Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk x10 WiFi signal interruption

Mikeme
Guide

Nighthawk x10 WiFi signal interruption

As the title suggests, I am experiencing constant disconnects with my x10.

To the point where every 20 minutes anything connected to the WiFi loses connection momentarily, then it returns.

I have done the following: replaced the router, reset the router, hard reset the router, toggled a variety of settings. QOS disabled, etc.

Because I have already replaced the router, and because any device connected through LAN does not experience the issue, It makes me think there’s a device on my network that is causing problems.

I have around 92 connected devices on my network. Mainly smart home products, but a few smart phones, iPads, computers.

Basically, I want to put a feeler out if anyone is experiencing an issue like this and found a product connected to be the culprit, and if so what product? If my theory is right, is there an easy way to tell which one, without removing a device from the network and waiting for the issue to happen ?

If this helps at all: router logs show DOS attacks (only thing out of the ordinary there).

Any information at all would be appreciated

Aside from qos dosables, the router is on the lastest firmware 1.4.12 I believe, and all settings are stock.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Mikeme
Guide

*Update*

After now going through 3 of these, and having the same issue. I have decided to dump this thing and get this: https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Max-Stream-EA9500-802-11ac-Ethernet/dp/B017NT8Q24/ref=sr_1_14?rps=1&i...

I have had an x10 for a little over a year now, and when it works its great. But it just has been sucking lately. So I am out. Peace!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
zookeee
Tutor

I'm having the same issue. Did the "smart connect" thing (which I am loathe to do) and it helped A LITTLE. I shouldn't have to do that though.

Went through this before. Finally "fixed" itself.  

Message 2 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

What is the smart connect?
Message 3 of 15
zookeee
Tutor

It is where you set your wireless device names and passwords to the same thing and it will switch you to whichever has better service. It is a setting when you login to the router dashboard. Very poor way to describe it but it is 2 in the morning here and I am a layman here just looking for help on a different problem. Still would like answers to this issue though....

Message 4 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

Gotcha, lol.

I will give that a try and let you know. Today I also plan to wipe it again, and not reload the backup file and start from scratch.. again.

But with 92 devices it’s a real B to reconnect everything.
Message 5 of 15
xnsys
Luminary

Disable 802.11k (Smart Roaming)

It's in the Advanced / Wireless area.

Message 6 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

Do you mean smart connect? “Let the router intelligently select the best 2.4 or 5 band for your WiFi connections”.

That setting is already disabled.

Thanks
Message 7 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

So if smart roaming and smart connect are the same thing, it looks like a bit of contradictory info.

But since that setting was already disabled, I’ll go ahead and enable it and see what happens.
Message 8 of 15
xnsys
Luminary

No...Smart roaming and smart connect are two seperate things.

One is found under Advanced > Setup > Wireless settings (Smart Connect), the other is found under Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.

Message 9 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

Disabled, lets cross our fingers. Let me say this though. I downgraded firmware, then upgraded to the latest, then did a full factory reset, then reloaded my original settings and since the date of this initial post, I have not had the issue. Not to say it will not come back up.

But in doing that it solved the issue. So now I will wait a few days, and if it does not come back, I will mark yours as the answer, and anyone reading this should do what I explained above. Make sure to back up to a config file. Admin -> back up settings.

Message 10 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

And the issue started back up this afternoon. Every 10-15 minutes the wifi goes out momentarily and pops back on within a few minutes as if its rebooting. Man this x10 is a POS. Sometimes you have to wonder with all the functionality built into these routers, the software might be all frankencoded together..

Message 11 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

*Update*

After now going through 3 of these, and having the same issue. I have decided to dump this thing and get this: https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Max-Stream-EA9500-802-11ac-Ethernet/dp/B017NT8Q24/ref=sr_1_14?rps=1&i...

I have had an x10 for a little over a year now, and when it works its great. But it just has been sucking lately. So I am out. Peace!

Message 12 of 15
zookeee
Tutor

Xnxns

Mine was never enabled
Message 13 of 15
Mikeme
Guide

While I wait for the new router to ship, I bumped it back to the previous firmware ending in .36.

Seems to have solved all my issues, but I’m tired of this POS, and tired of the “we fix bugs after pushing an update” mentality they have at netgear. It’s too vital of a device in my house to have to worry about.
Message 14 of 15
myersw
Master

@Mikeme wrote:
While I wait for the new router to ship, I bumped it back to the previous firmware ending in .36.

Seems to have solved all my issues, but I’m tired of this POS, and tired of the “we fix bugs after pushing an update” mentality they have at netgear. It’s too vital of a device in my house to have to worry about.

I agree with your thoughts. Suspect you will be happier with the Linksys. I got fed up with the crap firmware and sold my r8000 and r8000p and moved on. Equipment I have now just works. Sad thing is Netgear used to be my go to manufacturer. Have had many different routers over the years. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7