Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk r8000 2.4 ghz band connection issues in access point mode

mick7975
Aspirant

Nighthawk r8000 2.4 ghz band connection issues in access point mode

Have had 2 r8000's now with same issue.  Installed with firmware update and without, router works fine in Router mode, but NOT in access point mode.

While in access point mode, 2.4 band keeps failing for unknown reason.  It will work perfectly, then suddenly stop, and none of our devices are able

to connect to it.  Power cycling ISP modem/router, and factory resetting r8000, rebooting computer, and reinstalling r8000 seems to fix, but fails

again at random.  Longest we've gone with no issue is 24 hours.  Shortest time, 5 min after reinstalling it failed.  It is very frustrating as I don't have

time to keep doing this.  1-800 support is no help.  Keep getting stuck with level 1 techs who can't help.  Was offered NetGear RMA, return merchandise authorization to get a replacement unit, but skeptical as we are already on our second unit.  There is obviously a problem.  And the RMA requires us

to pay for the shipping to send our unit to Netgear, in return once they receive it, they will send us a replacement free of charge.  I can simply bring

it back to best buy without paying anything!  But I like the r8000, and would like some help diagnosing the actual problem and resolving the issue.

While the 2.4 band is down, the 5 ghz band has been stable and works fine, the problem is that our laptop cant use 5 ghz, everything does.

If we had the money I would replace the laptop, and this wouldn't be an issue!  But I don't mind learning, and trying to figure this out.  I think there

must be a setting or maybe it's an actual defect with the model.  Netgear has denied any other cases similar to ours.  Would like a level 2 - 10 tech

to suggest possible solutions, heck level 100 if there is such a thing!  Thanks.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk r8000 2.4 ghz band connection issues in access point mode

Hi mick7975,

Please update the firmware to the latest one. Reset the router after and manually reconfigure.

http://kb.netgear.com/000037342/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-36?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
mick7975
Aspirant

I should add, the r8000 is installed in the same room, 6 ft infront of us with no obstructions.  We live in a residential neighborhood

in a single detached home.  There are currently 4 other networks on channel 1, 3 on channel 6, and 3 on channel 11.  I don't understand

how it can be working perfectly, then suddenly stop for no apparent reason.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mick7975,

Why is the R8000 set on AP mode? Do you have other DHCP server in the network?

Message 3 of 6
mick7975
Aspirant

Hi, yes we have our isp modem/router.  I can bridge the isp router, and use the nighthawk in router

mode with dhcp enabled, and it works flawlessly with great range. I was trying to use it in an alternate setup, which is easier for me, by using the r8000 in access point mode.  This is when the 2.4 band fails

spontaneously.  I am skeptical about keeping it knowing we have this unresolved issue, to me it should work the same regardless of router or access point modes.  

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mick7975,

Please update the firmware to the latest one. Reset the router after and manually reconfigure.

http://kb.netgear.com/000037342/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-36?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 5 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mick7975,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7