Re: No internet connection on 2.4 GHZ

JediSnapShot
Aspirant

No internet connection on 2.4 GHZ

I have a Nighthawk R7900 and for awhile now I can connect to the 2.4ghz but my cell will say there is no internet connection. Same with other devices I have that use WiFi connection but in some case it cannot find the band at all. The two 5ghz that are enabled work fine. Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Keep in mind that I am some what tech savy but not an expert.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. Configure the 2.4Ghz SSID for something simple. Set WPA on this frequency to disable temporarily. Now see if any of your devices sees the 2.4Ghz SSID name, can connect then check for internet access. If it happens that you do get internet access, re-enable WPA2 and AES only and then have your devices reconnect and check for internet access. 

@JediSnapShot wrote:

I have a Nighthawk R7900 and for awhile now I can connect to the 2.4ghz but my cell will say there is no internet connection. Same with other devices I have that use WiFi connection but in some case it cannot find the band at all. The two 5ghz that are enabled work fine. Does anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Keep in mind that I am some what tech savy but not an expert.

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RAXE50 and R8500(v.158) Router Mode | Switches NG GS105/8 | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 2 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Simple answer here could be 'interference'.

So, do you have another router running, maybe your modem is a modem/router and putting out a signal? Other SSID's on the same channel as you are?

Have you used a NETWORK ANALYSER to view SSID's available and POWER (dBm output)? For Windows, Acrylic Home works well (Google for it and othe Network Analyser's) and many are available for Mobile devices.

With those applications you can tell what channels are being used, and if there are many on the same channel you are, you can determine what to change your channel to for the strongest signal?

A sample of Acrylic is on the left side screen capture. As you can see the power is listed, and my power is better than others on the same channels as I am. If you see equally strong ones on your channels, time to switch. Other Network Analyser's will show graphs differently as does the tabs on Acrylic as well (over laid with the strongest on top), 

Message 3 of 9
Jacknwater
Tutor

Did you solve this?
I have the same issue now.
Message 4 of 9
JediSnapShot
Aspirant

Kind of. I removed the password and that seemed to work and i put it off for awhile. I re-added the password and it stopped. Im looking back into the issue to hopefully make it secure again.

Message 5 of 9
JediSnapShot
Aspirant

Ok, @IrvSp I am not sure what I am looking at (see attached). I downloaded Acrylic and this is the data it provided. I do have an Arris Surfboard that is a modem/router but as far as i know it is disabled but it looks like it is showing up here as hidden. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Message 6 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@JediSnapShot wrote:

Ok, @IrvSp I am not sure what I am looking at (see attached). I downloaded Acrylic and this is the data it provided. I do have an Arris Surfboard that is a modem/router but as far as i know it is disabled but it looks like it is showing up here as hidden. Can you shed any light on this for me?

Well, you did obscure some info that might be useful? The SSID's. The first two I assume are your router? The HP one, must be a neighbor or possibly your printer? All 3 are quite odd to me. Go back and look at my screen capture for comparison. Note the CHANNEL column. Channel 11 is a 2.4Ghz channel. The last one, the Arris, well, it is very weak, so it shouldn't be a problem.

So, there are few things this is telling me.

1. The device/PC you used for Acrylic is a 2.4Ghz ONLY device. It can't see the 5Ghz SSID's.
  2. Channel 11 is what ALL 4 SSID's are on.
  3. The first 3 overlap and can/will cause interference for you.

So, the first think to do is MOVE the Channel the 2.4Ghz is on. You do this on the WIRELESS page of the GUI. I'd suggest Channel 5 or 6.

The real question to me is what are those all that are the same power (around -40)? Especially the first 2? Are these all your SSID's? Do you have 2 routers working at the same time?

Message 7 of 9
JediSnapShot
Aspirant

@IrvSp I believe the first one is my Guest access and the second is my main 2.4. The HP is my printer and the Arris is a my modem/Router that I have disabled the wireless access point on.

Im not sure why my computer only accessed the 2.4 and neither of my 5. Maybe it was the WiFi dongle i was using. I usually have my PC connected via ethernet.

I will try and switch the channels for each and see if that works.

Message 8 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@JediSnapShot wrote:

@IrvSp I believe the first one is my Guest access and the second is my main 2.4. The HP is my printer and the Arris is a my modem/Router that I have disabled the wireless access point on.

Im not sure why my computer only accessed the 2.4 and neither of my 5. Maybe it was the WiFi dongle i was using. I usually have my PC connected via ethernet.

I will try and switch the channels for each and see if that works.

Well, you have everything on Channel 11, and that WILL cause interference. Change each one to a different channel, and I doubt you might need the HP Printer to send out a wireless signal, disable that, or if you want to use it, change the channel. I'd suggest 5, 7, and 9.

The Arris, is a different problem. It is sending out a WIRELESS signal, and you don't want that. If it is your modem/router, open the settings and turn off wireless. Otherwise call your ISP and ask them to BRIDGE the modem for you.

If a DEVICE is DUAL BAND, then it can see both, as you saw in my screenshot. Your device is NOT DUAL BAND, hence it will only see and also connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E