Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk x10 two questions

Velcnet
Aspirant

Nighthawk x10 two questions

Greetings,

have two questions about r9000:

1. How I can change time zone for router?

2. Looks like router restarting by himself sometimes. Log shows events after rebooting only. Is there any chance to understand why it rebooted?

firmware: 1.0.2.32

Thanks

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Is QoS enabled? Disable to see if router stops rebooting. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 20

All Replies
Velcnet
Aspirant

Ok, found answer for 1. Security->schedule. Actually, imho, wrong category for this setting.

looking forward for answer about rebooting.

Thanks

Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is QoS enabled? Disable to see if router stops rebooting. 

Message 3 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Yes, QoS is enabled. Will try to disable it.

Message 4 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

@FURRYe38, should I disable Dymanic QoS only or WMM for both 2.4 and 5 bands as well?

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Just QoS. Keep WMM enabled. Can test WMM disabled later. 

Message 6 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Thanks, @FURRYe38,

now looks better. Is Dynamic QoS unstable? Is this for all Netgear routers or only R9000 issue?

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

QoS was fully intro'd in v.32 so it may have some issues. One user mentioned that he reverted back to v.30, then manually updated back to v.32 and seems to be working. 

You could try this. Factory reset the router between each FW load then one last reset then set up from scratch. 

Message 8 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Once I connected router, first thing I did - update FW to latest one and only after this start setup. So, I believe, no need to factory reset. Will wait new FW version and enable QoS after this.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

QoS was a major feature add to FW so a factory reset is recommended to clear out any uknowns and ensure a good clean install and set up is set for the new FW. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Yesterday I did factory reset. Main reason was that 2.4 WiFi worked on b/g mode only.

2.4 wi-fi starts work correctly. Also, I enabled Dynamic QoS, updated performance optimization database. Well, at least one reboot happened today morning. And, as usual, no log entries before rebooting.

Will test a bit longer, but looks like current FW is a bit buggy - QoS, WiFi, remote access enabling via iOS app and others.

Hope most of them will be fixed soon because I liked this router.

Message 11 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

And one additional stupid question: R9000, actually, is 2-band router, one for 2.4 and another one for 5. 60 is useless for now and I don't believe I will use it soon.

So, maybe it is stupid question from technical point of view, but is it possible to setup third band to work on 5GHz mode?

Only after purchasing I realized that R9000 has less bands that, for instance, Linksys EA9500.

Ok, I have old Linksys router and swithed to Netgear because Linksys has some issues two: some of apple devices lost wifi connectivity after sleep - it was critical, mess in 'Devices' section - a lot of duplicates - it's not critical, but shows buggy FW/SW only.

So, questions are:

1. Can R9000 60GHz band can be converted to second 5GHz band (I think no, but ...)

2. Or it does not matter how many 5GHz band I have once I have only up to 8 5GHz wifi devices (most of them does not requires real AC speed and can be swithed to 2.4GHz band, once have 2.4GHz devices too and need this band to be on) and I will not see speed decrease?

Message 12 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Well... Router reboted few times during day, so leaving QoS off and waiting for new FW.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

The 5Ghz radios I presume is HW based and not FW based so this portion of the 5ghz band can't be modified. 

Message 14 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Thanks, @FURRYe38,

Could you please advice what is the best:

1. Connect all 5GHz devices to 5GHz band (up to 8 devices). Can R9000 balance all these devices?

2. Switch devices, that don't require 5GHz speed to 2.4GHz band to have balance between bands.

Currently only I have 5GHz band and no other 5GHz networks are available. At the same time there are around 10 another 2.4GHz networks near me.

Thanks!

Message 15 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

One more thing happened: 

[DHCP IP: 192.168.0.103][Device Name: APPLE-TV] to MAC address , Wednesday, June 21, 2017 15:46:57
[DHCP IP: 192.168.0.103][Device Name: APPLE-TV] to MAC address , Wednesday, June 21, 2017 15:45:24
[DHCP IP: 192.168.0.103][Device Name: APPLE-TV] to MAC address , Wednesday, June 21, 2017 15:44:07
[DHCP IP: 192.168.0.103][Device Name: APPLE-TV] to MAC address , Wednesday, June 21, 2017 15:42:37

I read the same issue for Orbi, but looks like R9000 has the same issue too.

Message 16 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Ok, it was because of HT160 enabled. Once disabled it, such messages are gone.

Also have 

[Internet connected] IP address:

messages every 10 minutes, but once to internet drops, looks like can ignore this.

Yeah, a bit strange router!

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

The X10 should be able to handle 5Ghz devices on it's radio well. 

Ya, HT160 should be disbled if you don't have any supporting devices that connects at that rate. 

Message 18 of 20
Velcnet
Aspirant

Thanks, @FURRYe38!

Last question - I have [Internet connected] log entry each 5 minutes. 

Connection status:  NETGEAR Router R9000

Lease Obtained 0 Days, 0 Hours, 10 Minutes

I don't expect any connection breaks, but for me it's not normal.

Do you know if it can be router issue or it is only ISP provider issue?

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Your seeing log entries every 5 minutes? Maybe a router behavior logging thing...

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7