Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk x6s AC3000 compare to Nighthawk x8 AC5000

gmsaylor
Follower

Nighthawk x6s AC3000 compare to Nighthawk x8 AC5000

I am trying to decide which of these two routers are superior technically.  They seem almost identical except the x6s says it has 6, external, high performance, amplified antennae, and the x8 says it has 4 active antenae.  What does that mean.

2 desktops with AC connections, one we use for streaming to the TV which also has a ROKU device connected to a USB port

3 smartphones 5 Ghz

3 tablets 5 Ghz

2  laptops 5 Ghz

and spikes to include, 

4 iphones

2 ipads

Speeds and feeds as follows but some of the tech talk leaves me wondering the x6s doesn't mention the DLNA server or the Dynamic QoS.  Has it been replaced with other tech or jargon and what does it really represent in value

Otherwise flash memory is 128, 512 RAM

x6s processor 1.8 Ghz

x8 processor 1.4Ghz

data rate of the x6s is supposed to peak at 1300MBps at 5Ghz

data rate of the x8 is supposed to peak at 2166MBps at 5 Ghz

Beam forming for both

x6s has link Agregate for faster file transfer

x8 has Ready Share Vault for automatic backup

All input appreciated.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

The x6s and the x8s are both good routers the x6s like you said will give you a faster network connection too a computer or nas device as long they can access both network cables to enable it unlike the x8s which uses a external hard drive to store information via a usb connection, the x6s would be a better choice if storage is important to you.

Dlna is for movie and video steaming then the x8s may fit better if that's what you are into.

Either would do in must cases all depends on what you want to do.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
William10a
Master

The x6s and the x8s are both good routers the x6s like you said will give you a faster network connection too a computer or nas device as long they can access both network cables to enable it unlike the x8s which uses a external hard drive to store information via a usb connection, the x6s would be a better choice if storage is important to you.

Dlna is for movie and video steaming then the x8s may fit better if that's what you are into.

Either would do in must cases all depends on what you want to do.

Message 2 of 3
mreg376
Guide

If I were you I'd take a look at the X4S/R7800.  Probably has the best range (in terms of distance AND reliability) of all the current Netgear routers, also about $200.  It's similar in hardware to the Synology RT2600ac, also en excellent option.  I've used both -- great range, stable.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7