Nighthawk x8 AC5300 - Fried in three days

Iquit
Aspirant

Nighthawk x8 AC5300 - Fried in three days

Nighthawk x8 AC5300  - Fried in three days  --    the title says it all.  Three days and poof dead as a door nail and hotter than hell I might add. I don't know enough to say if this junk presents a fire hazard, but it meets my  criteria.  I'm not looking for answers.  I have the answer - returning this junk for a full refund and finding a different brand.  

Message 1 of 11
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk x8 AC5300 - Fried in three days

If you look at Asus, be aware they are having firmware issues, including reboots, on their flagship gt-ac5300. My Asus rt-ac86u is not in the same class, but good thing is it just works with Merlin firmware. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 11
Iquit
Aspirant

Hi Myersw,

Thanks for the tip.  Funny thing I went back to microcenter and they talked me into another Nighthawk that also failed.  It would not even detect the internet.  SOOO, I went back AGAIN! This time they sold me an ASUS - before I got your message.   The very first thing  the ASUS did was to strongly suggest an immediate firmware upgrade - what do you know? I think your onto something!  I hope I'm safe now.   

Thanks again for your input

Message 3 of 11
myersw
Master

You did not indicate what Asus model you purchased. RMerlin makes an excellent firmware for the Asus.  Here is link to his section of smallnetbuilders.  Eric takes the Asus code does some fixes and adds a few features. He stays pretty close to Asus

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Do you live in SE Michigan? just wondering as there is a Microcenter near me that has gotten lots of my money over the years.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 11
Iquit
Aspirant

Myersw, 

Thanks for the link. This is a very helpful site.  I live Mass.  The Micro center I use is in Cambridge and serves the MIT crowd.  I'm a woodworker so I'm pretty much at their mercy when it comes to gear and advice.  

Message 5 of 11
myersw
Master

@Iquit wrote:

Myersw, 

Thanks for the link. This is a very helpful site.  I live Mass.  The Micro center I use is in Cambridge and serves the MIT crowd.  I'm a woodworker so I'm pretty much at their mercy when it comes to gear and advice.  

Up until my r8000 and r8000p experiences I would have directed you to Netgear as did your buddies. I spent 3 years flogging Linksys WRT's (1900ac v1, 1900acs v1, 3200acm) before giving up on them. Issue there was the crap drivers that were being provided to the 3rd party devs. That is when I came back to my safe place, Netgear. Not so save anymore. 

I was involved with electronics since teen. Worked 31 years at IBM on mainframes then as a technical systems engineer, not sales. Then worked in network group at a large US wide healthcare company iin their networking group. I am what you would call a woodworking cobbler. Can get some of the basics done and work on stage sets for a community theater. Lots of 2x4, 3/4 ply and 1/4 ply used. All held together by long screws. Thanks goodness for impact screwdrivers.  I also do some woodcarving. Caricature cowboys primarly. In case you are doing the age thing in your head, I will help out. The answer is 82. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 11
IrvSp
Master

There IS such a thing as 'infant mortality', the 'dying' of hardware within a short time of powering it on.

I'd exchange it for a new one at the place of purchase. Not many, if any, reports of failure here as soon as that on this forum.

Message 7 of 11
Iquit
Aspirant

Hi Myersw,

You may already be familiar with this, but computer electronics and wood working have finally blended.  There is a tablesaw called the Sawstop which prevents amputations.  An electronic signal is sent throught the saw blade which comunicaticates with a tiny computer of sorts.  When there is any electrical interference - as when the blades touches a conductive substance such grounded metal or, most importantly, a person, then  POW  an aluminum pawl is sprung which arrest the blades rotation in 5 milliseconds and the blade instanly retracts below the table.    It actually works and in fact has in many instance exceeded the expectations of the designers.   Great video of this   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafVvX5uaDs  (typing in - "sawstop hotdog demonstration" will bring up any number of videos of this as well)  I purchased a sawstop after my second table saw inccident - I was lucky, but it was time to take the luck out of it. 

Message 8 of 11
Iquit
Aspirant

Hi IrvSp,

Yeah, I've heard of the infant mortality thing, but I'm a bit unlucky when itcome to electronics 

I actually did take an exchange on it and the second one could not even detect the internet connection.    So I give up. 

Message 9 of 11
IrvSp
Master

I wonder if the cable went between the router and modem? The ASUS worked though? Different cable?

Message 10 of 11
myersw
Master

@Iquit wrote:

Hi Myersw,

You may already be familiar with this, but computer electronics and wood working have finally blended.  There is a tablesaw called the Sawstop which prevents amputations.  An electronic signal is sent throught the saw blade which comunicaticates with a tiny computer of sorts.  When there is any electrical interference - as when the blades touches a conductive substance such grounded metal or, most importantly, a person, then  POW  an aluminum pawl is sprung which arrest the blades rotation in 5 milliseconds and the blade instanly retracts below the table.    It actually works and in fact has in many instance exceeded the expectations of the designers.   Great video of this   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafVvX5uaDs  (typing in - "sawstop hotdog demonstration" will bring up any number of videos of this as well)  I purchased a sawstop after my second table saw inccident - I was lucky, but it was time to take the luck out of it. 

Yes I have heard of the Sawstop system. Infact I watched a demo at a WoodCraft shop where they used a hotdog. No marks on the dog when put in harms way and th saw stopped instantly. What a safety feature! Know a highschool shop teacher that would not take the position until their saws were replace by these. They wanted him so bad they replaced the saws. 

Son-in-law has a scar on back of hand from a chop saw. He was lucky in that it did not cut deep so no tendons etc were cut. He was doing, as we do, something stupid at the time. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements