Nighthawk r8000 trying to setup external drive connected to nighthawk

89blkbrd
Aspirant

Nighthawk r8000 trying to setup external drive connected to nighthawk

I am trying to hook up a HDD to my nighthawk when I do the readycloud part I end up at the discover page and it does not accept my serial number and the airraid or whatever doesn't see it. My nighthawk is registered and does come up registered so why can't I get past this discover page.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk r8000 trying to setup external drive connected to nighthawk

@89blkbrd wrote:

I am trying to hook up a HDD to my nighthawk when I do the readycloud part I end up at the discover page and it does not accept my serial number ... My nighthawk is registered and does come up registered so why can't I get past this discover page. 

Advanced -> ReadySHare -> ReadyCloud does show the Nighthawk router registered to your MyNetgear account?

ReadyCloud Router Registration.PNG

The ReadyShare USB device is recognized, and a shared folder does exist, and can be accessed?

@89blkbrd wrote:

...and the airraid or whatever doesn't see it. 

RAIDar is only for ReadyNAS discovery and local/offline discovery and installation, not for Nighthawk routers. 

Message 2 of 5

@89blkbrd wrote:

I am trying to hook up a HDD to my nighthawk ....

As well as the advice from @schumaku, it might help if you said what the HDD is.

ReadyShare is dead picky about the USB devices it accepts.

You can get an idea of what you can use from this page:

Will my USB drive work with ReadySHARE | Answer | NETGEAR Support

For serious networking use Ethernet.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 5
89blkbrd
Aspirant

I really appreciate the help. I do not know why but I can not get to the screen you are showing. My HDD is a WDBF 4tb and I tried a scandisk flash drive

Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Did you actually connect the USB drive using the READYSHARE tab on the R8000, see screen capture on right -->

You have to connect the drive with that first.

The USB Filesystem is NOT robust. It doesn't recognize a lot of drives for a variety of reasons. Filesystem on the drive, drives with more than one partition, some Portable drives, most drives over 4TB's, for instance.

Also some will have the drive work in the USB 2.0 port but not the USB 3.0 port.

Portable drives on the USB 3.0 is usually a bigger problem. WDBF is only the first part of the model number so I can't tell if it is Portable or not? From your problem, I suspect it is. A 'standard' Desktop Expansion model would work more than likely. Can try it in the USB 2.0 port, it might work?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E