Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk r8000 with gigabit internet

lesyriad
Guide

Nighthawk r8000 with gigabit internet

So I just got giigabit internet installed.  Works great when I connect my computer directly to the modem.  But as soon as I connect the modem to the router I get about 400-450Mbps 😞  I have tried everything I can think of: different cat5e cables (all tested and work with just computer and modem), reset to factory default, connect only 1 computers to the router, etc.  and no matter what I always get about 400-450Mbps.  Now this wouldnt upset me if I could get 450Mbps to 2 computers at the same time but if I do test 2 computers at the same time they both get about 200Mbps :(.  Im not sure where the issue is but it seems to be on the wan port because when I go into QoS and do the speedtest there it also gets 450Mbps. When copying files between 2 computers I do get ~1Gbps so thats working which means its just the wan port that seems to be having issues.  Wan port does show 1000M/Full in connection status under statistics.

Router firmware up to date.

Tested on windows 10 and windows 7.  (Network drivers are up to date)

So I'm at a complete loss now.  Dont know what to test next.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
lesyriad
Guide

SOLUTION FOUND:

So it seems to be an issue with the netgear r8000 itself and the only solution I found was to rewire how the network connected to the r8000.

Before:

R8000 had all rj45 ports used going to various locations around the house.

After:

R8000 connects to modem via wan.  1 port on the r8000 connects to a gigabit switch.  All other devices connect to the switch instead of directly to the router.  Yes I know this solution makes no sense but I get 920Mbps down from the internet on various devices now.   Whats really weird about this solution is that during testings I had only 1 computer connected to the router (directly) yet I only got about 450Mbps.  I have no explaination on to why this works but hey Im getting my full speed now.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Disable features that cause your traffic to be CPU bound, like QoS, Traffic Filter and retest. I would suggest runnning your speedtest from a client, not the router. (speedtest through it, not from it)

Message 2 of 9

Even if you make those changes, don't expect to get gigabit Internet.

400-450Mbps may be on the low side, but 1 gigabit is a theoretical maximum, even for the router's LAN.

Today's modem and routers use technology designed when gigabit Internet was a dream. Often they connected at <10 Mbps, the speed of ADSL and connected to LAN stuff that maxed out at 100 Mbps, itself a theoretical number. They are great with the 100 Mbps that is the fastest Internet that many people can hope for with VDSL.

Most people ignore the numbers, forget about speed testers and just site back in amazement that their Internet is way faster than they could possibly need.

Message 3 of 9
lesyriad
Guide

Already tried disabling all features.  Even tried reseting to factory default like stated in first post. And speedtest has been run everywhere.  I originally tried speedtest with just computer/modem get my 1Gbps.  Then I tried modem-router-computer with speed test on the computer I get 450Mbps.  Then I tried speedtest from the router.  I also get 450Mbps here.  I tried copying a file from one computer to a second computer on the land I get 1Gbps (File transfers at 110MegaBytes/sec)  So my internal lan is fine and getting great speeds.  But I cant break 450Mbps on the Wan port.

Message 4 of 9
lesyriad
Guide

Seriously 1gigabit is the "theoretical maximum"  WRONG the standard is designed to be able to transfer that fast.  So if I have equiptment capable of that speed and eliminate all other factors I SHOULD get that otherwise I was sold a defective product/false advertising.  While other factors play into whether you can get that speed.  (interferance, heavy network traffic, etc.) I have already stated modem-computer direct connection speedtest gets 1Gbps.  Computer-computer on lan file transfer 1Gbps.  But modem-router-computer (with only 1 computer on the router) 450Mbps.  So why is it that everything does get that 1Gbps in one test and I have shown that my computers/networkcards/etc do get that but the WAN port of the modem is my bottleneck.

Message 5 of 9

@lesyriad wrote:

Seriously 1gigabit is the "theoretical maximum"  WRONG the standard is designed to be able to transfer that fast. 

Your gigabit Internet is travelling through a gigabit LAN port. All network communication comes with an "overhead" that gets gobbled up by the control of that traffic, among other factors. There was an interesting discussion on that around here a week or so ago. Any test that shows gigabit over LAN is suspect. According to that, over 900 Mbps is pretty good.

But don't take my word for it. (Why should you?)

First Test: How Fast Is Gigabit Supposed To Be, Anyway? - Gigabit Ethernet: Dude, Where's My Bandwid...

What is Gigabit Ethernet?

