Reply
Cynyster
Tutor

Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

After I updated my computers to the 2004 Feature update, "ReadyCloud" can no longer connect with the "ReadyCloud" client installed on my remote computers.

Computers on the LAN can connect fine.

My Laptop and work machine cannot.

This is not a company firewall issue, as my laptop uses a wifi hotspot and I have also connected my work destop to the wifi hotspot as well with no change.

 

I can access the share fine if I use the web page.

 

Attached is a screen shot.

 

Steps I have taken so far:

Reinstalled the readycloud client software.

Disabled the windows firewall.

 

I have a sneaking hunch that Microsoft made a change that screwed things up for Netgear's VPN connection

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


@Cynyster wrote:

After I updated my computers to the 2004 Feature update, "ReadyCloud" can no longer connect with the "ReadyCloud" client installed on my remote computers.

Not sure  what the 2004 Feature update is, but I have two up to date Windows 10 installations, including one running previews.

 

ReadyCloud soldiers on.

 

It is always a pain. When I see things like this, I try to get in with a browser. This at least confirms that the service works, if not Netgear's crappy client.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 14
Cynyster
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

I can get to the share via a web browser just fine.

The client says VPN not connected.

As to what the feature pack is... instead of service packs (in the old windows operating systems)  They are now called "feature updates" and they are identified by date 2004 is  April 2020.  the previous version was 1903 (March 2019)  etc

 

Again the clients taht are on the local network are fine. It is only the remote clients that need to make use of the VPN built into the client that do not work.

Message 3 of 14
PPP_Inc
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

This is my experience as well.  All clients are remote, and I've alerted everyone to NOT oupdate when offered the opportunity.  Still no word on a fix, eitherto Windows, or to ReadyCloud.

Message 4 of 14

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


@PPP_Inc wrote:

Still no word on a fix, eitherto Windows, or to ReadyCloud.


Possibly because it is not universal.

 

I never got to the bottom of it, but I have seen that behaviour before and after Windows updates, going back over some time. It just comes and goes. From this I conclude that something else is going on.

 

Has anyone reported the problem to Microsoft? After all, it seems to have created the update that caused the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 14
Cynyster
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


@michaelkenward wrote:

@PPP_Inc wrote:

Still no word on a fix, eitherto Windows, or to ReadyCloud.


Possibly because it is not universal.

 

I never got to the bottom of it, but I have seen that behaviour before and after Windows updates, going back over some time. It just comes and goes. From this I conclude that something else is going on.

 

Has anyone reported the problem to Microsoft? After all, it seems to have created the update that caused the problem.


This does not seem to be a "Microsoft" problem.  I use a variety of VPN software. (One for work, a different one for personal use, and not to mention the built in VPN that some browsers have) They all function normally after the "2004" update.  So this seems exclusive to the Netgear ReadyCloud.

Message 6 of 14

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


@Cynyster wrote:


This does not seem to be a "Microsoft" problem.  I use a variety of VPN software. (One for work, a different one for personal use, and not to mention the built in VPN that some browsers have) They all function normally after the "2004" update.  So this seems exclusive to the Netgear ReadyCloud.


It is hard to reconcile that statement with the claim that it started happening with the latest Windows update and that older versions of Windows do not see the problem.

 

Logic suggests that if ReadyCloud has not changed, then it is down to something elsewhere that is different.

 

Then there is whether it is a Netgear thing or something to do with the VPN of whatever sits behind ReadySHARE.What's with this VPN disconnected error?

 

I go along with @Cynyster in that first message:

 


I have a sneaking hunch that Microsoft made a change that screwed things up for Netgear's VPN connection

 

Perhaps you have other insights.

 

Rather than batting around blame, let's look for underlying issues that we can then throw at the appropriate people. That means trying to do a bit of diagnosis rather than just moaning.

 

Has anyone tried playing around with the network settings?

 

Another reason for trying to work out what is going on is that Netgear puts bugger all effort into fixing things like ReadyShare. Updates to the ReadyCloud app are rare. I guess it doesn't make any money, unlike the growing array of add-on services that Netgear peddles. It might actually be easier to get Microsoft on the case.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 14
Cynyster
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

I do thank you for your input.

But I think there is a flaw in your logic.

Microsoft changes things in windows constantly (that is the whole purpose of the updates).

Calling Microsoft would be a wasted call (and expensive).  They will simply say that "your issue is with Netgear so bring it up with them"

 

And I will have to agree.  Microsoft may done something that screwed up netgears software.

But it is up to netgear to make sure that their own software will function. 

Microsoft can't go chasing around making sure every vendor is OK with the changes being made.

 

Simply from a pragmatic standpoint Netgear needs to make sure that their software functions on Windows like every other software vendor.

 

But to your point I have done more than just complain about it not working. 

After a bit of investigating it seems that the client is not creating the "tunnel" properly.

The client reliably connects to Netgear's login servers, but the hand off to connect both ends of the tunnel does not occur. Why this is, is something a technician at Netgear will have to look into.

Message 8 of 14

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


@Cynyster wrote:

 

And I will have to agree.  Microsoft may done something that screwed up netgears software.

But it is up to netgear to make sure that their own software will function. 

Microsoft can't go chasing around making sure every vendor is OK with the changes being made.

 


So, Microsoft breaks something, which happens a lot, and the rest of the software world has to jump and mend it?

 

What a strange world you live in.

 

You are, by the way, using a version of windows that describes itself as a beta. This feature still works in the current consumer release of Windows.

 

The clues is in that beta label. It is work in progress. By the time this release gets out into the real world, Microsoft may have mended the hole. That is what beta tests are for.

 

By all means keep screaming at Netgear of it makes you feel happy.

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 14
PPP_Inc
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

My original query was about a Surface Pro 6 (win 10 home, 1909) that gives the "VPN Disconnected" error message.  Are there any known incompatibilities with this particular surface?

Message 10 of 14
Cynyster
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

I am not aware of incompatability with the Surface Pro.

The fact that you are having issues with the client  and an earlier version of windows makes me want to load the netgear software on a system that has not been updated yet to see if the issue is on NETGEARS side of things (which is looking more and more likely)

Message 11 of 14
PPP_Inc
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


As stated earlier, I have a win 10 pro 1909 Lenovo desktop that's fine.  My personal computer, win 10 pro 2004 (personal build, AMD Ryzen) connected with 1909, does not with 2004.  This thread started because the surface pro 6 didn't connect at a colleagues house with his credentials or mine.  The surface pro 3 that it is replacing connects just fine.

Message 12 of 14

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004


@Cynyster wrote:

 

The fact that you are having issues with the client  and an earlier version of windows makes me want to load the netgear software on a system that has not been updated yet to see if the issue is on NETGEARS side of things (which is looking more and more likely)


See above.

 

The Ready Cloud Windows app works fine in Windows 1901 64-bit.

 

Microsoft appears to have broken somethkng between 1901 and 2004.

 

It may well be that other apps that use a VPN behind the scenes are hit. If so, that news is unlikely to have reached Netgear, and certainly not this community.

 

There are, however, plenty of messages out there in Google land reporting tales of woe.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 13 of 14
Cynyster
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk r8000 - Ready Cloud cannot connect after Window feature update 2004

Netgear has released a firmware update!

I am pleased as punch!  They fixed the USB  automounting after powercycling issue!

Well Done!

 

Hopefully the "ReadyCloud" VPN issue is next on the agenda!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 495 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements