Nighthawk router won't stream Netflix

krysmiss
Tutor

Nighthawk router won't stream Netflix

Starting on Monday 10/29 (4 days ago) Netflix stopped loading on all my TVs - a Samsung SmartTV, Roku Stick, and TCL Roku TV. All other apps work on these TVs work perfectly, and Netflix is working on all other devices (smart phones, laptops, tablets). All devices are connected to the same router. When I connect directly to the modem, Netflix works. 

So far I have:

1) reset all devices

2) reset router and modem

3) Speed test = 55mbps (fast.com)

4) uninstalled/reinstalled Netflix app

5) Updated router to newest firmware. 

6) Downgraded router to the last known working firmware

7) Adjusted MTU to what should be optimal (1500) (determined using netgear recommended method https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router )

8) Called Roku and Netflix that both deny a buggy update

9) Waited a few days in hopes it resolved itself. It did not. 

10) Checked the router logs - nothing interesting  

I found a few threads with this problems from 2016 - march 2018, but I haven't seen any soutions. Any new ideas? 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk router won't stream Netflix

Has anything changed over the weekend or is it still not working at all?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 18
Alton
Tutor

After trying everything I could think of (including arguring with service reps from Century Link, Amazon, Netgear, and Netflix), I realized I was getting interuptions of wireless service through the Netgear router that didn't happen when I used the wi-fi that was built in to my Century Link router. (Which I had never used until I started trouble shooting.)

I was able to stream Netflix directly through the Century Link wi-fi connection, despite having a much weaker wi-fi signal because it is on the opposite end of the house.

Good luck.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

R7800 router
Exactly the same issue
I upgraded from an Asus RT-AC68U which had no problems
R7800 set up fine. All attached equipment works but both my Sony TV and my Virginmedia V6 box cannot stream netflix. They will show me the catalogue but if I try and play anything it stops and accuses me off using a proxy or unblocker. The only songs I have changed is the SSID and password.
Can anyone advise?
Message 4 of 18
Alton
Tutor

After trying everything I could, I decided Netflix was the problem. My WiFi signal was fine but Netflix has a criteria embedded that I couldn’t meet.

I went with an extension using house wiring and (sort of) gave up on wi fi for Netflix. Ran an extension right to the den.

Been fine since.
Message 5 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

@Alton wrote:
After trying everything I could, I decided Netflix was the problem. My WiFi signal was fine but Netflix has a criteria embedded that I couldn’t meet.

I went with an extension using house wiring and (sort of) gave up on wi fi for Netflix. Ran an extension right to the den.

Been fine since.

Sadly, I cannot run a direct cable without using the router switch which then stops streaming.
I'm trying to fathom the difference between the Asus and the Netgear routers. Perhaps something in the hardware firewall?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 18
Alton
Tutor

I wasn’t real clear - for me the solution was to use a “PowerLine Ethernet adapter” from my modem on one side of the house to next to the TV. I still use the Nighthawk but not for Netflix. 

Check, for example a TP-link AV2000

Message 7 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

Yes - that would be fine and would be a solution for me if I didn't require the router to service the other 7 gadgets (2 other smart TV's, phones, amplifier, Virgin V6 box etc).
I have reverted back to my Asus RT-AC86U and all is fine so the problem is a combination of Netflix's proxy detection and Netgears equipment causing it to falsely conclude a proxy is in place.
My Netgear is now up for sale!!

Message 8 of 18
krysmiss
Tutor

My ISP got back to me later in the week - apparently it was a known bad update by Netflix. Of course Netflix denied, but after the next update the issue was resolved. 

