Nighthawk x6 R8000 limits wan to 10M

Veloh
Aspirant

Nighthawk x6 R8000 limits wan to 10M

I have a Nighthawk x6 R8000. My ISP connection test at 112 Mbps down, and 11 Mbps up when plugged straight into the modem. The modem is an Arris CM820A. My WiFi and wired speeds are 9.49 Mbps down and 9.48 Mbps up. The download speed is very steady. The upload speed has many spikes over 10 Mbps.

With the current firmware, I have 10M/Full for WAN and 1000M/Full LAN speeds. My WiFi is 600 Mbps for 2.4 and 1300 Mbps for 5.0. I have tried every firmware available, and this is the best read-out I get from "show statistics" option. My setup is wired witrh CAT6 or CAT5e (in one instance). I have played around with the advanced settings, but am unable to find anything that gets me anything higher than 10 Mbps for WAN. I tested the internet speed with each firmware just as a doubl-check, and never saw speeds better than 9.48 Mpbs for download. I did, once, see upload speeds of ~11 Mpbs.

Any help beyond getting a new router would be appreciated.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
Veloh
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk x6 R8000 limits wan to 10M

One additional fact -- I played with the MTU last night. Based on the information containe on this website, I determined that 1500 was the proper MTU. There was no change in speed. Just for the sake of experimenting, I changed the MTU to 1400, and found that the download speed decreased to 9.40.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Veloh wrote:

With the current firmware, I have 10M/Full for WAN

Is this what you meant to type?  If so, it completely explains your problem.  It should of course be 1000M/Full

Did you try a different ethernet cable between the Arris and the R8000?

Message 3 of 5
Veloh
Aspirant

Yes. I tried three different cat6 cables, in fact. No difference.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

If the router is reporting 10M status on the interport port with several different cables, then either the internet port of the router has failed or the internet port in the modem.  You've ruled out the modem with your direct test.

You could try a factory reset I guess, but I don't think it will change anything.

Is the router still under warranty?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E