Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No new updates

tkwilli
Tutor

Re: No new updates

Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense and I should have picked up on it earlier, with just an aging brain and body as my excuse. Since security of the Netgear’s router in AP mode is still important because it controls security of local WiFi access, while the Verizon router provides both WiFi and Internet security for the functions it controls, it may be of benefit to put a message out to use the manual firmware update procedure when operating as an AP. That would have saved me some time, and it is clear from this thread that a lot of people were unsure why the check procedure didn’t work. I suspect that those who initially set up theirs routers for automatic updates and gone through an ISP upgrade such as I did may be unaware of security exposure in not receiving the automatic updates. The tricky part for me was it appeared that the check procedure was going to the Neargear server to check where it responded no newer firmware available. If that routine first checked the routers status as in AP mode, a response could be programmed like “your router has been detected in AP mode, please download the firmware update corresponding to your model at netgear.com/linklocation, and follow the manual update procedure”.
Message 26 of 27
antinode
Guru

Re: No new updates

> [...] The tricky part for me was it appeared that the check procedure
> was going to the Neargear server to check where it responded no newer
> firmware available. [...]

It would be interesting to see what "Check for new version" does in
normal-router mode when there's no Internet connection.  Does it
complain that it can't check, or does it report "no newer firmware
available"?  If the latter, then getting that result in AP mode wouldn't
be a mystery.  More Netgear firmware de luxe?

Message 27 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7