Re: Nighthawk slow net speed

bboncorr
Luminary

Nighthawk slow net speed

I can confirm after rolling back my firmware the WIFI and hardline speeds significantly improved. Trying to get gig service over the weekend I went through the xfinity modem (450mbps wired/ half that on wifi), Arris 8200 (350mbps wired/ 250mbps wifi), nighthawk modem 1150v (380mbps wired/ 280mbps wifi). Spent countless hours on the phone with comcast but it was clear there is nothing they could do about it. Once they started blaming home wiring i knew it was not going to be resolved through them. So after a quick search i found rolling back the firmware worked immediately. Now I'm getting (900+ hardline/ 450+ wifi). I can't even imagine how many people are losing out by not getting the speeds they're paying for simply because the firmware has been bad for a long time. It's been bad for so long that it almost seems like they're trying to push us into buying new routers because the older model can't handle the speeds.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
farbod
Luminary

I've been dealing with this issue since the latest update Firmware Version

V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 . Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router

As you mentioned, the speed drops off drastically 😞

Enabled Disney circle at Parental control. (basic service) Cable or WIFI Internet speed drops

Circle off

Circle On

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 9
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @bboncorr and @farbod,

Welcome to the community!

I have sen you messages. Please check your inbox.

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 9
bboncorr
Luminary

Unfortunately rolling the firmware back is the only solution I've found that works. Anything 1.07 gets full speeds but later will consistently cut speeds by half
Message 4 of 9
jamespark
Luminary

My R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 with firmware v1.3.1.44_10.1.23 also slows down my xfinity gigabit connection to around 250 Mbps download, but only if I enable an advanced feature like QoS or Traffic Meter. If I disable those services and just have wifi on, I get the gigabit speeds again. Something about enabling a service seems to be causing a slowdown issue.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 5 of 9
farbod
Luminary

Finally, after talking to a tech ppl (Netgear), there is a problem with the latest version.  I downgraded to R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.  Now everything working perfectly, High speed download and upload as it is supposed to be. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
bboncorr
Luminary

I went through all my settings last night and the only conclusion i found was it's the firmware. QUOS kills the connection regardless of how it's setup.
Message 7 of 9
bboncorr
Luminary

I just tried rolling back to that exact firmware version 1.09. The WIFI was good, laptop full speeds but my XBOX hardlined for some reason couldn't hit 170mbps. Did a couple resets and checking settings but nothing would help the Xbox. Finai reverted back to older firmware and first test is back to full speeds.

I'm done being a beta tester for netgear. Just sticking with what works and will be looking to move on from netgear and any other brand they might own. It would take a huge leap for them to keep me at this point and the companies/people i recommend products to daily.
Message 8 of 9
farbod
Luminary

Good for you. I would do the same. It is not worsted to pay for high speed without being unable to take full advantage of it.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E