Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No IP address being assigned to device

akonieczka
Aspirant

No IP address being assigned to device

I am attempting to connect a new device to the router via wifi. The device is not functioning properly (no internet access). In the list of attached devices, it shows up but with no IP address assigned to it. What can cause this? The manufacturer of the device tells me that it uses DHCP so it should get assigned an IP. See attached.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
akonieczka
Aspirant

Re: No IP address being assigned to device

Turned out to be the security options after all. WPA2 does not work but WPA does. I had tried earlier removing security altogether but at that time was connecting via 5GHz which found out doesn't work. So the winning combo is 2.4GHz with WPA.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
myersw
Master

Would be helpful for trouble indentification if you would tell us what the device is? Yes if it supports dhcp it should get an address. 

Message 2 of 7
akonieczka
Aspirant

Basement Watchdog Connect Wi-Fi Module
Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Does the device show it has an IP Address?

Do you have ACCESS CONTROL on and stopping all new devices to connect?

Does the device show on a DEVICE MAP (not sure what you are using for the screen capture).

Could it be a 'channel' problem, the device needs a different one or different Security?

If you disconnect the device and try again, does it change?

Message 4 of 7
akonieczka
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

Does the device show it has an IP Address?

Device does not have a GUI so no way to tell.

Do you have ACCESS CONTROL on and stopping all new devices to connect?

Access Control is on and set to allow all new devices to connect.

Does the device show on a DEVICE MAP (not sure what you are using for the screen capture).

Yes. Screen capture comes from the router's GUI.

Could it be a 'channel' problem, the device needs a different one or different Security?

I tried changing but it did not fix the problem. I tried removing security entirerly as a test and that also did not fix the problem.

If you disconnect the device and try again, does it change?

No

Message 5 of 7
IrvSp
Master

I am at a loss?

If you turn off Access Control, does it work? Many routers suffer from problems with Access Control lists and Attached Device lists.

Other than turning it off, I guess 2 other suggestions might help here?

• Rollback the firmware and see if that helps.
  • Contact device manager to see how you can tell if the device has an IP Address...

Possible both of those will not help though?

Not totally reliable it seems, but with a Windows PC open a CMD prompt and enter 'arp -a' which will give a list of IP addresses on the LAN and MAC Address. Maybe you'll see an IP Address that isn't on the Access List? Also since DHCP IP Addresses are usually handed out sequentially you could try PINGing all addresses (however those that disconnect could leave 'holes' in the list)?

If on Windows, go here, https://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/, it is free and you can run the Portable version during Install. Works well. Might show the device.

One othe possibility. Network Name? Windows defaults to WORKGROUP. I've changed mine to something else occasionally some devices use that name too, and I have to remember to alter that otherwise my devices can't see it as we are basically on 2 different LAN's. Could the device have a default LAN name?

Message 6 of 7
akonieczka
Aspirant

Turned out to be the security options after all. WPA2 does not work but WPA does. I had tried earlier removing security altogether but at that time was connecting via 5GHz which found out doesn't work. So the winning combo is 2.4GHz with WPA.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7