Re: Nighthawk x10 Ad7200 (R9000) Keeps Dropping Connection

Nighthawk x10 Ad7200 (R9000) Keeps Dropping Connection

What a trashy router. My R9000 started dropping connection on both types of connections whenever and the only way to fix it is to turn it off and on again. This isnt acceptable I need my connect to stay on all the time. Any thoughts on how to fix or anyone having this issue?

Also the internet connection light on the front of the router is white and does not turn red showing that the there is no internet. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@SekushiiAdamina wrote:

... dropping connection on both types of connections ... 

Wired and wireless?

5 GHz and 2.4 GHz?

Firmware version?

ISP & Internet connection information?

Any related information in the log?

Message 2 of 12

I have over 25 devices connected to the router and i was reading this device cant handle that many connections is that why this dumb router keeps dropping all the connections? Reason i have so many is cause i have a smart home. and the smart home devices are like outlets and light switches count as one device. 

Message 3 of 12

Yes all wireless and wired connections. And i dont use the 5.0ghz wireless really. Everything is connected to the 2.4ghz. I mostly use wired although. 

Router Firmware Version
V1.0.4.28

Comcast, i have gig internets. I only upgraded to this router cause of the claim of being able to support such speeds as my last peaked at 300mbs. But my last one never dropped the connection like this one does.

What would you need to know from the log?

Message 4 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Would be interesting to see if there are any indications of a WAN/Internet drop in the log - before the cold restart of course.

Message 5 of 12

Nope nothing in the log stating that. Just devices connected to it.

Message 6 of 12

I've connected a samsung smart hub in hope to give the router less items connected directly to it. Didnt help. The router still disconnects whenever for whatever reason, sometimes it disconnects 3 times a day. other times it wont dc for another day or two? Imo the router is trash itself has nothing.

ON PHONE WITH NETGEAR TECH SUPPORT all they keep telling me to do is reset the router!? and to check the firmware ver over and over. Router Firmware Version V1.0.4.28

My next thought is a HARDWARE FAUILURE. THE ROUTER IS TRASH. IM TRYING TO GET THEM TO FIX IT. I JUST WANT A ROUTER THAT DOESNT FAIL. The fact that i Paid so much for this trashy router and trashy support. Makes me never want to buy anything from netgear ever again. and i will tell everyone to stay away as its a nightmare dealing with thier "Tech Support" theyre not even techs theyre just reading from a script because they have no insight to give besides from whats written on paper in front of them.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R  we're a little bit lost here, need your assistance.

Message 8 of 12

Tech lady would not replace my router until i went through the steps with her. This is what she had me do: They had me log on the http://www.routerlogin.net/index.htm and change the channels on the router to 11 for the 2.4 and 161 for the 5.0ghz.

MTU Size(in bytes) to 1492

She asked to check the firmware verison: Router Firmware Version V1.0.4.28

Advance> Advance setup> Wireless Setup

next had me change the CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347) to 2304

Now wants to wait 24 hours to see if i still disconnects.

Message 9 of 12
myersw
Master

@SekushiiAdamina 

My next thought is a HARDWARE FAUILURE. THE ROUTER IS TRASH. IM TRYING TO GET THEM TO FIX IT. I JUST WANT A ROUTER THAT DOESNT FAIL. The fact that i Paid so much for this trashy router and trashy support. Makes me never want to buy anything from netgear ever again. and i will tell everyone to stay away as its a nightmare dealing with thier "Tech Support" theyre not even techs theyre just reading from a script because they have no insight to give besides from whats written on paper in front of them.

I know this is not a popular response, but if within the return window do a return and get a different vendor, such as Asus or Linksys. 

Netgear has some really crappy firmware right now. They release new firmware that does not even have fixes for known issues. 

Netgear used to be my go to vendor, but after a r8000 and r8000p I moved on. Suggest you do the same. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 12

I wish i could take it back but netgear bs me with pointless tech help right out of the return window. I didnt know they made such a **bleep**ty product. I shouldve just taken it back instead of try to deal with them in fixing it. 

Message 11 of 12

Today I called back the useless tech support agent again in an attempt to get a router that works. She asked if it was the first time calling? I was like don't you get the case number that it makes me type into the phone at the beginning of the call? 

I had to explain to her that the router is broken, she asked have I updated the firmware? Omg, are you kidding me? This is Netgear's finest support here. I told her I've been on the phone several times already told your people yes it's updated to the latest firmware and I've tried resetting the router as they told me to do the first time. and I did all the stuff they ask every time I call. The router fails to perform.

Then she asked me for my email and phone number and put me on a long (5 min) hold to verify these items. 

Finally said she was going to replace the router. 

She gave me a new case number because the closed the previous case. 

I have to send them my router and be without a router until they send me a new router? and check this 
  • You are responsible for the freight charges of shipping the defective unit to NETGEAR.
I'm never buying a NETGEAR router again. And I will never recommend a NETGEAR router to anyone. I would never want anyone to go through what I have had to do.

To have people from this forum who are masters and what not tell me to just return the crap and get something else is really bad for Netgear itself. 
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E