Message 9 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

Possibly, however mine is still a major issue and I cannot even get Netflix through the ISP's own set-top box since using a Nighthawk so I've now reinstated my Asus router and all is well. The issue is clearly between Netflix and Netgear and I can't be bothered to listen to them both blambe someone else

Message 10 of 18
Smokey613
Aspirant

I continue to have issues with my R7000 AC1900 with DNS service. I finally installed a DHCP server on my Windows 7 iTunes server so I could push out DNS settings to clients to use external DNS servers and NOT the R7000 itself. That corrected that issue but the myriad of other wifi issues that started about a year ago after a long overdue firmware update still persist. Now that I am retired and have time to dig into all these problems, it appears the only solution is to dump the R7000 and get a non Netgear router. I purchased my R7000 new in 2014 and it had been great until last year. I think an Asus is going to be my next router.

Message 11 of 18
colin2328
Aspirant

had the same problem. Unplugging and restarting my TV fixed it: 

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22213?ba=SwiftypeResultClick&q=ui-800-2

Message 12 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

I tried that several times (Router, Modem,TV, Amplifier etc etc).
Netgear contacted me directly and proceded to spout the same advice as I've seen in several threads - which I'd tried alweady too.
I gave up, sold the Netgear and put my ASUS back in which works with Netflix flawlessly every time.

Message 13 of 18
Big_John
Aspirant

Try changing the MTU setting to 1400. Worked for me with Netflix and Foxtel iq4. 

R7000P Nighthawk router

DM200 modem

iinet NBN 50 unlimited plan

Message 14 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

Thank-you - but tried that - no joy
I've now bought an ASUS AC88U and it works perfectly again so I shall just avoid Netgear routers forever more!

Message 15 of 18
myersw
Master

@dca860 wrote:

I've now bought an ASUS AC88U and it works perfectly again so I shall just avoid Netgear routers forever more!

After my experence with a r8000 and r8000p I totally agree with your move. In my case a RT86U worked where a Netgear r8000/r8000p did not. Moved on to Ubiquiti for network solution. Current solution with AP's is providing better coverage then I got before and the Unifi AP's are hardly noticeable on a high self. No antennas sticking up. 

IMHO Netgear provides good hardware, but firmware support leaves much to be desired. Currently, with the fact that release after release the firmware has the same issues, tells me there is no testing for issues or QA before ship of firmware to the unsuspecting customer. 

Would not recommend Netgear to an enemy much less a friend. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 16 of 18
dca860
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

@dca860 wrote:

After my experence with a r8000 and r8000p I totally agree with your move. In my case a RT86U worked where a Netgear r8000/r8000p did not. Moved on to Ubiquiti for network solution. Current solution with AP's is providing better coverage then I got before and the Unifi AP's are hardly noticeable on a high self. No antennas sticking up. 

IMHO Netgear provides good hardware, but firmware support leaves much to be desired. Currently, with the fact that release after release the firmware has the same issues, tells me there is no testing for issues or QA before ship of firmware to the unsuspecting customer. 

Would not recommend Netgear to an enemy much less a friend. 

Actually, to prove I wasn't being a 'tard, I bought a cheap used DrayTek 2830n router. This worked perfectly and actually offered slightly better coverage (2.4G only though and it was a nightmare to set up with no setup wizard to assist - being business grade -and me being an amateur!!).
I'm very glad to have moved away from Netgear and I'm truly amazed that these issues havent lost them a massive chunk of the market

Message 17 of 18
myersw
Master

Actually, to prove I wasn't being a 'tard, I bought a cheap used DrayTek 2830n router. This worked perfectly and actually offered slightly better coverage (2.4G only though and it was a nightmare to set up with no setup wizard to assist - being business grade -and me being an amateur!!).
I'm very glad to have moved away from Netgear and I'm truly amazed that these issues havent lost them a massive chunk of the market

Glad you have found a solution that works for you. As you found out, moving up from consumer grade provides a stable network. My experience with Unbiquiti as well. Yes harder to configure as the interface is not as user friendly as the consumer grade routers, but end result is worth it in my opinion. However, I would not suggest that the person just getting a router go to this as it does require some knowledge that might be above their head. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements