their way. Firmware has bugs and they do not seem to be able to correct the problems. Sold my r8000 and r8000p. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 14 of 22
jgscorpio
Guide

@myersw can you recommend a router from Linksis or Asus that is comparable to the functionality of the Nighthawk AC1900.  2 bedroom apartment home. with 1-2 laptops connected, PS4, Amazon Echo, and 2 iphones and an ipad.  I keep looking through the different kinds and I can't narrow down what is similiar.  Being able to connect an external HD to the USB is nice, becaue I can access it from any of my devices.

I'd really be interested in your specific recommendation, if you don't mind?

Message 15 of 22
myersw
Master

Only first hand experience I have had is with the Asus RT-AC86U. I installed RMerlin on it which is Asus firmware with some fixes. It performed well for me and have a couple of friends using them still I think. Only thing I know of late Linksys is folks on this forum that drop Netgear like a hot potato and have gone to Linksys like them. Synology seems to be making a good product from what I read. Yes it can get overwhelming trying to pick a router manufacturer and model.

Might read up on things at smallnetbuilder. He does reviews of routers. Here is a link to get you started. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 16 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@jgscorpio, I am not disputing or saying you shouldn't take Bill's advice. It may or may not work for you. I was in a similar situation. Had Netgear hardware for a long time. Switched many years ago to ASUS and wasn't happy with it. Nagging problems and constant firmware updates (RT-N56U). Went back to NG with an R7000. Worked flawlessly for years. Then some period of time after a firmware update 18 months ago it started to act flakey (months after the last f/w update I installed by the way). Looked at LinkSys, ASUS, and others again. Read reviews on Small Builder, CNET, and others of recent routers. Looked at forums for those I finally were interested in and I'll tell you, forums are not a place to look at and base a decision on, but they help. All in all, they are ALL the same, similar complaints, after all, they are quasi-support forums. People do not post to praise products. See similar reports by many on the same problem, quite possible a h/w problem, but you never know. Reviews, well, there are usually some bias in those unless they are h/w comparision reviews with data to support decisions.

I eventually decided to get an R8000. Basically error free but with some nagging issues. I don't 'trust' the Attached Device display, in Genie on a Browser or Genie/Netgear apps. Can't edit device names. Smart Connect is questionable how it decides where to connect to. I do not use QoS, IPv6, Parental Controls, or Traffic Meter. I do not have 1Gbps Internet Service. All these tend to cause some people problems.

What you can not tell from these or any other forums is what the actual problem rate is? You'll see only a very small percentage of actual owners of any router here. You do not know how many have reported problems to NG without coming here. You don't even know how many threads are actually solved here as the OP doesn't mark them solved. All you know is someone had a problem.

Take my post with a grain of salt. Am I happy, no. I'm not happy with support and the way they do business, but it appears no other vendor does it better either. I'm still 'fighting' with Support on a case opened on 3/31/2018 that has not been resolved and they tried to close on me a few times claiming it is a Windows 10 problem.

Message 17 of 22
myersw
Master

@IrvSp

Your post really describes why I no longer have Netgear on my network. I want solid, do not even think about it network. So I went up a level from the consumer grade products. The Ubiquiti Unifi products are just working for me and the controller gives me more info then I could ever really want about traffic and types of traffic all with out any reduction in throughput. How much Netflix did that client use? i can tell you. Would say that the Unifi products are not for the normall user on this forum though and do not have things like parential control. Am running their beta on everything and do not have issues like Netgear betas. The total outlay was no more then what a r9000 would have cost me. Difference this just works and covers my house, with wet paster walls/metal lath environment  and is good for 1 gig Internet should I go there, currently 250/20. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 18 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, see Bill there are 2 things, and they may be mutually exclusive. The 'old' Plug and Play analogy. A router that is usually consumer grade and basically cheap. You put it in, power up, name your SSID's and it just works. On the other side is Commercial grade. Umpteen ways to configure it and options galore. First case, lower price, ease of use, 2nd, higher price, some skill might be required.

I think many problems with these consumer routers (all brands) are customer induced, either by 'accident' using settings that conflict or are not what they really want to use, such as device blocking or even IP Address assignments. Some might even have bad cables or questionable devices connected. Some do not understand why speeds are impacted or how to even measure them. Some of course mess up updates, have power line problems, or even surges that damage hardware. I'm sure some turn on a setting not even fully understanding what they do or the effect they could have, like Traffic Meter or QoS.  Commercial grade hardware is not for everyone, and cost could be an issue as well.

Me, I'll buy what works for me, and the lower the cost, the better.

Message 19 of 22
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote: 

I think many problems with these consumer routers (all brands) are customer induced, either by 'accident' using settings that conflict or are not what they really want to use, such as device blocking or even IP Address assignments. Some might even have bad cables or questionable devices connected. Some do not understand why speeds are impacted or how to even measure them. Some of course mess up updates, have power line problems, or even surges that damage hardware. I'm sure some turn on a setting not even fully understanding what they do or the effect they could have, like Traffic Meter or QoS.  Commercial grade hardware is not for everyone, and cost could be an issue as well.

Me, I'll buy what works for me, and the lower the cost, the better.

Could not agree more with what you have to say. Yes lots of issues are user induced. And yes the next grade up is not for everyone. As I said in post in my case the Ubquiti Unifi was not any more then a r9000, BUT much more knowledge of routers and networks is needed. But end result in my case well worth it. A network that just works without firmware issues or any other issues.  

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 20 of 22
Techperson2
Apprentice

I have been transfered to Jason and since I don't have a computer he told me to save my log files on my phone???? I told him I don't have a working router so how can I do that. Netgear support is worse than anything I have ever seen. Take your money and lock the door is all they do. Horrible Customer Support Horrible Product.

Message 21 of 22
Alton
Tutor

I'm late to this rant.

But have the same problems that started about 2-3 months ago. Didn't realize 'til today, that my USB drive wouldn't stay connected even if I was hard wired to the system. So I was chasing wi-fi issues for months with no luck.

I'd guess it's a set of MS and Netgear software conflicts that no one has bothered to fix.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E