"Because of factors like network protocol overhead and re-transmissions due to collisions or other transient failures, devices cannot actually transfer useful message data at the full 1 Gbps (equal to 125 megabytes per second) rate. Under normal conditions the effective data transfer over the cable may still reach 900 Mbps at least for brief periods."

Internet access - Wikipedia

"Data rates, including those given in this article, are usually defined and advertised in terms of the maximum or peak download rate. In practice, these maximum data rates are not always reliably available to the customer."

Suppliers of gigabit Internet, or any Internet, wisely describe their service as "up to".

The makers of hardware are equally imaginative in their marketing. But believe what you like.

Message 6 of 9
lesyriad
Guide

Yes and I agree with everything you said there and overhead is the bottle neck.  And when I say speedtest shows 1Gbps I mean I get 900Mbps-950Mbps as Im account for the overhead.  So internal lan computer-computer file copy I get ~110-115MB/sec or 880-920Mbps or basicly my 1Gbps.  When I connect my computer directly to the modem and run multiple speed tests I get ~850Mbps-950Mbps (and Im not just talking about my ISP's provided speedtest I do tests with various hosts and tests where I make multiple connection to different servers to fully saturate the line), and I consider that 1Gbps because of obvious overhead, collisions, etc.  Now it goes to show that the bottleneck of my network is the nighthawk x6 router.  SO its not a question of why cant I get full 1Gbps its a question of WHY is my WAN port of the router the bottleneck.  What overhead is it adding that is making me loose more than 50% of my what I have shown should be possible.  Disabling every feature of the x6 that should be adding more overhead and even trying to DMZ a computer (router should pass traffic through without much overhead) shows no improvement.  50% is not an acceptable drop for overhead.  I would be willing to accept ~700Mbps with basic services running (nat, block ping)  but even with all those services off there is no increase.  I have never seen speeds pass 450Mbps through the wan into the lan over the router.  So what is causing this 50% drop,  what overhead?  At this point I'm half tempted to take one of my computers throw a few 1Gbps/cards in it and make it the router and the x6 an AP to see if that eliminates the bottleneck.

Message 7 of 9
netwrks
Master

@lesyriad wrote:

Yes and I agree with everything you said there and overhead is the bottle neck.  And when I say speedtest shows 1Gbps I mean I get 900Mbps-950Mbps as Im account for the overhead.  So internal lan computer-computer file copy I get ~110-115MB/sec or 880-920Mbps or basicly my 1Gbps.  When I connect my computer directly to the modem and run multiple speed tests I get ~850Mbps-950Mbps (and Im not just talking about my ISP's provided speedtest I do tests with various hosts and tests where I make multiple connection to different servers to fully saturate the line), and I consider that 1Gbps because of obvious overhead, collisions, etc.  Now it goes to show that the bottleneck of my network is the nighthawk x6 router.  SO its not a question of why cant I get full 1Gbps its a question of WHY is my WAN port of the router the bottleneck.  What overhead is it adding that is making me loose more than 50% of my what I have shown should be possible.  Disabling every feature of the x6 that should be adding more overhead and even trying to DMZ a computer (router should pass traffic through without much overhead) shows no improvement.  50% is not an acceptable drop for overhead.  I would be willing to accept ~700Mbps with basic services running (nat, block ping)  but even with all those services off there is no increase.  I have never seen speeds pass 450Mbps through the wan into the lan over the router.  So what is causing this 50% drop,  what overhead?  At this point I'm half tempted to take one of my computers throw a few 1Gbps/cards in it and make it the router and the x6 an AP to see if that eliminates the bottleneck.

You can run pfsense on the laptop. or, look at Ubiquity PoE5, ERL3, or ERX(or ERX-SFP).  I sold all my NG hardware.

Message 8 of 9
lesyriad
Guide

SOLUTION FOUND:

So it seems to be an issue with the netgear r8000 itself and the only solution I found was to rewire how the network connected to the r8000.

Before:

R8000 had all rj45 ports used going to various locations around the house.

After:

R8000 connects to modem via wan.  1 port on the r8000 connects to a gigabit switch.  All other devices connect to the switch instead of directly to the router.  Yes I know this solution makes no sense but I get 920Mbps down from the internet on various devices now.   Whats really weird about this solution is that during testings I had only 1 computer connected to the router (directly) yet I only got about 450Mbps.  I have no explaination on to why this works but hey Im getting my full speed now.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7