× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No roaming between two EX8000

OSW75
Aspirant

No roaming between two EX8000

Config description:

I have a network consisting of an Orange LiveBox Router and a wifi network supported by 2x EX8000 Mesh Extenders and a single SSID: one is the access point and the other one the extender, the LiveBox not using wifi but connected with an RJ45 to the EX8000 access point.

All devices are running the latest firmware and have excellent signal strength. And, both EX8000 had a hard reset.

• Smart connect Enabled
  • Mimo Enabled
  • One WiFi Name Enabled
  • Both having static IP

The EX8000 Access point:

• 2,4Ghz on channel 1
  • 5Ghz on channel 44
  • 5Ghz on channel 100 DFS

The EX8000 Extender:

• 2,4Ghz on channel 1
  • 5Ghz on channel 104 DFS

Problem:

Each of my device is working fine when you are connected but, if I roam from room to room, all evinces does not switch automatically to the nearest extender, it tries loses the internet and I have to turn the wifi on and off to get connected. I have tried changing channel, resetting but no improvement.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

I am trying to solve this issue for weeks ... PliZzz Help !!!

Regards,

osw

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 6
OSW75
Aspirant

Re: No roaming between two EX8000

Sorry for the mistake, but the EX8000 extender using the channel 100 + 104(p) + 108 + 112.

Cheers,

Osw 

Message 2 of 6

The EX8000 isn't a Mesh extender. (Netgear has implemented this on some extenders.)  So handovers won't be as smooth.

Mesh fills the place with a single networkall on the same SSID.

When these handover issue happen it can be down to the wifi clients as much as the router. The client has to negotiate a new connection on its own, with a different SSID and password, with not much help from the wifi sources.

Using the same SSID for two different sources could actually cause more problems than benefits. Have you tried different SSIDs? (The password can be the same, mine is.)

This might be useful reading:

WiFi Range Extender Best Setup Guide | Router Guide

Have you tried tweaking the wifi clients rather than the extender?

Message 3 of 6
OSW75
Aspirant

Thanks Michael,

I bought specially this extender because the "Seamless roaming". But I understand that it is not seamless at all ... and what I'll do, it will not be a clean handover. Correct ?

What do you mean by tweaking the IP on the client ?

Cheers,

Oswald

Message 4 of 6

@OSW75 wrote:

I bought specially this extender because the "Seamless roaming".

That was a reference to the link between the router and an extender. Not two extenders. I just check the datasheet. That is, of course, a marketing tool.

The manual is silent on the subject of "seamless connectivity".

Your first message referred to "2x EX8000 Mesh Extenders". Where did you the MESH bit come from? Did Netgear add that in later firmware?

@OSW75 wrote:

What do you mean by tweaking the IP on the client ?

That's not what I said. Just look at the settings on the wifi clients and see if there is anything you can change to make a difference.

Message 5 of 6
OSW75
Aspirant

Thanks Michael,

I bought two extenders EX8000 because of the smart roaming function.

Smart Roaming

Smart Roaming intelligently connects your mobile devices to the optimal WiFi for 4K streaming, surfing and more. Now you can enjoy uninterrupted streaming on YouTube or Netflix, even as you move around the house.

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/ex8000/

I never been desapointed of Netgear products ... I assume it's a problem of configuration.

Can you please help ?

In the time, I'll investigate the IP parameter on the devices.

Best regards,

Oswald

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7