Nighthawk x10 R9000 2.4ghz Band quit Working.

Njj0425
Tutor

Nighthawk x10 R9000 2.4ghz Band quit Working.

My 2.4ghz band quit working it shows active but none of my electronics can find it they only find the 5ghz band I have reset the router 4 times tried an older firmware still can't connect..Really thinking my router is Defective any one else have this issue...The cost of this router this thing should be a Tank..

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk x10 R9000 2.4ghz Band quit Working.

Welcome to the community, @Njj0425

That's strange.

Can you check the channel and as well as the broadcast SSID is selected on 2.4GHz?

If everything seems to be ok, I strongly suggest that you contact support and log a case. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 11
Sabre31
Aspirant

Same issue here.  I think X10 is bad hardware and support is useless.  You know they will read you some script which all involved, resetting the router, don't use a config, go back to this firmware and I tried all of that and it does not work.   Tried beta firmware and latest stable firmware and same issues.   At this point I am ready to return my router and get something else.     5Ghz works fine at all times just 2.4ghz is bad.

Message 3 of 11
Sabre31
Aspirant

Just wanted to send an update on this.  I ended up returning my R9000 to the store for a full refund.  There is definitely hardware or bad design issues here.  I am really hoping its only firmware and future releases fix this.  However I was at Best Buy returning my unit and there were 2 people in front of me returning the same router for same issues.   I asked the customer service rep if they had a lot of these returns and they said yes many have returned their purchases for refunds.   I was going to request an exchange but when I saw that I said no thanks give me my refund.    Really hoping Netgear fixes whatever the issues are and releases a statement that it is fixed for sure so I can go back and get it again at a later date.    I hooked up my old WiFi router which is also a netgear and no issues my 2.4Ghz devices connected right away and zero drops.

Message 4 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Njj0425 It seems that you got your unit replaced. How's the connection so far?

@Sabre31 We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

I will forward this report to our engineers for verification.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Njj0425 Are you still having problems with the router? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 11
Njj0425
Tutor

Hi router seems to be working ok on the Beta firmware 2.4 band seems to work good but 5ghz band seems very spotty will run on all my devices super fast but then boggles down an runs really slow.I have had this issue since I have had the router so doesn't matter what firmware I'm on I have same issue.The router I have right now is a Warranty Replacement since the first one I had 2.4band didn't work at all..I don't know I think this router has to many issues I'm thinking about getting rid of it an getting something else...
Message 7 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you experience the 5GHz problem with the previous router or is it just the 2.4GHz?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 11
Neurotix82
Tutor

The latest firmware update made my router start experiencing the same issues. The 5Ghz signal strength is strong and stable, though the speed is not impressive and significantly outperformed by the x6 with all three bands.. both the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz, as well. The 2.4Ghz band on the x10 has am inconsistent ssid broadcast. The only way to connect is to check the "connect even when not broadcasting" option on the network card, then "auto connect" on wireless setting. The broadcast seems to pulse and, without these settings, will almost immediately disconnect.

I have tried switching to vacant channels. I've unchecked the 20/40 coexistence and disabled the 60Ghz band. I allowed DHCP to auto configure IP/DNS settings, and have also assigned everything manually.

Factory resets do not solve this, nor does resetting or rebooting the modem. I'm past the purchase return date for the supplier, but within the manufacturer warranty time frame.

I do notice that, after a factory reset, the router automatically updates it's firmware during the initial startup process. If the problem isn't the firmware update, and from reading online it doesn't seem to be, then it's absolutely faulty hardware. When I unhook the x10 and reinstall my x6, I immediately hit wireless speeds ranging from 1.1 to 1.3Gbps.

Any update or solution to this apparently popular issue would be great. The router was quite expensive to be so outperformed by its previous versions valued at half the price. Had I known this router would render my wifi almost unusable, I'd have went with the ASUS Rog, tbh.

Message 9 of 11
jimdiggity
Tutor

I'm experiencing the same issue...there appeared to be a slow degradation of the 2.4ghz band which now isn't even showing up at all. 

Specs:

-R9000 running latest available firmware (that I can find) V1.0.2.40

Symptoms: 

-2.4ghz is non-existent...the admin page has it listed as active and broadcasting the SSID, but nothing is showing up at all when scanning from my laptop. The 5.0ghz is showing up fine, however.

-I have some 2.4ghz smart home clients and those have now ceased to exist on my network and throwing errors about "no network available."

-Router 2.4ghz LED is lit and solid

-Router Wifi LED is on

-Possibly related? DHCP was going crazy in my logs for the 2.4ghz clients over the past few days...I get logs emailed to me and was receiving an email 2x/day when the log reached capacity. The clients were re-joining every 5-8 minutes, even when I provided static IPs to them.

Troubleshooting:

-Cycled 2.4ghz from admin console - no change

-Cycled Wifi from front panel button - no change

-Enabled 20/40mhz co-exist - no change

-Tried various 2.4ghz channels (auto, 2, 6) - no change

-Rebooted router from admin console - no change

Does this mean I'm out of luck and 2.4ghz is just gone for good?

Message 10 of 11
jimdiggity
Tutor

Ok, finally turned off 2.4ghz from the admin console, rebooted from admin, turned on 2.4ghz and after a few minutes the 2.4ghz SSID popped back up.

The DHCP issues are still persisting, so if the 2.4ghz wifi is related, then this issue is not solved.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements