Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nigthawk X8 / R8000 Connected Wifi, but no internet

susanna
Aspirant

Nigthawk X8 / R8000 Connected Wifi, but no internet

Hi -- I've had a little over two weeks the X6 router connected to a SB6183 and I've noticed that on the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, my devices show connected, but I can't access the internet. I have to turn off wifi and turn it back on and reconnect. Is this a known issue? My current firmware is V1.0.0.76_1.0.32 -- I previously had the WRT54GL and never had this issue. Thanks in advance.

Sue.

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi @susanna,

It seems like the router is still using an old firmware. You can try updating the firmware to the latest one. You may check the links below on how to update the firmware manually and automatically. Reset the router after updating the firmware.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R8000#searchResults

-Router Firmware Update using the NETGEAR Genie Software:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23856

-Installing the latest firmware on a NETGEAR router:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23442/related/1

-Upgrading your Router's Firmware Manually:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960/related/1

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 26

All Replies
TANWare
Star

This goes to how bad this software is, under the older forum format you wouldm have seen this is a constant issue with this device. Since they have not fixed it, nor does it seem they are going too, they sold this unit to you without full disclosure by not alowing you to investigate possible problems. If you can return it ASAP and get another unit but be sure to investigate it fully.

Message 2 of 26
susanna
Aspirant

Thanks Tanware -- I actually did read quite a few reviews about the X6 (sorry, I can't edit the subject and made a typo, it should be X6, not X8) but thought it wouldve been resolved by now, but it looks like it hasn't (CNET mentioned this, and so did a few of the commentors on there, as well as Amazon reviews -- I'm really finding it hard to believe any 4-5 star reviews on Amazon for this router.)

I bought this as a combo deal from NE, but I'll probably return this and keep the SB6183 and pay the full price of the cable modem. Not sure who else to go with, looks like all modern AC Wifi routers have issues, I may just go back to my WRT54GL, but it is slow 😞

Message 3 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi @susanna,

It seems like the router is still using an old firmware. You can try updating the firmware to the latest one. You may check the links below on how to update the firmware manually and automatically. Reset the router after updating the firmware.

-Router Firmware Update using the NETGEAR Genie Software:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23856

-Installing the latest firmware on a NETGEAR router:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23442/related/1

-Upgrading your Router's Firmware Manually:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960/related/1

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 26
Scotsmist
Guide

Sue did you manage to resolve the netgear R8000 not showing internet as I have exactly the same problem please see attached image.

It also says that no ethernet cable is plugged into the router internet port but this is wrong as it is connecrted and it works when I connect my other router a link-sys & also a tp-link.

It is reporting no internet but this is false reporting.

if you resolved yours it maybe something similar?

Thanks Hugh

Connection error 1.JPG

Message 5 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Scotsmist,

Welcome to Community!

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router? If not, you can check the support site for the lates firmwares.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 26
Scotsmist
Guide

I have the same router as yours the Nighthawk X6 (R8000) having the same issue (no internet!)

I managed to work out what was wrong with mine it was a faulty internet port on the back.

To see if this is the same for you all you have to do is push the ethernet cable (Usually the yellow one) into the internet port not much pressure just enough that if its loose that it reconnects.

if it is the same fault after 2 seconds the internet light will come on and stabalize that is until you take away that small amount of pressure where it again loses connection.

if it is not this try using other ethernet cables it can also be this in fact another forum member thought that it was my problem.

if you can try it on another pc/mac and see if you are having similar results.

I hope you resolve it and not have to spend a fortune on the customer support lines.

Hugh Hill

Message 7 of 26
Scotsmist
Guide

Thanks James but the fault was not the firmwase (I had the latest) it turned out to be a netgear manufacturing fault, this will be the second faulty unit!

Message 8 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Scotsmist,

Thank you for providing an update for  this issue. Since it is a hardware issue the resolution for replacement is the right recommendation.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 9 of 26
notredw
Aspirant

I have the same problem, same window shows no internet.  most wifi work but can no longer access vudu and my samsung extender use for the cells at home.  Can someone help me with this problem.  Dis you fix your problem?

Message 10 of 26
notredw
Aspirant

How do we fix the problem?

Message 11 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi notredw,

How many wireless devices are affected? and what are those devices(brand,OS version)?

