Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk x10, ad7200, model,9000

john8
Aspirant

Nighthawk x10, ad7200, model,9000

have have a HP laser jet printer connected to the router via an ethernet cable.  the connected port shows amber.  I have powered off the xfinity modem and the routher.  at time i can print at times the printer shows offline.  currently the printer will not print and the line light is solid amber.  HOW CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM AND PRINT.  I have a wireless printer and it prints everytime.  the laserjet is not wireless capable. suggestions.  router purcased feb 2018.  thank, john

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
john8
Aspirant

thanks, i reset the printer and it works properly but i still have the steady amber light.  is this speed related?  john8

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Amber light means the device is communicating at 10 or 100 Mbps instead of 1 Gbps. Most if not all consumer models come with a 100 Mbps network chip as it's not only a bit cheaper but also more than enough for a printer

I suggest you unplug the printer from the router, do a complete reset of the printer and plug it back in into the router

Message 2 of 5
john8
Aspirant

thanks, i reset the printer and it works properly but i still have the steady amber light.  is this speed related?  john8

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

Yes, speed related. You printer comes with a 100 Mbps network chip. When such a device is connected to a current NETGEAR router, the router will indicate it with Amber light. 

I also have a printer and a few other devices with a 100 Mbps chip and they also show amber light when connected. Nothing to worry about. It's even in the documentation of your router... google your router's model for documentation and read if you're worried

Message 4 of 5
john8
Aspirant

thank you very much.  excellent solution and it works.  john8

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements