rce07
Aspirant

Nighthawk x6 AC3200 Model R8000 internet repetitive disconnects multiple times a day

First, I'm not a techie but if I have some direction, I will try.

Since firmware version V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 was installed, the router disconnects from the internet multiple times per day. We have all netgear products: high speed cable modem model CM500 and the router above. Service provider is Spectrum. When I've called them, they say that its not on their end. Modem does show constant internet connection. To get an internet connection to the router, it usually requires both the modem and router to be completely turned off and restarted.

What will fix this issue?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk x6 AC3200 Model R8000 internet repetitive disconnects multiple times a day

@rce07 wrote:

To get an internet connection to the router, it usually requires both the modem and router to be completely turned off and restarted.

What will fix this issue?

Are you sure BOTH have to be turned off and then on? It should also be done in 'order'. That is wait for the modem to come fully up before turning on the router.

The reason I ask about both is because if you only turn off the router and then back on, and do not get the Internet connection it quite possibly could be the modem?

If you can log into the CM500 I'd look at the Event Logs just to 'check' Spectrum. The call agents can do that as well but some will not. If you see T3 Timeouts or even a reboot, that could be the smoking gun.

Message 2 of 4
rce07
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk x6 AC3200 Model R8000 internet repetitive disconnects multiple times a day

Hi. 

I logged into the modem as you suggested.

I see MANY of this message: 

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;

And I see several "T3 time out" and a few "T4 time out" messages.

What do these messages mean then? It's the modem or its Spectrum? 

Thank you SOOO much. I don't really understand any of it but I'm willing to try.

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@rce07 wrote:

Hi. 

I logged into the modem as you suggested.

I see MANY of this message: 

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;

And I see several "T3 time out" and a few "T4 time out" messages.

What do these messages mean then? It's the modem or its Spectrum? 

Thank you SOOO much. I don't really understand any of it but I'm willing to try.

Yes, those are problems... I don't understand why the phone agent didn't look at that? Hope you aren't on the old Brighthouse like I am. It took me MONTHS to get them to fix my modem problems. Since I have a phone through them I was stuck with crummy Arris eMTA modems. They put 3 of the same models in and all 3 failed the same way. It took MONTHS of me calling almost every day with the same disconnect of the modem problems before they decided to put in a modem/router and bridge the router. BINGO, problems were gone.

Not sure what your log looks like, but on my Arris below the  DOCSIS CM events are the MTA events. That is the one which would show the loss of signal and reboots.  DOCSIS(CM) Events

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements