Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x6 R800 - Wi-Fi losing internet

sbatur
Aspirant

Nighthawk x6 R800 - Wi-Fi losing internet

Hi folks,

I got an X6 R8000 which I am suing about a year now. My network is set up as following:

- A main modem router provided by the internet provider (fiber) with 4 giga ports. On this device the Wi-fi is disabled.

- X6 r8000 connceted to the main router via LAN cable acting as wireless access point on the ground floor / DHCP disabled, main router is the DHCP server / Wifi 2.4 SSID is same with the other router on the attic but different channel / WIFI 5 G SSID different than the WIFI 2.4 but same as the WIFI 5G  on the attic and WIFI  channels are different than the other router on the attic

- the router on the attic is connected to the main router via LAN cable acting as wireless access point / DHCP disabled, main router is the DHCP server / Wifi 2.4 SSID is same with the other router on the ground floor but different channel / WIFI 5 G SSID different than the WIFI 2.4 but same as the WIFI 5G  on the ground floor and WIFI  channels are different than the other router on the ground floor.

Basically I have the main router acting as the DHCP/No wifi and other two routers on the ground and 3rd floors acting as Wi-fi access points. I have one SSID for 2.4 channel and a different SSID for 5G channel. This setup I have is the one I am using for several years without any issue. However since I have replaced my previous NETGEAR I had with the X6 R8000 on the gorund floor I have unstable and sometimes not internet connection even though I can see that I am connected to the wifi R8000. If I reboot the R8000 when this issue occurs internet connection comes back up but lasts for 2-3 days and then issue perpetuates. Interestingly devices connected to the LAN ports of the r8000 don;t lose connectivity to the internet. 

When this nissue occurs if I swithc wifi connection of the device to the one on the attic I have internet access. If I switch back to r8000 wifi connects but no internet connection until I power cycle the R8000.

I have the latest firmware (V1.0.4.76_10.1.82). I tried older firmwares, I did factory reset a million times. I tried using it not as an AP but a separate netwrok behind the main router, no luck. 

I replaced the r8000 with another router temporarily in the same setup stcuture I explained above things work fine. I'm convinced that this is a HW issue and called the Netgear support but unfortunately somneone with an attitude picked up the phone. Never even listened to what I had to say, patronized me and bottom line ended up with phone hung up on my face!

I live in the netherlands and everytime I call the support number the same very guy picks up, I just can't go past him and he is not friendly at all. He ggave my a mental breakdown last time. Looks like there isn't any other support or complaint number I can use. Very disaapointing support from Netgear. 

cheers,

Sukru

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x6 R800 - Wi-Fi losing internet

Since your ISP has a router. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

I would try #2 first if not, #3.

Message 2 of 5
sbatur
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

my configuration is the 3rd one in your reply. option 1 is not an option and I'm sceptic about option 2 since issue is isolated to wifi only. on other words in this entire setup (which is configured according to the option 3 in your reply) all wifi/lan devices connected to the router in attic and to the all lan devices connected to the NG router are working fine without interruption. however issue presents itself with the devices connected to the NG via wifi.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You have the router placed in the attic? Is the attic well ventilated and cooled? 

Attics are not recommneded places for electronic equipment. 1st level, main or 2nd level are recommended locations. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 4 of 5
sbatur
Aspirant

@FURRYe38

Modem router is in the electric cabinet on the ground floor, NG R8000 in the living room (also ground floor), 2nd router (also connected to the modem router via LAN and configured as an AP) is in the 2nd floor (AKA attic) which is a living area, with windows, lights and ventilation, etc. ).

Also channels are selected properly so that they don’t overlap between the APs.

And yes there are neighbors and they have WiFi routers.

In any case I am confident that the culprit is neither the setup nor the environment. I have two other back up routers from different manufactures and when I configure them exactly as the NG R8000 I don’t have any issues.

I’m very disappointed that I can’t get proper support from NETGEAR.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7