Nighthawk x10 r9000 Intermittently recognizes USB3.0 128G Memory stick (Samsung)

Salakos
Tutor

Nighthawk x10 r9000 Intermittently recognizes USB3.0 128G Memory stick (Samsung)

I've been seeing a lot of issues similar to mine, but I haven't seen one exactly like mine. I have reformatted my USB3.0 128G memory stick to NTFS and it was detected just fine. Ran Plex from a NAS hard drive and library scan was going well, metadata was being downloaded. However, it will randomly stop detecting my usb drive. The router will say "USB not detected" WHILE I'M SCANNING. Nothing was moved, jarred, etc. The USB light will even be on, on the router itself. The only way I can get it to recognize the drive again is to reset the modem a bunch of times and cross my fingers. Anyone have a solution to this?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk x10 r9000 Intermittently recognizes USB3.0 128G Memory stick (Samsung)

Welcome to the community, @Salakos

Did you try other USB stick?

Try a different USB port?

Also, did you log a case with our support team?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 16
Salakos
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk x10 r9000 Intermittently recognizes USB3.0 128G Memory stick (Samsung)

I have tried a different port, but not a diffefent usb 3.0 stick. However, the stick is brand new and works on my laptop. I didn't realize there was a way to log a case with the support team. I was under the impression that this was my only recourse.
Message 3 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may contact our support team by logging into my.netgear.com and go to My Support. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 16
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. I'm using WD 2TB hard drive USB 3.0. Do you have an Xbox One connected to your router? The reason I ask is I have one and it had caused all sorts of issues with my router. After finally getting that squared away, well kind of I started using my Xbox to play my plex media files. Ever since my USB has been randomly disconnecting. I stoped using the Xbox and all is good for now. Not totally sure this is the problem but it might be. So I'm curious as to if you have an Xbox.
Message 5 of 16
Salakos
Tutor

Wow... that IS weird. What's weirder is that I have a PS4, and that's what I use to stream media.
Message 6 of 16
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

Interesting! I have not used my PS4 to stream my plex but i might try it and see if it causes an issue. If you can fully shut down your PS4 than avoid using plex on it for a day or 2 and see if it helps. Feel free to play games or anything else on the PS4 just avoid opening the plex app. Very curious if it helps. It's been a few days since I've used my Xbox to stream plex and still haven't had an issue. I'm going to try and watch a movie on it tonight and see if the issue returns. Hopefully we can work together and come to a solution. I know a lot of people have been having similar issues that vary slightly so maybe others will join this post soon!
Message 7 of 16
Salakos
Tutor

Will do!
Message 8 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you guys have QoS enabled by any chance?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 16
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

Yes I do!
Message 10 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you disable it and see if it will make any difference?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 11 of 16
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

Yes I will try that thank you!
Message 12 of 16
AnonymousScorpi
Aspirant

So I disabled QOS and it made no difference. It has been fine for the last 4-5 days however today it is not showing as connected on the x10. USB light not lit. I haven't used the Xbox so I'm really stumped on what the problem is. Why would it work great for a few days than just suddenly lose the connection?
Message 13 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AnonymousScorpi Have you submitted a case with our support team?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 16
Salakos
Tutor

No, I haven't logged anything with the support team. I've had my router greater than 120 days and I am damn near offended that we have to pay for "support" after that. Especially since the router itself didn't do what I thought it did until much later when the firmware allowed an NAS drive to play Plex vice being directly fed by a USB 3.0 drive that can't be accessed on the network.

Message 15 of 16
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you provide the exact model number of the external drive you're using?

Will the issue occurs using a different external drive?
Also, have you tried resetting the router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E