Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No email connectivity after upgrading to V94 FW on R7500

bobcolby
Aspirant

No email connectivity after upgrading to V94 FW on R7500

Upgraded my Nightawk X4 R7500 WiFi Ruter to V1.0.0.94 FW, V1.0.0.231 GUI.  Did the factory reset as intructions indicated.  I could log in to router, reset my admin password, looked at connectivity, all of my devices coould connect to router (on 2.4).  I can open pages in all my browsers.  So far so good.

The problem is that I have NO email connectivity fter the upgrade.  I have POP accounts at Comcast on port 995 and an IMAP account at Gmail on port 993.  Can't reach any of them.  Also can't send mail.  The servers are fine, as my phone can access the accounts, read, send, etc.  But my laptop sees no mail, but thinks it's conecting to the servers (I get no error messages).  I'm posting this via WiFifrom my laptop.  But no email>

I did not have ny special rules in my old cnfiguration.  Do I need to add some to get mail to work again?  Port problems is the nly thing I can think of that would screw up in this manner (i.e. email down, everything else OK).  Definitely NOT what I expected from a fw upgrade.

Would appreciate any help, pointers, etc.

Thanks,

Bob

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
PEHowland
Apprentice

If other internet access is working (e.g. web browsing) through wifi then your router is fine.  Your router works at the packet level and doesn't care about the contents.  Email and web all look the same to the router.  The only exception is if you have set up some firewall rules that block specific ports: this could then impact email but not web.  However, unless you've specifically set this up, it won't be the case.  Therefore, if it's only email you have problems with, look to your ISP or email settings on your laptop.  It's not your router.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
bobcolby
Aspirant

One more thing to add: NETGEAR Genie does nt work.  Reloaded it to desktop, no difference.  Windows 10 says the program has stopped working.  Not sure if this has any connection to the email issue.  I can still see everything via routerlogin just fine.

Message 2 of 7
rpoffen
Virtuoso

The general consensus has been that running the Genie SW on a PC actually causes problems for the router. Better off just un-installing it.

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My Comcast POP ports

incomming 110    mail.comcast.net

outgoing 587       smtp.comcast.net

Comcast has made some changes for IMAP check their site

Message 4 of 7
PEHowland
Apprentice

If other internet access is working (e.g. web browsing) through wifi then your router is fine.  Your router works at the packet level and doesn't care about the contents.  Email and web all look the same to the router.  The only exception is if you have set up some firewall rules that block specific ports: this could then impact email but not web.  However, unless you've specifically set this up, it won't be the case.  Therefore, if it's only email you have problems with, look to your ISP or email settings on your laptop.  It's not your router.

Message 5 of 7
bobcolby
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip.  Investigating further on thi, the problem turned out to be the Avast mail shield not playing well with the router after the update.  It was blocking the mail connections.  Seeing the mail shield sucking up lots of CPU even though there was no mail was the smoking gun.  Turned off all Avast shields and mail started pouring in.  Rebooted router and avast, restored shields and all is well.  No server settings changed (as expected).  Thanks for the pointers.

Message 6 of 7
PEHowland
Apprentice

Great!  Glad it helped.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements