• 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

No internet after firmware update

After updating firmware no internet access. Tried rebooting router and modem about dozen times, replacing ethernet cable, resetting it and still no internet access. After three days doing it finally called support and the guy sounds like Filipino from PI. He ask me for my IP address of my desktop computer and router. After doing five things he told me to do my internet works YEAH!! so at the end he ask if I want to buy service from Netgear $80 6months or $110 for 1 yr of customer support since "NETGEAR ONLY PROVIDE 90 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE" just in case it happened again. I opt it out cuz don't needed. Since I reset my router it went back to factory setting so I was resetting other devices and after an hour of working internet and wifi suddenly its not working again . Tried to do what he told me earlier and now I can't login to my Netgear sign on says block. Tried to reboot modem and router and NO INTERNET ACCESS. I think this company or customer support created this update that will end up no access to internet so you'll buy their service. I choose not to purchase their services so they block my internet. Now I dont think I'll buy Netgear again. I'll pass this on to my friends.
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: No internet after firmware update

Yep, I have the exact same problem and it is so pathetic how Netgear do absolutely zero about it! Since the latest firmware update my router just suddenly drops the internet connection. The light suggest a connection but there is no data....it requires a reboot! 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to revert the firmware back a version to see if it is still having the same issue this will tell us for sure if there might be a issue with the firmware.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

@DarrenM I have tried to use an old version and I have tried the latest release but the issue exists. I have reverted to just my Virgin Media Super Hub and I have no issues at all. Currently I am rebooting the Netgear every 30 minutes and tonight it needed a reboot every 10 minutes.

So frustrating when you consider how much it cost and the fact it is not even a year old!

Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same problem I have to reboot router to get Internet connection back. Sometimes every hour sometimes it’s good for days. I believe problem also existed prior to firmware version 1.4.1.24 upgrade on 8/11/18
Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This thread is a mess. 

One of you has a R7900, One R7900P and one R7000.

This makes it nearly impossible for us to try and help.  "Me too" doesn't work when your hardware. software, and environment differs from the individual who started the thread.

We understand you are frustrated, but each of you needs to have his/her own thread so that the rest of us who want to help aren't flip flopping between router models, firmware, modems and connection types.

So please help us help you.  Start your own thread.  Please include your router model, the firmware you are running, the type of internet connection, and any troubleshooting steps you have tried whether successful or not.

Please include errors messages, what are they, where do you see them?  Have you tried and successfully reset your device?  This restores basic access. 

@Robi0

If you are seeing a "blocked message" in your web browser (black page with red/orange banner), this means "Access Control" is enabled and does not have the device you are attempting to access the router from in its configuration.  Netgear doesn't do this to you.  The good news, its recoverable.  If you don't have a device on this list and cannot log in, you must reset the device to regain control.  Use the reset button on the back of the device.  You will need a toothpick or paperclip.  Step back, take a deep breath and we can start over.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.50 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.78

Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry, I selected the wrong device. Mine is a R7900P/X6S. Firmware Ver. 1.4.1.24. Problem is Internet connection drops frequently even though router shows with the lights it’s connected. Requires power off reset to reconnect to the ISP provider. Does that make the posting and complaint acceptable?
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

And I’ll add to that, if you look through all of the other postings here in the community, you’ll see that many of these devices (many purchased from Costco) are suffering from the same problem: Bad firmware and responsiveness from Netgear. I will be returning the two that I have and looking for a different vendor.
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

@KD3VK We may have different models but we have the exact same fault It is driving me insane!
Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

After updating firmware there is no wifi settings available. The wifi light does not come on. I can not connect to the router at all. The power light is a solid red. That is the only light on. I have tried to factory reset several times and nothing changes. Is there a fix out there somewhere or is my router now a paper weight?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Last thing you could try is to recover the system with TFTP if that does not work you will need to contact support if the router is under warranty.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

DarrenM

Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Initiate

Seems like I'm not the only one having this issue.

Had absolutely no problem until I updated to V1.0.9.60_10.2.60 . R7000

Now wireless internet connection is VERY unstable. Even though it's connected to router, I can't login to 192.168.1.1 , never mind the internet either.

I have to manually reboot the router and it works for at most 24 hours.. 

This is horrible! Would resetting the router to factory default help?

Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Initiate

Kudos to NG for having all previous FW on site. I downgraded to 44 and it seems to be much better.

Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

where is version 44? The version I see before the current is listed as 

Firmware Version 1.0.9.42. I have the R7000 router.

Eric

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

I had the same problem twice. The first time I just brought a new router, R8500 Knighthawk and exactly 2 years an 2 months after I brought the 2nd router the same thing happens internet out after a firmware upgrade, and all support did was try to get me to buy there support packages.
If the firmware upgrade cause the issue shouldn’t netgear fix or replace the issue they caused. Never netgear again. 9 July 2019
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

I will try but access to the device is sporadic.
Thanks
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 16 of 16