Highlighted
Aspirant

Nigthhawk R6700 loses internet connection for Wifi devices

I am having an issue where the wireless devices on my network will all of a sudden lose their internet connection. Wired connections are still working but do have slower speeds. I have to power cycle the router to resolve the issue. This happens every week or so. I tried updating the firmware but that didn't make a difference. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Nigthhawk R6700 loses internet connection for Wifi devices

1. What firmware is on the router?

2. What modem are you connected to?

3. you put that wired devices still work but are slowed. What speeds are you paying for? What speeds do you normally get hardwired? What speeds do you get when the issue is happening? 

4. do the wireless devices "lose connection" or do they give you a notice of "internet not available"?

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

1. What firmware is on the router?  V1.0.1.48_10.0.46

2. What modem are you connected to?  Arris TM1602 (provided by ISP)

3. you put that wired devices still work but are slowed. What speeds are you paying for? What speeds do you normally get hardwired? What speeds do you get when the issue is happening? Currently paying for 200mb and normally get that or close to it. Does slow if son is gaming at the same time. Can see slower speeds after school hours and kids are online. ISP is cable and neighborhood was built 18-20 years ago. I have never checked the wired speed when someone tells me they can't connect, just recycle the router.

4. do the wireless devices "lose connection" or do they give you a notice of "internet not available"?  Most of the message is internet not available. Devices are still connected as they can see the router and it shows connected, just no internet available

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

If its still connected to wifi but the internet's not available and ethernet connections are slowed, it makes me suspect whatever is supplying the router. 

The Arris TM1602 isn't a bad modem but we don't know the status of the connection.

here's what I'd do.

1. log into the modem and take a screen snip of your modem's connections page and the logs. This shows us a snap shot of your connection back to your ISP as well as the corresponding logs. Potentially your signal might be borderline and something causes it to dip lower and cause your issues. 

2. Run some hardwired speed tests. try directly connecting to the modem and seeing what you get. Also try connecting to the router and seeing what you get. If you're modem isn't supplying the router speeds, it'll cause issues.

3. check your coax line. If you have any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators-remove them from the line. Also check for any damaged coax, bend lines, cheap/poor connections, corroded connections. 

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements