Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No internet access after installing firmware update 1.0.4.18

waynelloyd
Guide

No internet access after installing firmware update 1.0.4.18

Soon after installing firmware update 1.0.4.18 on my Nighthawk R8000 webpages failed to load from all connected clients 

My ISP tested my internet service and no issues where reported

Inbound connections to my home network where working ok and websites would load while connected to 3rd party vpn

On testing dns lookups where timing out

I was able to get it to work by disabling parental controls with opendns

Look ups worked ok with parental controls and circle enabled

The issue appears to be with parental controls and opendns, websites worked ok for a short time after restarting the router but the issue would soon happen again

I have checked the opendns status for service issues and can access the opendns parental control dashboard so i'm not sure what the problem is.

My router is currently configured to use cloudflare dns resolvers and everything is working well

Is anyone else experiencing any problems?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 51

Accepted Solutions
waynelloyd
Guide

I installed the latest firmware update V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 and enabled standard parental controls and so far so good internet is working fine

The update did fail to install a few times over wifi but I got it to sucessfully install after I turned off my nighthawk wifi extender EX7300

I updated from V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 to V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 and noticed I had to enable the smart connect feature again after the update got installed

Other issues are reported on this thread that I didn't experience

I opened this discussion for internet access issues with V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 and after I installed the latest firmware V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 my internet access issues (with standard parental contols enabled) seem to be fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 47 of 51

All Replies
Protocol-X
Tutor

I am also having the same issue, I installed the new firmware and now I cannot connect to the internet or the router page. For a brief few minutes I was able to get to the internet after another reboot, but as soon as I tried the router page internet was down again. I have not been able to get it working again since.
Message 2 of 51
waynelloyd
Guide

Can you confirm if you have parental controls with opendns enabled?

Message 3 of 51
ghentj
Star

I also had major connection problems with .18 and I use the parental controls.  Everything is fine after I went back to .12.

Message 4 of 51
Protocol-X
Tutor

I don't use parental controls. Eventually I was able to get back into the router page. It looks like they have some new tos you need to accept before anything can use the internet after the update.
Message 5 of 51
ghentj
Star

@Protocol-X wrote:
I don't use parental controls. Eventually I was able to get back into the router page. It looks like they have some new tos you need to accept before anything can use the internet after the update.

Just to confirm, your internet was shutting off after a while on .18, but after you accepted the TOS, it works fine now?  Also, where were you able to accept/view the new TOS?

Also, do we need to factory reset after upgrading the router?  I did not do that, so not sure if that's why I might be having an issue.  I have a lot of static IP devices that I need to keep, so didn't want to factory reset if I don't have to.

Message 6 of 51
Protocol-X
Tutor

After the update and reboot I was no longer able to access the router via ip.

Through the genie application I was not able to login.

After a reboot internet would work for ~ 60 seconds but then all traffic throughout would stop.

After about an hour after the last reboot, I had the same issues with the exception I was finally able to access the router IP. Once I connected there was a new tos which required acceptance as well as an option to deselect automatic data collection. Once accepted everything began working fine again.

The only issue I notice now is when connecting to the genie app it takes significantly longer to load the channel information such as password ect, the network map, and the tests have a longer delay to access.

I was not willing to do a factory reset for similar reasons.
Message 7 of 51
ghentj
Star

I think i must have accepted after i first updated it - i was able to get to the router page without an issue, and my internet would last about 1-2 hours before it stopped working.  On  another thread, someone mentioned it could be related to parental controls (which i use) and the DNS functionality.  It's hard to check your other posts after I started making the reply, but are you using parental services?

Message 8 of 51
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi waynelloyd, 

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 51
waynelloyd
Guide

My R8000 is working again

Posting the steps I used to get it working although I think switching the primary and secondry dns servers under internet settings with standard parental controls enabled would have also fixed this with less hassle

I flashed the router with dd-wrt kong mod had the same issue accessing websites with opendns resolvers configured, I fixed this by swapping primary and secondary dns servers, everything worked ok for a couple of days so I decided to flash the router back to netgear stock firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 I had no further issues with dns lookups and accessing internet sites

The current DNS settings with Standard parental controls enabled (default with no changes/swapping)

Primary 208.67.222.222

Secondary 208.67.220.220

The fix in dd-wrt was switching these to make the secondary the new primary 

Message 10 of 51
Protocol-X
Tutor

Actually it was not fixed, while that did fix the issue at the time, I'm having non stop issues with internet going out, connected devices getting lost, inability to even access the router page or app. This firmware is trash, I don't think it was ever actually tested, as there is no way a company would have let this pass.
Message 11 of 51
IrvSp
Master

@Protocol-X wrote:

This firmware is trash, I don't think it was ever actually tested, as there is no way a company would have let this pass.

I'm pretty sure it was tested. 'We' can argue how completely though.

