Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No internet via 5G

Jeff_Clarke
Aspirant

No internet via 5G

Searched around and my issue seems to be very similar to others reported.

I have had this router config for at least two years now with no issues.

Yesterday, all of the sudden my 5G wireless band showed No Internet. I rebooted, updated firmware, turned the 5G on and off and rebooted each time all for nothing.

I have a second 5G SSID and it works fine, its just the one I use as my primary and have setup on most devices.

Anyone else with this issue????????

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the router by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Power OFF the router fully for 1 minute then back ON. Walk thru the setup wizard. Check the 5Ghz radio...

Message 2 of 6
Jeff_Clarke
Aspirant

Ok but as an old IT guy with 43+ years in the business I would like to know what caused this and how to prevent?

Is it just bad firmware or what?  This should not happen.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Can be anything. FW, HW, Wifi Interferences...

Sometimes can't be provented...just avoided or reset and start from scratch. 

Things change over time in regards to IT. Nature of the beast. 

Message 4 of 6
Jeff_Clarke
Aspirant

I did factory reset even though I should not have to do that.....  still have same issue

Seems one of the radios but have died..... used same SSID on second one and it works fine.

Yes there are and have been a lot of changes in IT....some good, some bad. The development of cheap hardware/software is not always what it is cracked up to be because to make it cheap they cut corners.

If a vendor was in my office and said that to me I would toss him out and never buy from him ever again.

Oh well....onto the next issue for me.

Done with this one.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you pull the power adapter from the wall outlet for 1 minute then back in? 

Possible just failure of HW as well. Nothing is ment to last. You should know this. The router has been around for 6 years now. 

One thing that can kill HW is heat. Why I keep a laptop cooler under my routers 24/7. Helps extend the life in this regard. 

Maybe resets haven't been a part if your IT career however it's a valid and integral part of home networking systems and a valid troubleshoting test. Been like this for years. Makes me wonder how many devices were thrown out neeedlessly before a reset was done. Oh well. 

One thing you can do if you still want to keep the router for the router portion, turn OFF the wifi radios on the router and connect up any newer WiFi router in AP mode or WiFi AP. Then use this as the new wifi while the router portion keeps working. Or find something new. 

Good luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7