Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk with broken internet port as repeater

jutta_duncan
Aspirant

Nighthawk with broken internet port as repeater

Hi,

Recently the internet port on my Nighthawk broke (maybe due to a surge). So after purchasing a new router, I thought I'd set up this Nighthawk as a repeater to repeat my main network. I'm having trouble getting into the settings of the Nighthawk however (so I can follow the steps in the Nighthawk manual to set it up as a repeater). Specifically, I cannot access the Wireless settings. The Nighthawk manual calls for connecting it via ethernet, but obviously that's not going to work for me since the internet port is down.

Any suggestions on how I can get this set up as a repeater anyway?

Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk with broken internet port as repeater

Hi jutta_duncan,

You are correct. The R8000 cannot be used as a repeater. The function of the R8000 is router mode, AP mode(wired to the main router). 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927/~/how-do-i-change-my-netgear-router-to-ap-mode-a...

You may need wireless extenders instead.

JamesGL
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

reset to factory settings, then IF the DHCP is still working.... connect using wired pc...if no connection it may have more problems

I didn't see repeater in the manual did you?

Message 2 of 7
jutta_duncan
Aspirant

Hi, thanks. Geez, on second look, I've been looking at the wrong manual online the whole time. Does that mean this router cannot be used as a repeater after all? 

I did the factory reset already... what do you mean "connect using wired pc"? Connected to what exactly? Ethernet to one of the other ports on the Nighthawk? Or connect the PC via ethernet cable to my router?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

connect a pc to r8000 lan port......reboot pc and open browser type 192.168.1.1  if you cannot manage it via the WEB GUI all bets are off

Message 4 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi jutta_duncan,

You are correct. The R8000 cannot be used as a repeater. The function of the R8000 is router mode, AP mode(wired to the main router). 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927/~/how-do-i-change-my-netgear-router-to-ap-mode-a...

You may need wireless extenders instead.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 7
jutta_duncan
Aspirant

Ah, thank you so much for clearing that up for me JamesGL. 

Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi jutta_duncan,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7