I'm also sure it works for a large percentage of people, and I'm one of them.

Sorry to say, from years of experience, testing is harder the more complex the item under test can be. Sure, you can think of a router just taking in TCP/IP packets and routing them to the correct place as well as providing Wifi access. However there are a myriad of options one can set. Every option you add/change you double the testing required to test ALL combinations of options. That number CAN be staggering. For instance maybe Wifi works fine alone without security. Now consider how many tests you need to test every possible combination of the 2.4 SSSID, 5Ghz and 5Ghz 2 SSID's with all of the 4 different Security settings (and have h/w to do that?). Got that number? Large isn't it (no I didn't calculate it)? Now complicate it more with the possible Channels on each in all combinations.... oh, and don't forget the combinations of all those with the 6 different possible speed combinations. Those test scenarios can be HUGE. Let us say some scenarios were never tested as they felt they had sufficient coverage, like say Beam Forming, and just threw that on in a few tests. Could it be possible that you would use it in an untested mode?

Not trying to make excuses, but there are many ways to use a router defined by the combination of settings. However, in this case, I'd say the testing was not as through as it could have been.

Some problems can be caused by sloppy programming too. Think some part was not touched and don't test it, but in fact you did make a change that could cause a problem in untouched code... been there, have the t-shirt.

Message 12 of 51
waynelloyd
Guide

My internet stopped working again after a few days of running

Disabling Standard parental controls has got it working again for now

wayne@Waynes-MacBook-Pro:~$ dig google.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> google.co.uk
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Message 13 of 51
robey64
Initiate

No internet after installing the 18 update. 

Tried a hard reset and re install. Still loose internet.  Rebooting the router will make it for for a few minutes.  

back to the last firmware version and everything is good.  

I do have standard parental controls turned on.  

Cleary the firmware has issues. 

Message 14 of 51
SK2
Guide
Guide

Yes, same exact issue.  Thank you so much for posting!  

Message 15 of 51
SK2
Guide
Guide

Do we have a resolution that can be shared?  I turned off my parental controls and I'm still having issues.  Are we just rolling back to the previous version of firmware?

Message 16 of 51
ghentj
Star

After I re-installed 4.18, i did a factory reset, and re-entered all my configuration manually (not using the saved config).  Parental controls are off, using opendns still.  I've had no conectivity problems, even turned on smart connect, and things have been very stable (7 days since last reboot).  my 2.4 and 5.0 ssid names are different.  Wired internet is also good.

I am having problems with usb shared names changing back to what they defaulted to though.  not sure what triggers the change back.

Message 17 of 51
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@ghent
---Parental controls are off, using opendns still --- This is confusing. Do you mean you are still activating OpenDNS parental control service on the router?
Message 18 of 51
ghentj
Star

@TerryPh wrote:
@ghent
---Parental controls are off, using opendns still --- This is confusing. Do you mean you are still activating OpenDNS parental control service on the router?

No,  so under the parental control section, it is turned off.  Under the Domain Name Server (DNS) Address section, I am using Primary, 208.67.222.222 and secondary 208.67.220.220, which are the OpenDNS  servers - see the netgear section on this link: https://use.opendns.com/ 

This uses their DNS servers, but it does not enable parental control if it is turned off in the parental control section.  With the parental controls turned off, it's been working as far as I can tell.  With the parental controls on (which also uses the OpenDNS servers along with your account login info), it would do what everyone else seems to be experiencing with the internet no longer working

The reason I want to use OpenDNS even without the parental controls is that I don't want to use my ISP's DNS Servers.

Hope this helps. 

Message 19 of 51
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Thanks for clarification on using NG openDNS.
The router should be stable, provided that you don't have USB drive(s) attached + DLNA on. Under this condition, my router crashed after a few days.
I'm running my router under minimum stress condition, and it has been stable past 3 days, to be exact. Hope it stays stable past one-week mark...
Best,
Message 20 of 51
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh wrote:
Thanks for clarification on using NG openDNS.
The router should be stable, provided that you don't have USB drive(s) attached + DLNA on. Under this condition, my router crashed after a few days.
I'm running my router under minimum stress condition, and it has been stable past 3 days, to be exact. Hope it stays stable past one-week mark...
Best,

Hmm, I'm quite stable... System Up Time 14 days 21:32:21, and that is from the Show Statistics on the Advanced tab. That is because of the Reboot I did for the VPN malware to be safe.

I do have a 2.0 USB drive attached and runing and using DLNA.

I'm not sure how one can measure 'stress' but basically it isn't used from much more that 'normal' internet connection on 2 PC's, 2 iPad's, a FireTV stick, a Smart TV, and an Amazon Echo. Many times 4 of these can be 'active' at the same time as the DLNA serving up video's or Interent streaming  of TV or music.

Are you sure the USB drive and/or DLNA is causing you problems?

Message 21 of 51
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Hi @IrvSp
Yes, we have been discussing this problem way back and I noticed that you have swapped out with a new USB2.0 drive and do not have any problem with DLNA on.
I have always been running with two USB drives attached to USB2.0 and USB3 ports. After following your earlier posts, I did do the testing of those 2 drives and definitely found nothing wrong with them.
My postulation regarding stress test is that DLNA alone would work fine with one USB drive, but if coupling with, for example, parental controls and/or another drives would saturate the memory faster up to a point that render the router inoperative...
This is from a hardware standpoint and I had few discussions with NG PM, and he acknowledged it in a way...
As in my previous posts elsewhere, I have my intention to communicate again with NG team, and I will bring it up all sumerized problems, including the issue of SMB1 support that you mentioned earlier in your post.
Best Regards
Terry

Message 22 of 51
IrvSp
Master

Hey @TerryPh, I guess it was the 'stress' that made me answer? Harder to 'stress' an R8000 than an R7000 I'd imagine with the off-load processors and faster CPU?

There has to be some connection to certain conditions or settings that can mess things up? I forever have never understood why there are so many entries of attacks in the logs? Google them and there is a very large percentage of reports on NG h/w vs. other brands. I attribute that to NG not thinking much of 'fixing' or improving the logging function... or it is a false positive as TCP/IP packets get drop by the CPU because it was 'busy', packets either going in or out, and then seeing a packet it didn't expect and calling it an attack.

I don't have a spare USB 3.0 drive to try, they are all in use on PC's. I do have a 32GB Flash drive 3.0... wonder if I added that to the router I'd replicate your problems, but maybe not unless I try to access it as well or put some video/music files on it?

Message 23 of 51
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, OK, I've attached the 3.0 USB flash drive, see JPG on right.

That should be good enough to see if I'll have problems, especially since it is not powered so it will take some amperage to work?

Have no problem seeing it with NET VIEW (and SMB1 enabled):

=============

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare
readyshare
Share name       Type  Used as  Comment
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies           Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
S_Drive          Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_2.0_Storage  Disk           read:xxxx;write:xxxxxx
The command completed successfully.

=====

It is my W10 Media Install Disk:

=============

C:\>dir \\readyshare\s_drive
 Volume in drive \\readyshare\s_drive is S_Drive
 Volume Serial Number is 5464-8354

Directory of \\readyshare\s_drive
The parameter is incorrect.
      <DIR>          .
01/01/2015  01:00 AM    <DIR>          ..
09/29/2017  05:59 AM               128 autorun.inf
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          boot
09/29/2017  11:08 AM           397,752 bootmgr
09/29/2017  11:08 AM         1,236,376 bootmgr.efi
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          efi
03/17/2018  09:15 AM    <DIR>          netgear_downloader
09/29/2017  11:08 AM            80,696 setup.exe
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          sources
01/11/2018  09:03 AM    <DIR>          support
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          System Volume Information
               4 File(s)      1,714,952 bytes
               8 Dir(s)  27,807,318,016 bytes free

========

As you can see, the router added the NETGEAR_DOWNLOADER the last time I had it attached.

I just copied a .MOV file to it (slow, 30Mbps??? to a 3.0 drive ???):

C:\>dir \\readyshare\s_drive\*.mov
07/16/2017  02:38 PM       339,699,496 MVI_4394.MOV
               1 File(s)    339,699,496 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  27,467,612,160 bytes free

===================

That surely made the dlna catalog be updated.

We'll see if I now get some problems?

Did you notice the 'ERROR' above about the single '.' directory. When I ran the command again, it was fine???? no error???

===========

The parameter is incorrect.
      <DIR>          .

===========

See, no error:

------------

C:\>dir \\readyshare\s_drive\
06/09/2018  03:00 PM    <DIR>          .
01/01/2015  01:00 AM    <DIR>          ..
09/29/2017  05:59 AM               128 autorun.inf
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          boot
09/29/2017  11:08 AM           397,752 bootmgr
09/29/2017  11:08 AM         1,236,376 bootmgr.efi
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          efi
07/16/2017  02:38 PM       339,699,496 MVI_4394.MOV
03/17/2018  09:15 AM    <DIR>          netgear_downloader
09/29/2017  11:08 AM            80,696 setup.exe
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          sources
01/11/2018  09:03 AM    <DIR>          support
01/11/2018  09:01 AM    <DIR>          System Volume Information
               5 File(s)    341,414,448 bytes
               8 Dir(s)  27,467,612,160 bytes free

=======

Wonder if it had anything to do with writing the MOV file there and it had to update the directory?

Message 24 of 51
SK2
Guide
Guide

After a full factory reset mine worked for about 12 hours, then all the same problems came back and all my devices started showing connected with no internet again.  This is rediculous. 

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7