Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

None of my kindles will connect to Nighthawk router

dgreen97
Guide

None of my kindles will connect to Nighthawk router

I have the RAX50S AX5400 nighthawk and I can't get either of my kindles to connect to this thing. I've tried a number of different options with the kindle and changed the security mode on the nighthawk back and forth but no matter what I do it won't connect to the kindle oasis or standard kindle. The only way I can sometimes get it to connect is using the WPS button but most of the time that doesn't work either. How do I fix this?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: None of my kindles will connect to Nighthawk router

Have you tried logging into it and disabling wireless AX? 

Some wireless device manufacturers (like intel) had issues when AX first came out. 

I'd also check to see if the kindles need updating. maybe their firmware is behind

Message 2 of 11
dgreen97
Guide

AX isn't turned on and the kindle is up to date. I'm thinking it has to be something with security but thats just a guess.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have? 

Are the kindles unable to connect entirely or do they connect and say "connected, no internet'

Message 4 of 11
dgreen97
Guide

I have a Ubee modem and the kindles give this error message when connecting:

"Your Kindle is unable to connect to the Wifi network "My network name". Press setup to enter your password again or manually set up your network."

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Which ubee modem?

Does your ssid/password have any special characters or spaces in it? 

I'd remove them if it does. 

Message 6 of 11
dgreen97
Guide

Password doesn't have special chars, just numbers and letters. It's a DVW32CB Ubee modem.

Message 7 of 11

@dgreen97 wrote:

Password doesn't have special chars, just numbers and letters. It's a DVW32CB Ubee modem.

That looks suspiciously like a modem/router (gateway).

DVW32CB – Ubee Interactive

So you have two routers. That why @plemans asked about it.

Some people think that they can just turn off the wifi on their modem router. Sadly, that does not disable the router bit.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 8 of 11
dgreen97
Guide

Thanks Michael I didn't know that modem was acting as a router as well. This could explain some of the issues I'm having. Im tempted to swap out this modem for one that doesn't have a router built in but Spectrum's customer service blows. I'm not really sure how to put the Ubee modem into bridge mode so it acts only as a modem and not a router.

If I'm connecting the kindles to the nighthawk router, how does the Ubee router interfere with that?

Message 9 of 11
dgreen97
Guide

I got into the GUI interface for the modem but didn't see an option to turn the router off and set to bridge mode. 

Message 10 of 11

@dgreen97 wrote:

I got into the GUI interface for the modem but didn't see an option to turn the router off and set to bridge mode. 

There is help out there:

dvw32cb bridge mode - Google Search

The trouble is that "bridge mode" has several different meanings depending on the context. For example, it is also used to describe using a device as a "wifi bridge" that turns a router into an wifi extender (repeater).

This one promises to do what you need:

(1) UBEE DVW3201B Modem/Router Setting To Bridge Mode Bypassing To Use As Modem Only - YouTube

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7