Re: Nighthawk x10 SFP+ Networking Question

KingAmI
Guide

Nighthawk x10 SFP+ Networking Question

Hey guys! I’m hoping a network guru can chime in on this and give me some tips. I have a nighthawk x10 router and wanted to make use of the SFP+ port for my Mac Mini Server and NAS connections. BUT, I have a complex setup with my LAN network currently and I’m using PiHole on a dedicated Raspberry Pi for DNS resolution in order to block tracking and Ads network-wide. So my question is: If I use the SFP+ port to connect to a SFP+ switch and connect those two devices through that, will those devices still get internet access? And, will those devices still be on the same network as the rest of the LAN devices? Is another separate 10Gb network created? If so, how can I get all these devices to remain on the same network? Thanks in advance for any input.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

I am thinking of doing the samething. Have you tried anything yet or set this up?

I have the X10 and bought the MikroTik crs305 and just waiting for my 10gb card for one of my Unraid servers to arrive. I was thinking of hooking the x10 to the switch and connecting the two unraid servers to the switch so I could tranfer between them at 10gb and have internet through the x10.

Let me know, what you came up with. Thanks.

Message 2 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

Hello. Yes, that setup will work, but, the two servers won’t have access to internet. This whole 10G thing is pretty confusing and online info is scarce. I recently had to return because I also bought a netgear sx10 switch and couldn’t get internet connection to the MacMini on the Mikrotik switch, and neither did the new switch. Device to Device connections work at 10G, but the devices connected to the Mikrotik switch have no internet access. I recently contacted support to see if I can get internet access somehow on those SFP+ ports. Waiting to hear back from support.
Message 3 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

Ok. Because I have one unraid server connected via the 10gb sfp+ port and it is connected to the internet. I use it currently, as my Plex server. So I was hoping to split that into two with the MikroTik. So you think that I will lose the internet connection by conecting the MikroTik to that port?

Thank you for your help and reply.

Message 4 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

You currently have your server connected to the Mikrotik Switch and it gets internet access? That’s great news!! How did you configure the switch for that? I connected my MacMini with a RJ45 to SFP+ connector and I get an active link on the SwOS interface, but no internet access. Is your switchOS in default settings?
Message 5 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

I am sorry for the confusion. I currently have one unraid server connected to the sfp+ port on the x10 but have not connected the MikroTik to the x10 yet. That was kinda of my question. Do you think I will lose the connection when I try and do that? I am planning to try this on saturday when I get my 10gb card for the other server.

I am hoping that it will passthorugh the signal like it currently does. But it seems like I am being optimistic, because sounds like you have already tried this.

Message 6 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

Yes you will. According to Netgear, only data is passed through the router’s SFP port. It cannot be used for internet access. I already tried connecting that port to the netgear sx10 switch, which is 10GB compatible and I got a good link, but no internet access whatsoever. I also connected a CAT 8 cable from my x10 router into the Mikrotik switch, but no devices connected to that on the SFP ports get internet access. Seems like this 10G thing is only good for device to device transfers, but no internet access. Which sux. I don’t expect 10Gb speeds when accessing the internet obviously, but it would be nice to retain the 1G fiber internet connection on these ports as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Message 7 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

Dang it. So it sounds like that I am out of luck with what I was trying to accomplish. I think I am going to give it a shot on Saturday. If for some reason a miracle happens and I accidentaly get it to work (which is a hail mary). I will make sure to let you know what happened. Because the strange thing is that I have internet through that port now. My unraid is my Plex server which is connected to that port currently and is servering movies to me and my family. Thats why I thought it may work, long shot but just may work.

Message 8 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

If Plex is installed directly on that server then that may explain why it works. But, as far as I know, there are NO LAN capabilities using those ports. I’m interested in this as well as I just recently returned the SX10 switch to Best Buy cause I couldn’t get any internet access on the devices connected to that switch. So, my setup was like this:
X10 router’s SFP port connected to the SX10 switch, then I had my media server, Apple TV and NAS connected to the SX10 switch. None of the devices connected to the SX10 switch could access the internet. I then tried connecting these devices to the Mikrotik switch using RJ45 to SFP+ adapters, quite expensive, and that didn’t work either. When I contacted Netgear, most agents didn’t know what an SFP port was, and when I finally got someone who understood my setup, I was told it’ll never work because the port functions for data transfers only, not internet connectivity. But, that didn’t make much sense to me either, as they recently added the WAN functionality to that SFP Port on the SX10 router. If you have an RJ45 adapter, try plugging in any other device to that port or the SFP ports on the Mikrotik and you’ll see that there’s no internet connectivity whatsoever. Unless I’m missing something here. I hope Mikrotik chimes in soon and gives me some good news because all of my servers require some kind of internet access. I can’t just hook them up to the 10G ports and not have any internet connectivity.
Message 9 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

So. Got some news. I have hooked up the MikroTik bridge today. I plugged the X10 10gb port into the slot 1 and plugged my Unraid server in port 2 and they both have internet. So my hope is that when I get my 10gb network card today I will be able to plug that into port 3 and have internet to that one. Fingers crossed.

So the Unraid server is using port 1 on the MikroTik bridge for internet and so far so good. It connects and I can reach it via the web interface. Plex is back up and running and has as a connection. Now I hope it will work the same for the second server once its connected to port 3.

Message 10 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

I think we have a different ideas when we say “internet access”. On any of the devices you have connected can you use a browser and confirm you get DNS resolution?
Message 11 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

The SFP port on the X10 router is for “uplink” only, so if you have that port connected to the Mikrotik switch, I don’t think it’s performing any function whatsoever. Do you have the server or the router connected on port 1 of the switch? You mention both devices are connected yes to that port 1.
Message 12 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

Ok. So out of the x10 sfp+ port to MikroTik sfp+ port one. Than Unraid server to MikroTik sfp+ port 2. That is everything I have connected currently. Unraid server is connected to the internet. I am still waiting for the nic card for the other server. Hoping that it will work the same. I will be connecting that to the sfp+ port 3. So that I will be able to transfer files between the two with the 10gb.   

Message 13 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

Lol. Ok.
Message 14 of 16
Acozad1
Aspirant

Do you foresee me having an issue or am I doing this wrong? Everything seems to be connected and updating. I’m currently coping files through the MikcroTik to the X10 to the other server connected to gigabyte connection.
Message 15 of 16
KingAmI
Guide

I think we are confusing ourselves here a bit. My whole issue is that I can’t get DNS resolution from the X10 router’s SFP+ port. If I connect any devices directly to the Mikrotik switch, that’s connected to another regular 1G switch, there’s no issues. But if I try to use the X10 router’s SFP+ port I get no DNS resolution. So basically, I think the SFP+ port on the X10 router is uplink/data only at the moment.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E