Is it on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection issue?

What is the firmware version of the router?

Message 12 of 26
Gabeomatic
Aspirant

I am having a similiar problem. Regardless of the firmware, my netgear X6 has not been connecting to my Windows 8 performance PC. Ipad's, phones, and the tv all seem to work well but my wireless card is unable to connect to both bands on windows 8 at all. It cannot connect to the 2.4ghz band on win7 but does connect to the 5ghz though, so that is my only option to achieve a network connection on that pc.

I had a really old modem/router combo prior (2.4ghz/ N) and that one had no issues at all. What do you guys think the issue could be?

Message 13 of 26
Peacemaker
Aspirant

I came across this forum while searching the web for answers to the same "no internet" problem I've been experiencing for the past 3-4 months with my Netgear X6 / R8000. I've had the X6 since early '15 and am using the SB6183 as my modem. I started troubleshooting the problem by first rebooting the X6 numerous times and then doing two factory resets to see if that would solve the "no internet" problem. Neither approaches worked. I also confirmed that the router had the latest firmware. I then took the X6 out of the equation and used and old WNDR37AV for a month without any similar issues. I put the X6 back into the service on Monday of this week and the same "no internet" problem appeared again later that day. The problem lasts until I reboot the X6.

I will say that up until the problem started a few months ago it worked great. But since then, it has become an excercise in frustration, neverb knowing when the internet will not work or just drop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gary

Message 14 of 26
DHodge87
Aspirant

Peacemaker this is my exact situation, did you find a solution?
Message 15 of 26
Peacemaker
Aspirant

Not yet. Does Netgear monitor this forum? I'm hoping that they do and maybe can provide some solutions since this is happening with a number of units.
Message 16 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi Peacemaker,

1. Do you experience the issue on all wireless connection(2.4,5Ghz-1 and 5Ghz-2)?

2. Have you tried changing channel?

3. How about wired devices?

Message 17 of 26
patmaz13
Aspirant

Hi all,

I have the same kind of problem with my R8000. When an USB hard drive is connected to the USB 3 slot, it is impossible to access to 2.4GHz wifi !

No problem for 5GHz wifi or wired devices.

When I disconnect the USB hard drive and reboot the R8000, averything is ok ...

I've upgraded the firmware to V1.0.3.4_1.1.2, but nothing changes ...

Thanks for your help !

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi patmaz13,

Did you reset the router after the update? If not, try it and manually reconfigure the device. Try a different USB drive and also try the USB 2.0 if the same problem.

Message 19 of 26
JamesGL
Master

Hi patmaz13,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 20 of 26
Boxer3
Aspirant

Count me in as well. I have had this router in service for 2+ years without a hitch. Nothing fancy, just WiFi for a number of devices including smart TV's, tablets, game consoles, phones, laptops, etc.

Yesterday morning, no internet was available to connected devices. Absolutely nothing changed. It just quit.  The internet LED is flashing amber. I get internet access when I disconnect the yellow patch cable from the router and plug the yellow cable into a laptop, completing a direct connection from modem to computer. Clearly the cable is not bad, internet service from Comcast is fine. When the yellow cable is removed from the router, the internet LED goes dark.

My previous Cisco router has been pressed into service to keep the family connected. [And off my back for not fixing something I have no apparent control over.]

I have reset the router, updated the firmware, reconfigured the now factory settings using Genie. Its been powered down, power supply removed from wall plug and reinserted, compressed air blown into the inside.

Any help will be appreciated.

Message 21 of 26
Cyclops495
Aspirant

@Boxer3, I have the exact problem. With some difference.
I had been using a Comcast modem till now and just switched to using sb6183 today. And now the router does not connect to internet. I have updated the firmware and done enough power cycles.
Hopefully someone here can recommend a solution.
Message 22 of 26
TANWare
Star

I usually find under this I need to use the hard reset for the router. There is a pin hole in the back you need to use as per the manual.

Message 23 of 26
Cyclops495
Aspirant

@TANWare, tried that too. Didn't help.
Message 24 of 26
TANWare
Star

When you tried this and the default password etc. it would not connect? now this is before trying to set the settings or load the saved router profile?

Edit; be sure the reset brings the router to factory settings, if it does not the reset did not take.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7