Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk router blocks microsoft remote desktop

mbarnes18
Tutor

Nighthawk router blocks microsoft remote desktop

I bought a Netgear CM700 and Nighthawk R6700 - AC1750 for my internet through comcast xfinity at my new apartment. Everything works as expected except Microsoft Remote Desktop does not work to my work computer. My office uses a gateway and we have an IT guy who is only mildly available and helpful some of the time.

Issue: I try to connect to my work computer through any device on my home network (hard wired or wifi) I get an error similiar to "An error occurred while communicating with the Remote Desktop Gateway. If this keeps happening, contact your network administrator for assistance.

Error code: 0x300005f"

Troubleshooting I've done:

Restart modem and router - doesn't work

Use windows, mac, chromebook (wifi) - doesn't work

Hard wire into router with windows laptop - doesn't work

Connect using my iPhone as a modem - works

Hard wire into Netgear modem (router not connected) - works

Connect to ExpressVPN and connect through router using wifi - works

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk router blocks microsoft remote desktop

a couple things you can try. 

1. try a different dns provider. try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

2. try putting the PC you're using into the routers DMZ

Message 2 of 5
mbarnes18
Tutor

Went to advanced tab, clicked internet port, changed DNS Address to "Use These DNS Servers", added 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, applied, router rebooted, tried to reconnect to MS Remote Desktop. Same error.

Went to advanced tab, WAN Setup, Checked box next to Default DMZ Server, entered IP address of my laptop. Router rebooted. Tried to reconnect MS Remote Desktop. Same error.

I also gave my laptop a static IP so it wouldn't keep moving every time I rebooted the router and tried setting up port forwarding for both port 443 and 3389 to my laptop's internal IP. Still same error.

I'm wondering if I should return my "smart" wifi router and buy a "dumb one" and hope that it's the smarts that are getting in the way of working from home. Maybe this router would work better? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756QFLXP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

theres a few threads on microsoft about that error. 

I'd read through a few of the threads. 

Error code: 0x300005f – Feedback for Microsoft Remote Desktop Clients (uservoice.com)

Message 4 of 5
mbarnes18
Tutor

I read through these topics but nothing new to try or any solutions provided. I did buy a different netgear router to see if that fixes the problem, and it does. I unplugged the R6700 and plugged in the R6230, restarted the modem and the R6230 works fine. My working hypothesis is that the R6700 is too "smart" for it's own good! Now just waiting the hear back from Netgear about returning the 6700.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7