Nighthawk x6 very slow 2.5ghz

Black00z28
Aspirant

Nighthawk x6 very slow 2.5ghz

Hello, I currently am having issues with my 2.5ghz WiFi speed on my nighthawk x6. I have spectrum 400mbs internet service and when using 2.5ghz I am barely getting above 30-50mbps. 5ghz is perfect and consistently gets 400-450 mbps. I noticed that one of the settings for 2.5ghz was set to 289mbps so I turned off the 20/40 coexistence to force it to 600mbps but it made no difference. And also tried turning off beam forming and it also did nothing. Just wondering what else I can do to get these speeds up on the 2.5ghz network I realize 2.5 is always going to be slower but it shouldn’t be THAT big a difference
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk x6 very slow 2.5ghz

@Black00z28 wrote:
Hello, I currently am having issues with my 2.5ghz WiFi speed on my nighthawk x6. I have spectrum 400mbs internet service and when using 2.5ghz I am barely getting above 30-50mbps. 5ghz is perfect and consistently gets 400-450 mbps. I noticed that one of the settings for 2.5ghz was set to 289mbps so I turned off the 20/40 coexistence to force it to 600mbps but it made no difference. And also tried turning off beam forming and it also did nothing. Just wondering what else I can do to get these speeds up on the 2.5ghz network I realize 2.5 is always going to be slower but it shouldn't be THAT big a difference

A couple of questions:

• Has it ever been higher?
  • What device is this or is it all 2.4Ghz devices (make and model of network adapter/device if only 1)?
  • How are you measuring this?
  • Is QoS on or off?
  • What Security are you using?
  • Where did you turn 20/40 coexistence?
  • What firmware are you running?
  • What Channel are you on?

I have no problems with SPEEDTEST.NET or the Spectrum Speed test getting full speed on all bands (I have 100/10Mbps service). That said, it can be device dependent. I now have iPad Pro's that they get FULL speed. However, prior to that I had iPad 2 and 3's. They got only around 30Mbps down. Reason, the antennea's on them, single vs. multiple on the Pro.

See my settings on the attached JPG.

Message 2 of 13
Black00z28
Aspirant

. On my links ac1900 I had,2.5ghz was always close to what my 5ghz was for example if 5ghz was getting 120mbps 2.5ghz was still getting around 90-100. It’s not even close on this router as stated

. This is affecting all devices

. I have tested through router login.net when connected to 2.5ghz network and also through ookla Speedtest both read the same

. I have not adjusted anything with qos

. Security being used is wpa-2

. Turned off coexistence under advanced setup/wireless settings to force speeds up to 600mbps, previously would only go up to 289mbps

. Router is currently on latest firmware

. Channel is set to auto
Message 3 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@Black00z28 wrote:
. On my links ac1900 I had,2.5ghz was always close to what my 5ghz was for example if 5ghz was getting 120mbps 2.5ghz was still getting around 90-100. It’s not even close on this router as stated

. This is affecting all devices

. I have tested through router login.net when connected to 2.5ghz network and also through ookla Speedtest both read the same

. I have not adjusted anything with qos

. Security being used is wpa-2

. Turned off coexistence under advanced setup/wireless settings to force speeds up to 600mbps, previously would only go up to 289mbps

. Router is currently on latest firmware

. Channel is set to auto

Did you look at my JPG I attached?

There is no Coexistence setting on my R8000? Are you really on V1.0.4.12? Hmm, wonder if it is because I've always been set to 600Mbps?

Autochannel and QoS could be a problem?

Enable QoS and do the speed test and update the database. Then DISABLE it, applying each step. Sometimes that will help.

Auto could be putting you on a busy channel. Get https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-f... and run it to see if there are congested channel, and then set one that isn't and re-test.

Message 4 of 13
Black00z28
Aspirant

On that same page in your .jpg bottom left that says “advance setup” you click that and it should say wireless settings and it will bring up the coexistence option. My router is up to date, checked it last night to make sure
Message 5 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@Black00z28 wrote:
On that same page in your .jpg bottom left that says “advance setup” you click that and it should say wireless settings and it will bring up the coexistence option. My router is up to date, checked it last night to make sure

Right, forgot about that settings. Mine is ON... and no problems...

Message 6 of 13
Black00z28
Aspirant

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Message 7 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@Black00z28 wrote:
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Well you could detail IF you did the QoS on/off trick? Put back coexistence which works for me with 600Mbps?

What is the device you are getting the slow speed on and its network adapter make and model?

Last thing to try, and it IS a pain, on the Advanced, Administration, Backup Settings tab, there is a clear NVRAM, do that and then MANUALLY reset all settings. It might work, might not....

Message 8 of 13
Black00z28
Aspirant

tried qos with no luck still 30-50 mbps.
Message 9 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please check this firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000058796/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-18

Message 10 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 11 of 13
Black00z28
Aspirant

Still same issue even with newest firmware up date and resetting to factory defaults.
Message 12 of 13
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Black00z28, 

I suggest to install a Wifi Analyzer to identify the local networks surrounding you and determine which channels are congested and which are lesser used. You will want to select the channel with the least amount of active networks.

Here's a reference of how to change wireless channel: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23783/

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements